Hesitation during acceleration - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hesitation during acceleration

For about a month now my truck has a hesitation during acceleration. Almost like a jerking while picking up speed. I've noticed that it does it sometimes while at a cruising speed as well. Seems to be worse in the morning while engine is cold. I really haven't noticed any type of smoke from exhaust and truck still has plenty of power during heavy acceleration. It's a little difficult to describe. fuel filter has been changed and I'm not sure where to go next. Please advise.
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2006, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Re: Hesitation during acceleration

Does the SES light ever come on during this hesitation? If so then you will have codes stored. Those codes will help greatly in pin pointing the problem.
03 F250 SD PSD Lariat 7.3, FX4 Crew Cab Short Box, 3.73 Gears, Auto Tranny, Jody Tipton 80 HP Econo Tune, Turbo Back 4" Exhaust W/5" Tip, Home Made Tymar, Isspro Gauges, T/C Lock Up Switch, 203 Degree Thermostat, Coolant Filter, Upgraded Headlight Wiring Harness, Diode Mod for Dims, Bilstein Shocks, Kenwood Head Unit, Sirius Radio, Valentine 1
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry, I meant to add that. The SES light has never come on during these problems. I guess it's not a bad enough hesitation for that to happen. Here is a good discription: it's like a bad spark plug would act on a gasoline motor, almost like a miss. But it seems to graduall be gettin worse. And again, it is worse in the morning, not as bad in once the truck is run for awhile, but is still noticeable.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

Mine does the same thing. At crusing speed if you just barely rest your foot on the pedal it starts again right? When I chiped my truck it became more pronounced. So yesterday I ordered a TPS (trottle position sensor) Im going to give that a try. Im thinking it's starting to go bad. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Alternator*Dieselsite boots*203 thermostat*6.0 trans cooler*AIH delete*CCV*ITP/KCM (HPX)*Coolant filter*08 diff cover*engine mounted fuel gauge*triple gauge*((XM))

2004 Keystone Sprinter 297fwbhs 5th wheel
with most of the goodies
my3wags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, you are exactly right. Does yours do it worse when the engine is cold????
Old 06-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yep, seems to be a little worse when cold. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] do you have the adjustable pedals? This TPS is differant than the ones on a standard pedal. You cant just buy the TPS it's the whole pedal assembly!! I hope this is it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] i'm grabbing at straws here.
Alternator*Dieselsite boots*203 thermostat*6.0 trans cooler*AIH delete*CCV*ITP/KCM (HPX)*Coolant filter*08 diff cover*engine mounted fuel gauge*triple gauge*((XM))

with most of the goodies
Old 06-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Let me know the outcome, I've had a couple of people tell me it could be the wiring harness under the valve cover so your solution would be much cheaper. Does yours idle a little rough sometimes??
Old 06-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

No, no rough idle. One of the reasons I think its the TPS is because as soon as roll a little more into the pedal the symtoms go away. But as soon as I come back to the very top of the pedal, the symtoms come back. It dont matter what speed. I would call it a studder. I'll let you know what happens. My assembly is due in on Monday.

with most of the goodies
Old 06-15-2006, 07:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Can anuyone tell me how to check the wiring harness under the valve cover without pulling the covers?? And about how much is it to have them changed???
Old 06-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Having the same problem with my PSD. My SES light does come on but, haven't had a chance to check it. Problem seems to happen more in the afternoon when the truck is hot from sitting all day in the sun. Having problems with Cam Sensor as well, going to replace that soon. Any thoughts that the two problems might be related?

<font color="blue"> 2001 F250 7.3L Powerstroke Towing Package </font>
<font color="lt blue"> 1957 Chevrolet 210 Sedan *Original* 283 2bbl Rochester Carb </font>
supermantx3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

My truck has done this for probably 40k miles.

Only under very light throttle low RPMS and when not fully warmed up.

Otherwise it runs great, makes good power and idles fine so I have never persued it.

I always just assumed it was probably the injectors.
I also have no codes and no SES light.

When I put the stage III Hypertech program in there it got no worse or any better.
Mag-Hytec trans pan, 08 Diff cover.
2" leveling kit. RS9000 Shocks. B&W Turnover Ball/ Companion Hitch. Airlift 5000 airbags.
LineX, 20% tint, Weathertech liners.

2012 Heartland Sundance 3100RB 5th wheel. 36' @ 12k pounds.
468LC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2006, 12:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

I am really stumped here, what would cause your truck to idle rough intermitently like a miss but the rpms don't change and the engine sound does not change?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

i just bought 1 of the uvc wire harnesses from the international dealer 22$ then w/ my fed ex discount it was 15$. dealer wanted 85$ for the harness. be careful with your valve cover gaskets so you can possibly reuse them they are 60-80$ for one side at the auto stores, international dealer was 32$.
shimmed w/ calif. kit, 10k mod, ported snorkel,hypermax downpipe,ps2000 propane
45hp superchip,pcm code TDE1, TEXAS TROPHY HUNTERS decal!!
looking for hunting opportunities in the north mississippi area or s/w tennessee, deer and hogs , let the littles ones walk
missplaced texan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2006, 03:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Subscribing. I'm having the same symptons mentioned but no codes thrown. I would hate to spend $300.00+ on a pedal assem. and that not cure the problem. Also when mine is idling rough it does sound like a mustang with a rough idling cam in it. I wouldn't mind that if it was suppose to be that way but it isn't. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
4765453 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2006, 04:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Subscribing. I'm having the same symptons mentioned but no codes thrown. I would hate to spend $300.00+ on a pedal assem. and that not cure the problem. Also when mine is idling rough it does sound like a mustang with a rough idling cam in it. I wouldn't mind that if it was suppose to be that way but it isn't. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

$300 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] I just ordered my from here and it was 49.95. And I have the adjustable pedals. Even at the stealer it was only $95. I have my fingers crossed that this will cure it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

The only symptom that I dont have and some of you do is the rough idle. Mine idles perfectly [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

with most of the goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.