Help with Replacing LIFT PUMP - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with Replacing LIFT PUMP

The dealership tells me my issue is my lift pump. They want 680 total for the pump and install. I ordered one from advanced auto for 179 and Im going to do it myself. I know where it is located, on the frame rail under the drivers seat. Besides the fuel line tool, do I need anything else to remove it and install a new one? How exactly do I do it? Do I need to buy more fuel line or anything? thanks in advance
2001 F250 7.3L White 4X4, Lariat Crew Cab, 7 1/2" Superlift, Mickey Thompson Classic lock Wheels wrapped in Dick Cepek 325/80/16 tires, 05-07 Grille and Headlights, wood dash kit, Pioneer Flip out DVD player, Cobra CB mounted under the 4x4 switch, DP-TUNER WITH STOCK, NO START, 80 ECON and 140 AGRESSIVE, DIY Intake with napa 6637 filter, IC Foil delete, new aftermarket tranny with sonnix shift kit and triple disc billet Torque converter, 4" Magnaflow Turbo back exhaust, Plantdrive wvo kit with 75 gallon external L shaped heated tank in the bed, Racor filter inline before the stock one, 146,000 miles
Browning01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Assuming it's the proper part, all you need to do is disconnect fuel lines and power connector, unbolt the old one from the frame, bolt the new one in place, and reconnect fuel line connectors and power connector.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

The factory replacement FUEL pump is way easy to change as it pretty much just bolts and plugs in.

I would not say the same for an aftermarket one as you probably are required to reuse the mounting bracket, some fuel lines and the wiring harness. In either case you will need a fuel line disconnect tool, not sure what size so you might want to just buy the set. Not too pricey and yes the cheapy auto parts store ones work just fine. if the truck is real dirty under there it might be good to pressure wash the area around the old pump first.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

real easy with fuel line disconnect tool....but i just went thru this and if you have access to some air blow back thru line going to the tank turned out my old pump was good the two filters in the mixing chamber was clogged,,,,,,,,,but maybe its just your pump....later
kspence101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning01 View Post
The dealership tells me my issue is my lift pump. They want 680 total for the pump and install. I ordered one from advanced auto for 179 and Im going to do it myself.
Dont. That pump is JUNK. Mine lasted 300 miles. The problem is that its a modified gasoline pump, and diesel has a different electrical resistance than gasoline (yes, the commutator brushes run bathed in fuel in most fuel pumps. I dropped my teeth when I discovered that - seems like we'd see these things bursting into flames on every corner...)

Spend the bucks and get the higher-priced Bosch pump available from AA, which is a direct OE replacement (the original pump was made by Bosch). Its also easier to install than the lower-priced hack job.
Alabamatoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am about to tackle the same project and I am wondering what the fuel line disconnect tool is and where I can get it?

Also, should I expect fuel to come gushing out when I disconnect the lines?
BTW, I'm doing it on an IDI... is the pump going to be in the same place as the PSD was?

Thanks so much!
'92 F-250 7.3 IDI Diesel 4:10 (99k) 4x4 ext cab (Prodigy brake controller)

'98 Ranger 4x4 ext cab - wheelin' in the mud

John Deere 510D Backhoe - it's not a ford, but it's nice
Steve250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve250 View Post
I am about to tackle the same project and I am wondering what the fuel line disconnect tool is and where I can get it?

Also, should I expect fuel to come gushing out when I disconnect the lines?
BTW, I'm doing it on an IDI... is the pump going to be in the same place as the PSD was?

Thanks so much!
You may want to post this down in the IDI forums. The 99+'s and the IDI engines are two different animals.

Jim
Old 10-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ok, I'll do that.
'92 F-250 7.3 IDI Diesel 4:10 (99k) 4x4 ext cab (Prodigy brake controller)

'98 Ranger 4x4 ext cab - wheelin' in the mud

John Deere 510D Backhoe - it's not a ford, but it's nice
Steve250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDeaf View Post
The factory replacement FUEL pump is way easy to change as it pretty much just bolts and plugs in.

I would not say the same for an aftermarket one as you probably are required to reuse the mounting bracket, some fuel lines and the wiring harness. In either case you will need a fuel line disconnect tool, not sure what size so you might want to just buy the set. Not too pricey and yes the cheapy auto parts store ones work just fine. if the truck is real dirty under there it might be good to pressure wash the area around the old pump first.
does anyone have a photo of a fuel line disconnect tool? i'd like to know what it looks like before i go to the parts store.

thanks,

johnnieboy
2002 green, f250 crew cab, lariat, 3.73, 4x4, linex, cyclone fan, bfgs 285/75 r16, isspro ttm, a.i.s intake, in tank/pre pump, racor prepump 30 micron filter, ad injector in #8, itp fuel regulator bypass,fuel cooler, titan 12000# hitch, aic, 3 gauge a pillar pod, magnefine filter, vandal alert, speed radio, stull grill, tru cool max tranny cooler, snugtop extra vision, banks monster exhaust
johnnieboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (178)
Check here for what they look like.

Fuel Line Disconnect Tool Set OTC7361

Most parts places will have a set with a range of sizes for $5-$10.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Just did this on Mama's Ex, and at first I bought a aftermarket.
When I pulled the old, and compaired it to the replacement I boxed it back up, returned it and sucked it up for the Ford unit. There just wasn't any polishing that turd.
T'was the right choice for me, your mileage may vary.
2005 Ameri-Camp F321QBS-BS
19' Sea Ray Pachanga
landcbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
Check here for what they look like.

Fuel Line Disconnect Tool Set OTC7361

Most parts places will have a set with a range of sizes for $5-$10.

thank you very much!
2002 green, f250 crew cab, lariat, 3.73, 4x4, linex, cyclone fan, bfgs 285/75 r16, isspro ttm, a.i.s intake, in tank/pre pump, racor prepump 30 micron filter, ad injector in #8, itp fuel regulator bypass,fuel cooler, titan 12000# hitch, aic, 3 gauge a pillar pod, magnefine filter, vandal alert, speed radio, stull grill, tru cool max tranny cooler, snugtop extra vision, banks monster exhaust
johnnieboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.