The Diesel Stop banner

HELP! 2000 F250 7.3L Dirty Water in Radiator/Water Pump Hose Disconnected

970 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Traveebeebop 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I took my truck on the highway over the weekend, 45 minutes there and back. pulling off the highway a little smoke was coming out the exhaust and from the motor. My temp gauge is broke so i wasnt able to see how hot it was getting until it started smoking, it was a good 85+ degrees and i was on a steady 85mph for the better part of an hour. Got home and opened the hood, the oil cap was popped off and the water pump hose was completely disconnected. I have no idea for how long but was it a ***** to get back on.

The radiator was drained so I threw water in and it just looks like brown loose dirty water.

My question is what does that mean and what has happened to my motor? Thanks.

#2 ·
There is no way to tell how bad this is just from your story. There are 6 hoses that carry water. Which one came loose? How much water did you have to put in it to bring it to level?

Bottom line, you need to do some testing. Probably the first thing would be just to verify the water level and start and run it. You may have to add more water when the thermostat opens. Get that gauge fixed and get a ScanGauge or similar so you can monitor your oil temperature. If you are really, really lucky, then the hose blew as you were pulling into the driveway and there is no real damage. Worst case scenario is you've cracked a head, block, warped a head, blown a head gasket, etc.

If your truck appears to be running ok and not overheating, then I would replace the hose in question (and maybe all of them) and then do a complete coolant flush and replace with an extended life coolant. Replace the cap as well. I'd change your oil given you don't know how hot you got it.

#3 ·
Thanks

It was the 1 and quarter inch hose at the bottom of the radiator connecting to the bottom of the water pump.
When i got home i immediately noticed the coolant reservoir was empty so i began to fill it with water which led to finding that the lower hose connecting the radiator to the water pump was detached. I let the water run through for a good 2 minutes before putting the hose back on and just putting hose water back in the reservoir, still looked a little brown but not near as nasty as it looked when i began filling it and letting it drain. I'm afraid its a blown head, it took me 10 minutes from the highway when the smoke first appeared to get to my house. I drove it 10 miles after it cooled and filled it back with water. I had coolant in it before this incident should i get coolant as soon as possible? I'm going to change the oil right away so i can see what condition its in. If the oil is dirty isnt that a sure sign i blew the head? Thanks for your time and info.

#4 ·
Ok so I just ran it, let it sit in idle for a couple minutes, checked the oil from the stick and there's no dirt, clean oil. No visible leaks anywhere and the water in the reservoir isn't fluctuating when i open and close it. steady where it needs to be. the water doesnt look dirty anymore either. no visible cracks or breaks from how much i can actually see of the motor. what is going on?

#5 ·
Sounds like you got lucky. I think you will be ok running water for a couple days while you verify its not overheating. If it's ok, then do the coolant flush. Don't be worried about the coolant color. That's just some scale and sediment that got stirred up. Really do need to get a gauge on this motor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.