How can I increase my MPG? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How can I increase my MPG?

I'm going to be moving about 35 miles out of town and I'll need to commute to and from work, so I'd like to pick the brains of TDS members on some tips or upgrades I can make to help ease the cost to the ever rising fuel prices. Most of the trip will be interstate. So any tips on driving? I'd like to say that I'm a fairly conservative driver, I don't drive very aggressively. But I've found that on previous trips that if I drive around 70mph ( around 2000 rpm) my MPG are a litttle better? Any true to that or is it just a tail wind helping me out? Thanks in advance for all the advice. Jackson
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Drive slow and MPGs will increase. If you have the patience to do 60 or 65 the whole time, your MPGs will definitely increase. Follow the 2K rule (keep RPM under 2000) to help MPG.
2000 F-250 Ex-Cab Shorty - 4x4 - 7.3l - Auto - CAT ELC - 203* - Dieselsite Coolant Filter - AIH Delete - ITP HPX - Bilsteins - Walker BTM - Ford Severe AIS - CCV Canister - SCMT 1700 - Harpooned Tank w/ ITP Pre-Pump Kit - 321k

My truck pics

Check out my 1964 Toyota FJ40 Build
tjsulli790 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Maybe get an economy flash on your pcm. Just a flassh should be pretty cheap. Make sure your tires are aired properly.
2001 F-350 CC ZF-6 DRW 4x4 4.10, 7.5 ton modified J&I flatbed dump, Rifraff frx, Garret BB, Non EBPV pedistal, IH bellowed pipes, DP tuner F-6 chip, SB dual disk, Midwest short shifter, Ranch Hand legend front end, Ford AIS, AGR super pump, AGR gearbox, Mile Marker 10k hydraulic, 4 inch turbo back, Riffraff boots, Pacbrake, 2WD Low mod, ISSPRO boost, pyro, trans gauges, DIY gooseneck/bumper hitches, Prodigy brake controller, 4 leaf overload springs, Viair compressor with horn, Dieselsite 203* t-stat, ESOF lines, DIY Oil HX mod, 08 mirrors, 245/70r19.5 tires. All led lights.

1997 F-250 EC SB ZF-5, E-fuel, Full Force stage 1s, DP F-5 chip, Swamps IDM, 6637 filter, 3in downpipe to 4 in exhaust muffler delete. Leveling kit on 18 weld wheels and 35's, all led lights, Reunel Rear bumper, Flatbed w/stackrack

AE in Northern California
fire57dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Some people recommend a bed cover, I don't have one, but I remember others mentioned it helped their mileage. Make sure your air filter's good. You could get a bicycle;0
2001 Silver F-250 7.3L 4WD, extended cab, 130k miles, BF Goodrich A/T 285/75; BTS auto tranny w/6.0 cooler, AIS severe duty intake and filter w/Zoodad mod, 6 position chip from BTS, 4" turbo-back exhaust, Magnaflow muffler w/5" tip, Speedliner sprayed-in liner, Monroe Reflex shocks, Isspro pillar gauges
sparvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

All the usual before you spend money on anything aftermarket - have the alignment checked, keep the tires aired up properly and check weekly, injectors cleaned or replaced depending on mileage, air filter, fuel filter, fresh lube in the diffs.....ETC. Good maintenance pays at the pump and vehicle longevity.

If you've got all that covered, try some of the aftermarket stuff. But that's money that's hard to recoup. As mentioned, feather the throttle at low speeds and keep it at 65 or 60 if you can stand it and you'll get some good numbers.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Use all synthetic fluids.
Keep it washed and waxed to reduce air resistance.
Keep the stock tires aired up as much as possible.
Don't have any lift.
Perfect alignment.
Don't drive too fast.
Change the oil frequently, clean oil has less internal friction.
Get a bypass oil filter to keep the oil even cleaner.
Some people have reported a slight mpg increase with the 203* thermostat.
Change to thinner, harder, but not taller tires.
Don't use an aggressive tire tread, the smoother, the less rolling resistance.
Change the fuel filter and drain the water on schedule.
Check the air intake monitor, and change the air filter when necessary.
Check all of the tubes around the turbo for leaks.
Check the brakes to make sure that they are not dragging.
Don't carry any extra weight in the truck.
If you are really desperate, switch to biodiesel that you make yourself from used vegetable oil that you collect from restaurants, or modify the truck to run directly on used vegetable oil.
2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 170,000 miles, repairs so far: starter, batteries, cps, brakes, tires.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
DonWarkentin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.