help please - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry truck wont start when i turn the key, starts with push button

Hi I just bought a 2000 f350 with 7.3L for some reason it has a push button start. figured the ignition switch was bad so I changed it and still the truck doesnt fire or role over while turning the key. i checked the wires under the dash and there doesn't seem to be any missing, cut, or disconnected. also the starter motor relay coil fuse and the instrument cluster and hi beam headlamp fuse doesn't have power to it. I have an edge juice programmer brand new in box that I also cant hook up because when I plug it in it says no connection made. Is there anyone who can help me with this. Im lost and live in a little town that has part changers not mechanics and they just tell me to track wires. oh and im also getting around 9 miles to the gallon

Last edited by alaskan powerstroke; 11-13-2012 at 08:05 PM.
alaskan powerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

The edge communicates through the OBD port. That shares power with the cigarette lighter. Check that fuse.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

cig lighter fuse is good and the cig lighter works, i just dont understand why it wont power up. even with a diagnostic the only thing it reads is the rpm's
Old 11-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

ive tested and checked every fuse under dash and hood and there all good except the two i posted earlier.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Auto or standard? Have you tracked the wires from the push to start button?
AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"
Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

its an automatic, ive traced the wires and they both run strait to the fender wall at starter solenoid
Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (175)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan powerstroke View Post
also the starter motor relay coil fuse and the instrument cluster and hi beam headlamp fuse doesn't have power to it.
The starter relay coil fuse gets it's power from the Start output of the ignition switch. So that says that power isn't getting thru the ignition switch if you're checking with the key in start. That might be why the previous owner installed the pushbutton to the relay.

That fuse, #20 (15A) feeds thru the Transmission Range Switch (start only in park or neutral) and then to the starter relay.

The instrument cluster fuse #15 (5A) is the keep alive power for the instrument panel and should be hot at all times. It's fed by Fuse 22 (50A) in the underhood fuse box. The circuit runs thru connector #1049 (the top one of the three connectors going thru the firewall). That circuit being bad would also kill power to a bunch of other stuff in the under dash fuse box. Maybe the fuse box itself is corroded, causing the dead fuses. Windshield leaks can cause problems like that.

The high beam headlamp fuse #16 (15A) shouldn't be powered unless the light switch is on and the dimmer switch is set for high beams.

Where are you in Alaska? There are quite a few TDS members up here, and a lot are fairly familiar with these trucks.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Talking

ok so i got the key working again and got rid of the push start, tomorrow im going to check the obd11 again. i believe it will work after what i just fixed, im also going to check those fuses the way you are describing. im in wrangell ak.

Last edited by alaskan powerstroke; 11-15-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
ok so i got the key working again and got rid of the push start, tomorrow im going to check the obd11 again. i believe it will work after what i just fixed, im also going to check those fuses the way you are describing.
Glad you're making progress on it. If you need more information just holler.

Quote:
im in wrangell ak.
So I guess I probably won't be hopping in the truck to run over and help you troubleshoot it.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
RT

What? They don't have ferry service from the mainland? I didn't know Alaska went that far south. I learned something today...
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
What? They don't have ferry service from the mainland? I didn't know Alaska went that far south. I learned something today...
Yeah, they have ferry service, but it's a full day's drive from my place to Haines to get on the ferry, then a 2 day ferry trip from there to Wrangell. Don't forget that Alaska stretches from Savanna, GA to North Dakota to LA if overlaid on the lower 48. It's BIG!!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Funny seeing the map I recall inlaws coming from NJ to visit us in LA. They always asked could we go to the Golden Gate or see Frisco tonight? To imagine it being an 8 hour drive was hard to grasp. We kept maps in the kitchen so they could compare just driving to Orlando Fl for Disney World when visiting them in NJ. I just wish I knew more hunters in Alaska needing a spotter for moose or......... Yes I would take that 20 hour drive.

Early 1986 (1985) F250 Supercab stock 6.9 bought with 70,000 miles in 2008. Stock skinny wheels and stock 3:55 limited slip axles. Rebuilt trans with E40D first and second gears. SOLD

1999 F350 Dually 6spd manual trans. Banks exhaust, Modded impellor and Big Head Waste gate, DP TUNER flashed PCM, Full Force Diesel Single Staged Injectors. EBPV mod for exhaust brakes. Hutch Mod to gas tank. SOLD/TRADED

2001 Excursion Limited Auto trans many buttons I still am finding. Factory 3 inch lift low mileage. 100% stock today we will see what tomorrow brings.

AE scanner in the Inland Empire Sunny So Cal.

Autoenginuity

Living the dream 1-1/4 miles closer to heaven.
mtnsammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

so i got everything working and got the edge juice programmer in, it didnt seem to make a huge change. even on stage 5 performance, just doesnt seem to have any snap to it, i have banks 4inch with down pipe, edge chip, and airaid cold air intake, and im only getting like 9 miles to the gallon, any suggestions on any of this. i want to get some more snap out of this thing and or better fuel.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
well you havent mentioned how many miles are on it...is it lifted?size of tires?also mpg is definately affected by your right foot.having the edge on the performance setting is not good for mpg.my truck is lightly modded and i drive it easy,,, i get 15 mpg in town,,,but again all u to your right foot.
red elc good for 150k
4r100 1-2 2-3 3-4sonnax accumulator valves,.427 sonnax line pressure mod valve
4.125"yes thats 4 1/8" diy tymar intake(size matters...lol)
AIH delete,ccv delete,zoodad mod,
4" exhaust no muff
built my own leafs for 4.0 of lift!!!!!!
18" xd bronze revolvers with 325 nittos to wrap them
isspro pyro and boost guages on pillar mount....
tattoocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

i got 8 to 9 miles to the gallon before the chip, its a 2000 f350 extended cab 4door with 37's. not positive the size of the lift, its an older lift, it clears the 37's no problem, theres 278,000 miles on it. im not hard on it but i do use it. we are on a small island and its either stop and go or up and down hills. no highways and longest strait stretch is less then a mile lol. i just have a buddy down south that has an identical truck and gets 17mph. oh one other thing, how many pounds of boost should i have and why would my waiste gate vacume be unplugged and have a bolt in the tube hole? im finding a lot of goofy things with this ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.