HELP! Truck keeps dying - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! Truck keeps dying

My truck keeps dying on me while driving. It gets worse and happens more frequently. I didnt think I was going to get home from work tonight. The engine speed drops to idle no matter what the throttle position is. The water in fuel light comes on and so does the wait to start and ses. It has completely died a few times as well. Most of the time when I crank there is no movement in the rpm needle and sometimes there is. Is this the sign of a cps. I just bought one today and will probably install tomorrow. Please help Thanks!
2000 Red Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel, 3 gauge pillar with Autometer Phantom 2 gauges, DP Tuner F5 Chip 60,80,120,140,lope idle, Visor, Volant Cold Air Intake, dual 5" chrome curved stacks, Grill painted to match truck, towing mirrors, tinted windows, 2006 style emblems, back rack w/ diamond plate toolbox. Smoked LED taillights, 150psi Air Horns. Yea this truck is shiny and clean!
Big_Red_I444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2007, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Re: HELP! Truck keeps dying

CPS? Possibly. Also pull, clean and tighten the right side battery cables - oddly enough, they can be good enough to crank, but not good enough to run the engine (This happened to me, I did not think to check it because it cranked so well, a Ford dealer tech diagnosed and fixed it - cheers to Ford dealer techs).

New college grad in my 50's - BS Computer Science; Regis University 2008 for Jesuit Universities!
'01 F350 PSD 4x4 CC SRW LB auto, 75k Mi
ISSPRO gauges, Hella Micro FF Fog Lights
Repairs: fuel filter gasket (3k mi), brake pull, Several GPRs , airbag, CPS, Auto-mechdiode-breakdown-trans (55k mi); High Presure Oil Pump Replaced (59kmi), Starter Solenoid (76kmi).

Also:
'95 Jeep Cherokee, 5" lift, 33" tires, dual ARB lockers, Warn winch, etc. 106kMi
'65 Corvette, 327, 365 HP, Red Convertible
Admirals's 2005 semi-Toyota-ly reliable Sienna - little stuff breaks on newer Toys but does not stop the car. Lotsa Door trim falls off.
Many small boats, shopping for a BIG boat on a trailer...
vettejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2007, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

Definately install the CPS and check back. The damn things go out at the worst possible times! Mine went out pulling the boat (7K) up the launch ramp.. If it is your CPS, and it really sounds like it is, then pick up a spare and put it in the glove box with a 10mm wrench..
K&N Intake, Coolant filter, Recon smoked LED litght: tail, Clearance, Center bumper, 3rd brake, Fat fender, Pressure pro TPMS, Firestone air bags, Alpine/Infinity/Polk sound system, Autometer Phantom EGT,Trans,Boost gauges above the rearview mirror.

For the BEST in performance parts and accessories ITP Diesel
Arizona Powerstroke Group
FionaThe02PSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2007, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is the water in fuel light and wait to start light part of diagnosing a bad cps? Should those lights come on when it fails?
2000 Red Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel, 3 gauge pillar with Autometer Phantom 2 gauges, DP Tuner F5 Chip 60,80,120,140,lope idle, Visor, Volant Cold Air Intake, dual 5" chrome curved stacks, Grill painted to match truck, towing mirrors, tinted windows, 2006 style emblems, back rack w/ diamond plate toolbox. Smoked LED taillights, 150psi Air Horns. Yea this truck is shiny and clean!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

My guess is that the lights would come on as if you had just turned the key to the "On" position without the truck running.
K&N Intake, Coolant filter, Recon smoked LED litght: tail, Clearance, Center bumper, 3rd brake, Fat fender, Pressure pro TPMS, Firestone air bags, Alpine/Infinity/Polk sound system, Autometer Phantom EGT,Trans,Boost gauges above the rearview mirror.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Heres the update. I installed a new cps this morning and the truck fired right up so I went on a test drive. I drove 4 miles to the gas station to get a coffee and left my truck idling. I pulled out of the station and about a 1/2 mile down the road the truck died. The only lights that came on were the ses and battery light. After a few attempts, the truck restarted. I then drove another 30 miles (highway and backroads) without any further issues. Where should I go from here? Could it be my dp-tuner chip acting up? Like I said, it only happened once out of about 35 miles. I'm stumped. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

When was your last fuel filter change?

Just to eliminate a possibility you might remove the chip and repeat your driving test. It usually isn't the chip especially a DP but stranger things have happened and it is a "No cost" test. The only problem is that if it is intermitent it may be difficult to track down.

Let us know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.