How to fix P0237 Sensor A error? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2005, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to fix P0237 Sensor A error?

I have already tried changing the MAP sensor...no good. I understand that it can be a short to ground, but where in the heck is the wire starting at, and where does it end up....maybe I can cut and run a new wire? I'm trying to ask how to troubleshoot this code and elliminate it. My truck has been showing the SES light for 6 months now with this code, at first it would co9me and go, then shortly there after it was on for good. I have removed all my Banks programming (Big-Hoss and 6-Gun) and cycled the key 6 times, removed the battery terminals for 30 min...and start her up only to find that its not related to the Banks stuff. It has to be a chafed wire some place. Please help!
Banks Big-Head Actuator (set at 25 PSI), Banks Quick Turbo, Banks Compressor Wheel, Banks 4" Exhaust system but straight piped!, Banks Intercooler, Banks TQ Convertor, Banks Trans-Command, Westin Nerf Bars
Ultimate Bull Bar, Helwig rear sway bar, V-code springs, 2 HELLA 500 Driving lights, 2 KC Dayliters, Lights mounted on a custom home fabricated mount on the Ultimate Bull Bar.
285-75-16 MT Tires, Visor over windshield and rear air dam over hatch. Custom painted monochromatic in factory dark green. Amsoil 3000 Synthetic engine oil With AMSOIL EA Synthetic Filter and Amsoil Synthetic differential lube. Warn manual hubs.
I'm ready for a hook at the next truckpull!
larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2005, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Re: How to fix P0237 Sensor A error?

P0237 - MAP - Turbo boost sensor A circuit low input - Circuit open, short to ground, MAP sensor

The wiring from your MAP sensor goes to the PCM.
The MAP sensor is a 3 wire device with the following circuits

Vref - Circuit 351 Brown/white - You should see 5 V on this with the key on. goes to PCM connector pin 90
MAP Signal - Circuit 358 Lt Green/Black goes to PCM connector pin 79
Signal Return - Circuit 359 Grey/Red goes to PCM connector pin 91

Hope that helps
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
NYB

My Photos: (7)
Going back 9 years in my search for answers to the same question, I stumbled on many similar threads where the final resolution to the original problem is never posted. I hope someone can help:

- SES light out of the blue...

- DTC Code: P0237 (MAP Sensor Signal Return Circuit A low... less than 0.04v)

- Cleared code with NGS, and it immediately reappears in less than a second (25ms polling rate).

- Visually checked wiring, which was protected in doubled up heat resistant protective loom.

- In the 2000, 01, 02, & 03 PCED manuals, PinPoint test DH6 for DTC P0237 calls for less than 5 ohms resistance between the disconnected MAP sensor harness connector at Signal Return Circuit 359 (Gray w/ Red stripe) and ground, with Key ON, engine off. With a Fluke 87, I measured 771,000 ohms to the nearest firewall ground point, and 841,000 ohms directly to the nearest negative battery terminal.

- HOWEVER, In the 1999 PCED, PinPoint test DH6 calls for less than 5 ohms resistance between the disconnected MAP sensor harness connector at Sig. Ret. Cir. 359 (GY/R) and ground, with Key OFF. I measured 0.8 ohms to the nearest firewall ground point, and 4.5 ohms directly to the nearest negative battery terminal.

- I have a 2000. The 1999 PCED makes more logical sense, due to the results of OTHER TESTS PERFORMED (see below). But since I have a 2000, I don't know what to believe. Some things change, some things stay the same. For example, there was a change between 1995 and 1996 with respect to the MAP signal wiring and the PCM. There was also a change between 1997 and 1999 in MAP signal wiring (moving from PCM pin 34 to pin 79). There was also a major wiring change between 2001 and 2002, but I don't believe that wiring change effected MAP signaling. There is also such a thing as typos. It could be that when the 1999 PCED was updated to 2000, a typo was made and missed, that carried forward to successive years. There is also such a thing as evil. It could be that when Ford was required by the EPA to make PCED manuals open source and free, they put a few puzzles in there to keep the independent shops puzzled and the Ford dealer service departments in business. I know, I'm reaching here, but I am in the puzzled camp right now. The 1999 PCED pinpoint test came from a paid for print, and the other years were checked for free online. Sigh.

OTHER TESTS PERFORMED (All PASSED) :

- DH7 Voltage REF Circuit 351 Brown w/White stripe was indeed 5.1 volts. Tested at MAP harness connector (with MAP sensor disconnected)

- DH8 Continuity between Circuit 358 Green w/Black stripe and PCM test Pin 79 was indeed less than 5 ohms... actually 0.6 ohms to be exact. Ford 104 pin breakout box used for this test, with PCM connected.

- DH9 No shorts to ground found between PCM test Pin 79 and case ground, power ground, and all other grounds at PCM pins 25, 51, 76, 77, 91, & 103. Breakout box (BOB) used with PCM disconnected, as instructed.

- With Key ON, Engine OFF, I measured voltage between pins 90 VREF and 91 Signal Return Ground, and found 5.1 volts as expected.

- With PCM disconnected, I measured resistance between Circuit 359 Signal Return and Pin 91, and found 0.1 ohm resistance. To my mind, this means that there is no physical problem with that Gray & Red wire (the one that measured 800,000 ohms in DH6).

And THIS is why I suspect that the PCED for 2000-2003 might be in error for Pinpoint test DH6.

However, I still have DTC P0237, which is what started all this in the first place.

Last edited by NYB; 03-14-2014 at 12:20 PM.
NYB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Any chance a range button was accidentally hit while performing first test?
Your second test showed good so I would see what scanner says for reference voltage.Is it showing. 5 ? See what scanner says for battery voltage.No matter what it says on scanner check it at battery.
Maryland dieselnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

That 5 volts you are measuring there with it in the driveway might diminish while driving with a bad charging system/circuit.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
NYB

Actually, the range button was PURPOSELY pressed, after it first came up 0.771 megaohms. The Fluke is auto ranging, but I toggled through all the scales anyway.

After reading your post, I ran back outside and rechecked battery voltage. It was good last night, but hours of the hood being left up, doors open, dozens of Key ON cycles with glow plugs burning and underhood light and cab interior lights burning brought batteries down to 12.07 volts, checked at the batteries. I put them on a small charger now, and they quickly jumped back to 12.45 volts before I headed back in to answer this.

I've got dual alternators, and $460.00 worth of AGM batteries on tap. But my truck is not cocky or anything. That was a seriously good call on your part, so thank you, because all this yet to be determined diagnosis time without a recharge of the batteries would likely skew future results, compounding frustration on top of the current frustration.

Last edited by NYB; 03-14-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have aS ap on Blue point that is a fluke and there is something with the spot they picked for the range button that I am constantly inadvertently hitting it and going oh what the hell.99percent of the time it happens I am doing the funky chicken in the engine compartment of a lifted truck no less.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
NYB

Ha ha... no accidental meter button presses over here. I'm super careful about that sort of thing, to a fault I think. You probably get more done in a day than I even think about doing for an entire year.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Not sure about that.I am starting to wind down a bit.No more bottom ends.I will do top ends,fuel system and hydro systems.i have two shop I flip any kind of work that will tie me up for any kind of time that is substantial.Some shops will call for diagnostic stumpers,but once I get it their mechanic takes over and I am like wind through the trees with my check.
It is a physically fit young mans game and I am no longer.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
NYB

UPDATE #1:

Ok, the SES light hasn't returned since I fired it up this morning. That doesn't mean that my problem went away for good. It just means that "the problem could not be duplicated" today. I'll reserve judgment until after a few drive cycles.

Below is my PID report for four stationary rpm levels that I tested a few minutes ago, picked at random off what was saved in the memory of my APCM:

Note 1: The EBP and EBP_V are constantly moving targets within a small amplitude range, so I picked and reported a midpoint within that range for each RPM level.

Note 2: The VREF PID is reported for the exclusive benefit of Nick.

Note 3: Inexplicably, the MAP Hertz reported as 0.00 the entire time. This perplexes me, but I'm chalking it up to my misunderstanding maybe. If anyone can shed some light on why the frequency isn't reporting, please do. Since the MAP_HZ values were 0.00 for all RPMs tested, there is no line item for MAP_HZ in the table below.

Note 4: The fact that the MAP has moved from 14.6 at 640 RPM to 16.9 at 2,500 RPM presents another question. Is the increase a calculated value from a look up table in the PCM based on values read from the EBP? Or is the MAP really working. I think it is really working, and actually read the rise in MAP and consequently the related rise in MGP (once MGP rose to a readable resolution of 1 psi increments in the last two columns of higher RPM tests). I have an independent boost gauge tee'd into the MAP hose feed line (all connections confirmed tight), but I amazingly forgot to look for a 1 psi needle bump during the test. Too busy focused on the scan tool readings.

Last edited by NYB; 03-14-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: finally figured out how to post a spreadsheet
Old 03-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

It's probably a modulated pulse being lost in your voltage drop.
The Wgs is duty cycled and they are kinda tied together,the map and wgs that is.
The ebp sensor also works on a 5volt reference signal,just like your map.In fact you can tie a second icp into the pass.head,plug the ebpconnector to the second icp with adapter and watch the difference in pressures via injection and exhaust windows

Last edited by Maryland dieselnick; 03-14-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
NYB

Ok, I FINALLY edited my earlier post to add the promised spreadsheet of MAP sensor values in the PCM. It took me 45 very painful minutes to do that, but I've always wanted to learn how to present tabular data in an easier to read format, and now seemed to be the time.

Last edited by NYB; 03-14-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
NYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland dieselnick View Post
It's probably a modulated pulse being lost in your voltage drop.
The Wgs is duty cycled and they are kinda tied together,the map and wgs that is.
The ebp sensor also works on a 5volt reference signal,just like your map.In fact you can tie a second icp into the pass.head,plug the ebpconnector to the second icp with adapter and watch the difference in pressures via injection and exhaust windows

I'm just repeating this back real slow, so as to better understand what and why.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

That 5.1 might not be making the journey even though you see it on screen.I don't know if that is actual read voltage or intended.If you unplug icp your screen will immediately say 725.well that's not actual.thats an intended value.Not sure if that the case hereor not.I would turn key on and feel if the waste gate solenoid pulsing.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

I don't know how to post video,I just figured out how to rock out while doing this.
Try you tube they have damn near everything.
Somebody has to have videoed two icp's using the ebp sensor connector.
Was just using that as an example of another 5 volt reference item and then interjected the diagnostic tip for those with hydro issues.Didnt mean to get disjointed on ya,sorry.

Last edited by Maryland dieselnick; 03-14-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.