Hard to start. 4 new glow plugs. Resistance too high. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard to start. 4 new glow plugs. Resistance too high.

Replaced 4 glow plugs and my bro-in-laws truck still runs rough when cool. I checked the resistances to each of them and it was :

Side I didn't replace:
~95
~18
~18
~18

Side I did replace:
~24
~24
~24
~24

Why would the new ones be so high? I used copper anti-seize...

Thanks.

1996 F-350 4x4, Reg. Cab, 7.3L PowerStroke, 4.10s, Luk SMFW, BDP 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake, BDP 6 Position Chip, BDP Stage 1s, BDP Modified IDM, BDP Dominator 66, Homemade AIC, Oilguard Bypass Filter. 235,000 miles.
TexasAggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

What are you using to measure resistance? Is that ohms that you are posting? Normal glow plug resistance is between 0.6 and 2 ohms. Since none of yours fall in that range, and since your new ones are identical, I suspect your meter isn't set correctly. What brand glow plugs did you use?
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a MSEE so I hope I was using the right setting but the meter is a POS. I'll probably send my Fluke over there to let him check it again with that one. The plugs are Motorcraft.

1996 F-350 4x4, Reg. Cab, 7.3L PowerStroke, 4.10s, Luk SMFW, BDP 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake, BDP 6 Position Chip, BDP Stage 1s, BDP Modified IDM, BDP Dominator 66, Homemade AIC, Oilguard Bypass Filter. 235,000 miles.

Last edited by TexasAggie; 10-23-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi Mike, I couldn't see where to Star A New Topic, so I'll pigtail it here. Haven't been on here in a hundred years or so.

I have a 2001 Dually with the 7.3 and only 80k on it. As you can cell I don't drive it much.

Recently it has been hard to start. It seems to turn over really fast, but has to turn over too many times before it starts. When it does start, it's just like always.

On the dash, tho, there is a red light that looks like a battery. I haven't tested my batteries because I thought the light might mean a bad glow plug and I can't lay my h ands on my manuel right now. Also, I didn't see any way it could turn over so rapidly with a bad battery. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Whadda y'all think?

Regards,

Jim, in the dusty deserts of NM (BTW, the air cleaner isn't dirty).

Jim, In The Deserts of New Mexico
jimdykes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lariat 7.3
the red batt light is for your alternator going out or quit

just hit 218,000

38R with Turbo Master
238/80% hybrids
Riff Raff FRx
5 inch miter cut stack
remote start.
Autometer C2 series gauges.

5.5 inch lift with blocks and shackle drops
DIESELSITE HEAVYDUTY BOOTS ALL AROUND.
ITP in tank kit-awesome! frame mounted pre-filter
20 in diamo rims-33in toyo A/T

DP-TUNER F6- no start,stock,60 tow codes, 80E codes, 120 race codes
DIY TYMAR with donaldson filter.
AIH cut off
hood insulation removed
always bright overhead display
05 style headlights with 14k HID'S
08 leather front seats
bypass oil system
running on WMO!
DIESEL SITE coolant filtration
Denso HT gear reduction starter. Soo fast!!!

Wish List..... BTS....Stage 3 hybrids.... Push rods and Spings!!
lariat 7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

FAST TURN-OVER, SLOW TO START

Quote:
Originally Posted by lariat 7.3 View Post
the red batt light is for your alternator going out or quit
Not if the altenator isn't running. It's only on before the engine starts.

So, it has nothing to do with the glow plug(s)?

It turns over as fast as always, but takes a whole lot of turns.

Regards,

Jim

PS- how do you start a new thread on here?

Jim, In The Deserts of New Mexico
jimdykes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
RT

When you are on the list of threads, in the upper left there is a button that says "new thread"

Click on this to get to that page within the 7.3 forum: 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
Old 10-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Now that I've been unhijacked, what' up with my glowplugs?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
RT

Since all four of your new ones showed the same reading (whatever value the meter was giving you) I suspect they are ok. The only one that was really out of range was the 95 - I suspect that one may be bad. I don't know if that is the source of your rough idle or not. It might be worth doing a cylinder contribution test.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Update:

I used a Fluke meter and seven glow plugs are good, one is bad.
The glow plug relay is good.
The fuel pump runs (don't know where to measure fuel pressure, but the filter bowl is full.
Oil on the dipstick.
Lopes while cranking, but will die immediately when you stop cranking.
Puffs black smoke while cranking.
RPM shows on tach and scan tool (up to 600, then falls off).
ICP is >2000psi while cranking.
ECU is commanding fuel according to scan tool.
All injectors pass the buzz test so UVCWH is not suspected.
Will run after plugging it in for a while.
~300k miles on original injectors except for the one we replaced, whose solenoid is much louder during the buzz test.

I think I will pull the VCs and watch for oil as well as run a compression test. I can tell you that the owner (bro-in-law) was not driving it much and it leaks a lot of oil. After failing CC test we replaced injector 8 and it still wouldn't start. Checked oil and there was none on the dipstick. Filled oil, no start. Check fuel tank, no fuel. So it may have been starved for fuel and/or oil at some point.

Any other ideas?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
RT

Read this: http://www.dieselpro.ca/Poppet%20Valve.pdf
Old 11-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Sounds legitimate. The easiest test is to look for oil coming out of the diverter while cranking, correct?

Old 11-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
RT

While cranking and while running when cold - and you have the perfect situation since you have one new injector to compare the other seven against.

If you have the valve covers off, there is no reason not to do the measurements as shown - especially since you've confirmed the injectors are muted during the buzz test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.