How do I bleed air from the fuel system? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2006, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do I bleed air from the fuel system?

Hi, I have a 99 F-250 7.3 PS.

The last time I changed the fuel filter it took a couple of days before all the air worked itself out of the system and the motor started to run nice and smooth again. I thought this was odd but again, eventually the air was gone and all was good again.

Today I ran out of fuel on the way to the gas station. I happened to have a can of fuel oil in a can in the back so I poured it in, cycled the fuel pump twice, cracked the petcock on the fuel filter canister (opened it breifly to relieve air and closed it) and cranked for about 15 second. It didn't start but then again I didn't expect it to that soon. I cracked the petcock again to bleed more air out and cranked it again. This time it started ran rough but ran.

After about a minute it started to run slightly better so I continued on to the gas station and filled up with fuel.

I did some running around and then went home. By the time I was almost home it was running pretty good but not quite 100%. I'm guessing that by tomorrow it'll be back to normal.

My question is this, is it normal for it to take that long for it to bleed all the air off?

And, is there any way to bleed air out other than the petcock?

My old truck, 88 F-350 7.3 International Diesel, would bleed all the air out within an hour.

Should my 99 take so long to bleed itself?

Thanks,

Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2006, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Re: How do I bleed air from the fuel system?

Yes they can take along time to get the air out of the heads since the fuel dead ends there. The key is to not get air there in the first place so don't run out of fuel and after you change the filter turn the key on and let the pump run until you hear it build pressure and stop. That is what I do and I hav enever had a problem after changing the filter. The fuel returns to the tank from the filter housing so that should get all of the air out before it gets a chance to get in the heads. The only way to get the air out of the heads would be to pull the plugs in the back and that would be a big pain.
2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"What you want is irrelevant, what you have choosen is at hand." - Mr. Spock
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2006, 02:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

Hi Wayne,

When changing the filter or when your out of fuel:

Open the filter drain, KOEO 3 times for 20sec each time, close filter drain, start engine. This has worked well for me in both circumstances and my every two years of tank cleaning.

If you pumped air in the fuel rails, then it'll take awhile of engine run time to remove the air or you can bleed the rails at the head plugs if the engine fails to start.

When your out of fuel, just don't crank on it until you fill the rails with air is the key. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

You can check for air in the fuel system by opening the filter drain at idle rpm and observe the fuel stream for air bubbles. At idle rpm, the fuel pump will pump about 1gpm of excess fuel. Do NOT raise the rpm above idle rpm while the filter drain is open.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
02 F350, 4X6, Crew, DRW, LWB, PSD, 6spd, 3:73, Island Blue, Stock, AEB2, Phoenix Az
Buy UNION work UNION. It pays off in the long run
Define Union:
A labor Union is nothing more than united workers with a common goal for better working conditions.

We all are in some sort of labor Union, some are just larger than others with better working conditions!
T_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Great info! Thanks guys.

When I ran it out of fuel I didn't have a chance to shut the key off at first sign of run out. I was trying to keep the power brakes and steering long enough to get around the corner and off the main road to pour fuel in.

I avoild running out like the plague but this time I just cut it too damn close. I could have poured that fuel in but it was old and I didn't want to have to use it unless it was absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the help,

Wayne
Old 01-25-2006, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've got a busted fuel gauge and have run it out once or twice due to my own idiocy. However, I have found that rather than doing all this fancy legwork, the easiest and most effective way to get the air out, Once you get it running, drive it like you stole for a few miles and it will be fine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

------------------------------------------------
Necessity is the mother of invention.
If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed fixing anyway.

01 F-250 PSD 4x4 Extended Cab, Bully Dog Chip, Homemade Tymar, AIH delete, Fumoto Drain Valve, Wicked Wheel.
griffy71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.