high idle when cold - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
high idle when cold

What sensors tell the computer to high idle when its cold. Mine hasn't high idled all winter, no matter how cold it is.
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (4)
Oil temp and outside air temp. The pcm reads these and signals the ebpv to close.
2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
woodnthings8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 01:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (175)
Auto tranny has to be in park and manual tranny has to have parking brake set (light on) for the cold idle-up to work.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

I noticed that even when I have the parking brake engaged the light on the dash doesn't come on. So I guess I'll start checking there.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFORDFAN View Post
I noticed that even when I have the parking brake engaged the light on the dash doesn't come on. So I guess I'll start checking there.
Mine has no high idle light? Like said above it must be in park, or parking brake on for standard. Mine starts, then in exactly 2min. the Idle picks up and the exhaust valve closes. You can really hear the difference, sounds like a jet engine warming up. If I touch anything driving related in the truck, like the brake pedal, the rpm drops immediately and the valve opens. This is because the computer thinks your going to drive, and shuts the system down. So try just starting it, don't touch nothing, get out and wait for 5 minutes to see what happens. Are you plugging in at night. Mine doesn't come on when I plug in as its too warm to start the system. I do live in Canada and its cold hear, so I assume if your plugging in then it won't go. If all fails, then I might check the temp. sensors. Most likely oil temp. Is your temp gauge working?
2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD,Full Load, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2005 Case 580 sm2
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
Absolute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

No parking brake light, check the switch on the parking brake, or maybe the dash light is burned out. The plunger on the switch can sometimes stick. I am not aware of a high idle light.

Lifetime Member "BTS BUBBA" Association
"Ain't no feelin like BTS mobilin"
SLAPS Member
Sold 62 Corvair 95 Bus
92 Buick deuce and a quarter
03 Ford Windstar- Granny Hauler
HighwayPrisoner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
There is no high idle light, he was talking about the parking brake/e-brake light. Mine no longer comes on, but I have an auto tranny so if I'm in park it will still high idle.

For the light, check the switch down by the e-brake peddle, it normally just needs adjustment.
Todes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFORDFAN View Post
What sensors tell the computer to high idle when its cold.
Primarily the engine oil temp (EOT) sensor. If EOT is less than about 122 F. and the intake air temp (IAT) says it's cold out, then the engine idle RPM will elevate after a coupla minutes if idling. How much the RPM elevates depends on how cold it is. Max is 900 for '99s and 1,300 RPM for 2000-up models when it's really cold.

Quote:
Mine hasn't high idled all winter, no matter how cold it is.
If all the conditions are met (automagic tranny in park or E-brake mashed if 6-speed handshaker), fat feet not touching anything) that could be either the EOT or IAT sensors, but you should also have an idiot light if one of those sensors is on the blink.

Per the book for my '99 7.3L:

Engine Oil Temperature Sensor
The Engine Oil Temperature sensor is a thermistor mounted to the oil reservoir whose resistance decreases as engine oil temperature increases. The Engine Oil Temperature signal is used by the PCM to calculate fuel quantity, injection timing, glow plug operation and exhaust back-pressure.

At oil temperatures below 50C (122 F), low idle is increased to a maximum of 900 rpm to increase engine warm-up.
{note: that's for '99 7.3L. For 2000-'03 7.3L, that same book says: "At low ambient air temperatures, and oil temperature below 50C (122F), low idle is increased to a maximum of 1300 rpm to increase engine warm-up." There is no '99.5 book, but I suspect the '99.5s use 1,300 as the max elevated idle RPM}
Fuel quantity and timing is controlled throughout the total operating range to provide adequate torque and power.

An Engine Oil Temperature signal detected out of range, high or low, by the PCM will cause the PCM to assume an engine oil temperature of 20 C (68F) for starting purposes and 100 C (212F) for operating purposes. The Malfunction Indicator Lamp in the instrument cluster will be illuminated as long as the fault condition exists.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensors
The IAT signal provides air temperature information to the PCM. The PCM uses the air temperature information to operate the Exhaust Back Pressure (EBP) system and to determine the cold idle setpoint. During long idle periods at cold ambient temperatures, the setpoint will increase engine rpm.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fault codes:

code.footnote.circuit.condition................... ............ probable causes
P0112 b IAT Intake air temp. sensor circuit low input Grounded circuit, biased sensor, PCM
P0113 b IAT Intake air temp. sensor circuit high input Open circuit, biased sensor, PCM, short to 5v
P0197 a, b EOT Engine oil temp. sensor circuit low input Grounded circuit, biased sensor, PCM
P0198 a, b EOT Engine oil temp. sensor circuit high input Open circuit, biased sensor, PCM, short to 5v

The a and/or b footnotes means the MIL (idiot light) will come on.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 01-29-2010 at 11:45 AM.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm leaning toward the switch at the e-brake because I don't have any other indicator lights coming saying something is bad. But I got other issues now, I have a big green puddle under the passanger side of the radiator!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (175)
To clarify what Smokey said, the a footnote says:

"(a)Check Engine light illuminates when fault is detected in second drive cycle (California, OBDII calibration)."

I know that the SES did not come on when I forgot to plug the IAT sensor in when I was doing some work once.

If it isn't a sticky parking brake switch, then you should probably get the codes pulled.

Sorry about the green puddle.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm also having problems with my High idle engaging. I have a 2002 excursion and one day it just stopped coming on. I have no idiot lights in the dash so I don't know whats up. Maybe it just hasn't gotten cold enough. Any thoughts would help out alot. Thanks
marlinbrando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
I've had to clean the contacts on the switch on my e-brake pedal a couple of times. It's ready to have it done again. That switch grounds a circuit telling the PCM it can start the high idle.

I know in my dad's '03 6.0L auto I can't figure out what I need to do to get it to idle up. seems it'll just do it when it feels like it.

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.