How difficult is the 4R100 rebuild? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How difficult is the 4R100 rebuild?

I thought about trying to rebuild my tranny myself withthe help of a mechanic friend. Is it worth it or should I just pay to have it done? Also what is the best service manual for our trucks, I want one with detailed instructions and pictures.
K&N Filter w/ "zoodad."
315x75xR16 BF Goodrich TA KO, 3.73 gears
Monsterbox Trans
TrentonJackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: How difficult is the 4R100 rebuild?

Pay someone to have it done.

It's easy to rip them apart, but putting it back together normally requires special tools.

I had problems rebuilding a th350, one of the most basic autos there is, I can't imagine what a 4r100 would be like.
2000 F-250 Ex-Cab Shorty - 4x4 - 7.3l - Auto - CAT ELC - 203* - Dieselsite Coolant Filter - AIH Delete - ITP HPX - Bilsteins - Walker BTM - Ford Severe AIS - CCV Canister - SCMT 1700 - Harpooned Tank w/ ITP Pre-Pump Kit - 321k

My truck pics

Check out my 1964 Toyota FJ40 Build
tjsulli790 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Go to www.atsg.biz. That is the automatic transmission service group, they have repair/rebuild manuals for lots of trannys, including the 4R100. I am thinking about finding a used 4R100 and getting a book and attempting to rebuild it. I can take my time and rebuild it rock solid and pay for it slowly. I was going to try and do my own but I couldn't remember where to get the book and I didn't really have time to have the truck off the road.

I'd say give it a try, if you have confidence in yourself you can do it, especially if you have a book that tells you everything. I have heard that the autos are actually very simple if you have a guide to follow, but I have never tried it.
1705 SUPERCHIPS TUNER
QUADZILLA COMMANDER
CUSTOM HEADACHE RACK
CUSTOM ACCESSORY SWITCHES
DAKOTA DIGITAL VOLT GAUGE ON STEERING COLUMN
JVC IN DASH DVD PLAYER
brindleboxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

This mechanic friend. Does he have tools and knowledge of the 4R100? If so, I would try it. If not, I wouldn't
01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear.
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2007, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Unfortunately my friend is a Dodge man, he works as a Toyota mechanic, but is pretty good at working on big stuff. The only Powerstroke he has worked on is mine though. He helped another buddy of mine rebuild a 94 Chevy transmission.
K&N Filter w/ "zoodad."
315x75xR16 BF Goodrich TA KO, 3.73 gears
Monsterbox Trans
TrentonJackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2007, 09:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

im just about do everything but when it comes to trannys i wont rebuild them not becasue the scare me but because for one you need certain tools and second they are one big @$$ tranny for a pickup and i really dont want to be pulling it more than once. so a buddy of mine is doing my rebuild for me. but he works at a tranny shop and is really good with setting them up to be built tough. i mean really tough.
rebuilt trans with transgo tugger shift kit and billet face torque convertor.
foil delete mod
PRCI powersteering pump and reservoir
285/75/16 BFgoodrich AT's (winter tire)
315/75/16 Bfgoodrich Mud terrain (summer tire) New style

and im on my 4th tranny in 2 years......people cant build them i swear!!!!
RebelliousRacing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2007, 09:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rebuilding trannys arn't that fun because one screw up and it won't work or you will burn the thing up in no time this is one thing I will leave to the pros like BTS or JW.
AFE STAGE 2 INTAKE,4" MBRP TURBO BACK EXHAUST WITH A 5" TIP,
DETROIT LOCKER,MAG-HYTEC DIFF COVER,LIMO TINT ON ALL WINDOWS,
2 VIAIR 480 COMPRESSORS,8 GALLON AIR TANK,NATHAN P3 TRAIN HORN
THEDIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2007, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately my friend is a Dodge man, he works as a Toyota mechanic, but is pretty good at working on big stuff. The only Powerstroke he has worked on is mine though. He helped another buddy of mine rebuild a 94 Chevy transmission.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then the answer is "NO"
01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear.
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)

Get the ATSG service manual on eBay. I see no reason why a guy with some prior trans experience couldn't rebuild one of these transmissions if you have the time. Just make sure you really trust your buddy, you need a VERY clean place to work. Use no red rags (no cotton lint ball infested rags) and you both read that service manual about five times each before starting. Lots of great aftermarket parts out there for these trucks.

Keep in mind, on this board the 4R100 is regarded as some sort of mystical beast. Around here if you ask for help with the simplest of 4R100 problems the only answer you will be given will result in a "have it rebuilt by BTS" answer on this board.

Parts is parts, they aren't magical...
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Piece of Cake....................................If your name is
Brian and you work in Lead Hill, Arkansas.
Ive seen the inside of these trannys, I am very mechanically inclined,
I wouldnt touch it if Brian live next door to me and he was my best
buddy.
I dont like paying for anything that I can do myself. And I usually
do not, But this is one I leave to ( and pay) the pro's to do.
DIESELSITE BOOST RELIEF VALVE, 203^ THERMOSTAT AND HOUSING, MAX A/C VALVE AND COOLANT FILTER
ATS TURBO HOUSING, FORD A.I.S., OILGUARD BY-PASS, 4" MAGNAFLOW STRAIGHT PIPE, SIDE EXIT,
NCHORNET'S CCV MOD, POR-15 OIL PAN
ISSPRO A-PILLAR PYRO/BOOST/TRANS, ISSPRO ENGINE, OIL TEMP AND VOLTS OVER MIRROR
MARINCO MOD, LED ID BAR, HEATED SIGNAL MIRRORS, LED BRAKE AND TURN SIGNAL BULBS FRONT AND REAR
RHINO BED LINER, SIRIUS RADIO ,
AMERICAN EAGLE WHEELS WITH 305-70-16 NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS WITH A 2" DONAHOE LEVELING KIT
TRUCK BUILD DATE 1/8/02
BTS BUILD DATE 1/8/07 AT 41K
My Truck
remedm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2007, 07:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Here's a link to a write up on a e4od rebuild. http://www.[censored].com/projects/e4od/index.htm
Similar transmission so it should give you and idea of what you're up against if you do decide to do the work yourself. Looks to me like it is do-able as long as you pay close attention and keep things clean. There are a couple of special tools that you need but I suspect a person could come up with those if you really wanted to. The biggest advantage I see in having BTS or Woods do the work is you know it will be done correctly, including any thing out of the ordinary that should come up during the rebuild. It's always the unexpected things that get you into trouble and the experience these guys have is worth a few extra bucks. Be sure and keep us informed if you do decide to go ahead on your own. There is a lot of interest in upgrading these transmissions and it would be interesting to see how a "non pro" does on a project like this.

Good Luck
2001 F250 Lariat 4X4 John Wood towmaster auto, crew cab, short bed, 4 inch lift, 35x12.5x18 tires, ISSPRO three guage pillar mount guages, 6.0 trans cooler, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust, DP F5 tuner, Ford AIS
OlBrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2007, 09:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

I am looking to preemtively attack this as well, I want to start connecting with people because we aren't the first that want to attack this problem. If we work together and post results and lessons learned then the next person that comes along will not be dismayed by people saying to buy certain brands and stem their curiosity.

Just my two cents, post lessons learned on webshots and post results and questions here on the forums.

Good luck
Jeremy
Old 07-29-2007, 11:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

i rebuild these trans all the time at the dealer and for friends ,to me they are easy but you will need some special tools to compress the o/d cylinder down
jpb620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2007, 12:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Rebuilding trannys arn't that fun because one screw up and it won't work or you will burn the thing up in no time this is one thing I will leave to the pros like BTS or JW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, One mistake & your doing it again. Then you may as well have had someone who looks at them every day do it.

I'm a certified Tech, owned my own shop for years before selling it to the local Ford dealership in Mich. I've had many auto's apart & I had Brian do mine.

A friend on here, Mark. Was a trans rebuilder for years, & had Brian do his magic. Why, because the same reason. Brian only specializes in the Ford trans & could likely do them in his sleep.

The reason so many say to have Brian do it, is because of his warranty & service to his customers. With those standards, why even mess with it?

As Brian assembled my trans, he explained the special goodies he does as extra, some of these things I could NOT have easily bought in a kit to do myself. Therefore I was paying for his years of knowledge, which as a Tech, I value.
01 7.3 F250 CCSB 4x4 "Platinum" BTS Trans, 38r
01 7.3 F250 CCSB 4x4 BTS Trans, US Gear OD, Banks Exh.
00 7.3 ECSB DI Perf engine, GT42R, BTS Trans 638hp dyno'd
97 7.3 ECLB 4x4 Irate Turbo Kit, BTS Trans 402hp Dyno'd
96 7.3 F250 CC SB "TruckYeah" 4x4 BTS Trans, 38r, Lot's of Mods, 400HP at the tires
97 F350 CCLB 2x4 DRW 7.3 Stock
97 F250 ECLB 2x4 7.3 Stock
"Family of 5 saved by Grace"
Snowman269 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2007, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Common sense is all it takes to rebuild anything little skill and some good American know how. I rebuilt my e4od in the garage. Only purchased one tool. About 5 feet of 2x4 a small piece of 3/16 plate steel and that was it. I came in about 1500$ cheaper then a BTS and I would bet its no different if not better inside. I know I have a better converter.
1997 F-250 PSD, 130k, 4x4, Outlaw E4ODX, Standard Cab, reg bed, 3.55 LS rear, Swamps 225/146 injectors, Autometer Guages Pyro/Boost/Tranny, 3" downpipe, 3.5" adjusted exhaust, ts 6 pos chip, Tonys fun programs, Tru-Cool H7B, 285/75, factory alum rims, Western V-Plow, 6.0 intercooler installed not plumbed

I wish my lawn was Emo, cause then it would cut itself
Some people are blinded--because they have all the answers
Racerxpower.com for your upgraded E4OD/4R100 needs
BlindViper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.