Help with replacing power steering pump hose ( pic included ) - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with replacing power steering pump hose ( pic included )

My power steering pump started leaking on me ( more like dumping ).....found out it was the connection pictured below. Ive pulled the batter turbo piping etc etc and have gotten to it, however am having problems getting those hose out. Am i missing something?

Any help would be appreciated as im trying to get it taken care of today
VitalVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

So i got part of it off, but still cant figure out how to get the hose out. On the one picture i put a red arrow to where it started leaking like crazy

Old 07-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Old 07-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

mine just blew off last night so im lookig for some help to. did you already get a replacement? if so what was the part number.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I still cant get the tube disconnected so i have not fixed it yet ( and the autostores were closed already ).

It seems like a relativly easy fix once someone can point me in the direction to get the hose detached.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

The part number is stamped on the metal fitting on the end of the power steering hose. Ford will have it in stock usually. You will also need an o-ring seal for the fitting you removed. There is a seal and gasket repair kit for the pump that has that o-ring you need, part number E1AZ-3B584-A. If you don't get that kit you will have to match an o-ring for the fitting.
2002 X PSD, Billy Boat 4", AirRaid, Gillett Diesel Service Turbo, High Output turbo exhaust housing, KCM HPX Crossover, ITP Overboost Annihilator, Gauges: Boost, EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and Water Temp

DP-Tuner 6 pos No Start - 140 Aggressive
Thanks Jody and Diane

Super Heavy Duty / Triple Disc 4R100 built by Jim Galatioto at ATO Transmissions in Sacramento.
NorCalDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

How do you get it off?
Old 07-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

I replaced it on my '97 recently and you just need to get open end wrenches for the two different sized "nut" like fittings and twist them apart. They are often seized together, but they will come apart. The first section should have stayed in the pump. The other should have come off with the metal tubing it was attached to. I realize that was probably clear as mud, but I know exactly what you went through. It would be expensive, but you could always go ahead and replace the pump while you are at it and you won't have to worry about it!
'90 F-350 XL Single Cab Box Truck 7.3 C-6 Auto
'93 E-350 Econoline 7.3 E4OD Auto
'97 F-350 XLT Centurion Crew Cab 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke E4OD Auto
forddieselfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2008, 12:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalVelocity View Post
How do you get it off?
Get the other side of the hose off the brake booster. Place the fitting (w/o-ring) in a vise being careful not to deform the fitting or over tighten. Using a box end wrench unscrew the hose off the fitting. Take it to Ford or auto parts store and get a replacement.

FYI when replacing the new hose / old fitting w/o-ring you should screw the brake booster side in first, but do not tighten. Then start the pump side by starting the hose end into the fitting (loosely) and then start the fitting with hose all together into the pump. If you install the fitting first you will be fighting to get the hose end started.

Also, in the SD's, taking the serp belt off makes it a lot easier to get your hand in to reinstall everything.
2002 X PSD, Billy Boat 4", AirRaid, Gillett Diesel Service Turbo, High Output turbo exhaust housing, KCM HPX Crossover, ITP Overboost Annihilator, Gauges: Boost, EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and Water Temp

Thanks Jody and Diane

Super Heavy Duty / Triple Disc 4R100 built by Jim Galatioto at ATO Transmissions in Sacramento.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ive tagged where its leaking from in the little yellow mark. Just want to make sure i am replacing the right part
Old 07-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

I hate to ask this and feel like such a newb but how do i get the metal fitting off the hose ( the yellow circle )

Old 07-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

It is all one piece. You have to unscrew the fitting from the metal hose end that came out of the pump. The other end of the hose is on the brake booster near the firewall. All in all it is about 2 feet long with a rubber hose section in the middle and metal hose ends. The section you have circled in yellow is going to be stamped with the hose part number you will need at Ford (it does not come off).

Yes, the place you are pointing to is where it is prone to leak. Also, when you reinstall your CAC tubes make sure that the hot side CAC tube is not rubbing against that hose end at the pump. When tightening the CAC hose clamps make sure to lift up on the CAC tube. Once it is tightened it will not be touching or rubbing the hose end.

When you are turning your wheels right and left, that hose is being forced to move due to pump pressure. Over time the hose end fitting becomes worn and allows fluid to leak. It can also wear a hole in your hot side CAC tube if it is allowed to rub.

BTW, the metal fitting is on the end of the hose and came out of the pump when you unscrewed the hose end. You need to separate that fitting from the hose end. The fitting has a o-ring seal you will need to replace.

Thanks Jody and Diane

Old 07-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

So is it primarily the hose itself or just the o ring that i need to replace?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

I used to be a parts salesman at advance auto, with them, when you buy a new hose, it comes with everything, new o rings and all. just double check the box before you leave the store to see that everything is in there.
EARLY 99 F350, CREW CAB, LONG BED. 4X4 7.3L AUTOMATIC. EDGE JUICE W/ ATTITUDE. 4" EXHAUST, NO MUFFLER, 6" TIP, COLD AIR INTAKE, BD: CCV KIT (WON ONLINE, THANK YOU BD). DVD PLAYER, PS2, IN DASH TV, POWER INVERTER, 2-10" INFINITY SUBS IN PORTED BOX. CLASS 5 REESE TOW PACKAGE, FLIP UP GOSENECK HITCH. CB/PA, WITH DUAL TRUCKER WHIPS. TOW MIRRORS, AND CAB LIGHTS, RECON LED TAILGATEBAR W/ REVERSE LIGHT, BUG GUARD AND WINDOW VISORS. 05 GRILL AND HEADLIGHT SWAP, 08 TAILGATE, 285/75 BFG ALL-TERRAINS, SHACKLE LEVELING KIT, AND BILSTIEN SHOCKS. 5% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, AND 50% ON THE WINDSHEILD.

SOON TO COME: 08 TAIL LIGHTS, CLEAR CABLIGHTS, RECON ESCALADE STYLE 3RD BRAKE LIGHT, STROBE LIGHTS, PROJECTOR BACKUP LIGHTS, 33X12.50 BFG ALL TERRAINS ON BLACK DICK CEPEK 17" RIMS, EDGE EVOLUTION PROGRAMMER (STACKED), RAPTOR HIGH PERFORMANCE FUEL PUMP, HIGH PERFORMANCE HPOP, POSSIBLY 10" STACKS!
BLOWINSMOKE99STROKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

The big (1") part your vice grips are on gets held whilst you turn the smaller (17MM / 3/4 inch) fitting off/out of it. Just did this yesterday myself. Napa hose was $34.00. Be sure to hold the other end in the same manner, or you might twist the tubing that links it to the booster...it's really simple to do..
There are two hoses to chose from @ Napa, take the old one with you. Yes, you replace the hose. The fitting that is leaking on yours can not be "repaired"...be sure the new hose does not rub on the steering shaft...mine did and rubbed through..
The pump and brakes might make a lot of noise for a while as the air gets bled out of the system...

BE SURE the two white neoprene / nylon washer looking gasket type "O" rings are with the hose while you are AT napa...I had to re-use a badly mangled one...it held, but still....

Last edited by OT-550; 07-14-2008 at 08:03 PM.
OT-550 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.