How Long do the Glow Plugs last? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 08:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How Long do the Glow Plugs last?

With the colder weather approaching, and the fact that my truck will be 8 years old.
I am becoming concerned that it may be time to replace the glow plugs in my truck.
So far the coldest days have only been in the upper 30's and the truck starts fine.
It has 86,000 miles on it, which is not much for 8 years.

While the truck was fairly new the GP relay was replaced under warranty, and the replacement has lasted much longer then the original.

But should I replace the GP's and GPR as maintenance item?

Has any one done a step by step pictorial on Glow Plug Replacement?

Thanks for any coments

Phil
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: How Long do the Glow Plugs last?

My truck has 203k on the clock and I'm still using the original GPR. I just replaced one Glow plug a month ago as I was repairing a UVCH issue. GPR like most relays are effected by cycles used and are really harmed by low voltage which will increase the amperage across the contacts inside and cause pitting. My truck is 9 years old and I replace the batteries for the first time 3 years ago.
Early '99 F350 SRW.3:73 Gears DP Tuner Chip,AFE MAGNUM FORCE AIR INTAKE,FORD REPLACEMENT TORQUE CONVERTER, REMOTE START, NEW Delphi CPS, Ford Blue CPS as SPARE ,BLACKCLOUD DIESEL HX OIL LINE.
pandersen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2007, 08:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)

Don't even think about them until you start seeing a puff of white smoke on start-up. Then, you can pull the UVC connector and ohm out the GPs to find the bad ones. I tested mine a couple years ago and found 2 bad ones. Drove it like that for a year no problems. Then finally did the UVC and GPs and found that four were bad.

Of course that is in Texas....but the GPs are a cold starting aid. Above 40-50 they don't even come on that long and are likely for emissions only - and they never come on when the oil temp is above 130F. So just keep an eye on the exhaust during starting and then you can test for bad ones when you have them suspect.

99.5 F-250 CC LB 4x4 7.3 Red
Trail Boss Replacement Bumpers, Tool Box, Headache Rack, Full Length Running Boards, BFG AT/KO 285/75x16E, 2003 Cup Holder, Marinco Heater Plug, Weather Tech Rain Vents / Hood Guard, B&W GN Hitch, X-Springs, Rear 4" F350 Blocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Airlift / Wireless, Duraflaps

Isspro A-Pillar Gauges, Isspro TTM, Ford AIS, Magnaflow 3.5" DP - 4" Exhaust, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, Turbo-Master, High Flow Outlet, Non EBV Pedestal, IH Up-Pipes, DS 203 degree Stat, OA, BTS Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP-Tuner F6, FRX, Cass Stage 1s, T500 HPOP, DieselSite HPX

99 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3 White
Ranch Truck, Ranch Hand brush Guard, Original Cup Thrower, DP-TUner F6, 4" Turbo Back Magnaflow, AIS Intake, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Ford 4R100HD, CM Flatbed

Autoenginuity
Flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I lost #8 at 37K in an 01 last month
truckosaurus
2001 F250 Crew, 25,000+ miles, PSD, 4X2, ProComp 6" lift, Short Bed, SCMT, Tymar set up, BTM, ISSPRO Pyro, boost, and Trans Gauges, in tank mods and harpooned, 28" air horn w/ on board air and tank also full set of train horns! 6 gallons of 150 PSI air. Prodigy, Draw tite Signature series 18K 5'r hitch. TTM
2005 wildcat 29RLBS 5'r, parallel EU2000i's
2003 Explorer, EddieBower, V8 4X4
2003 Explorer XLT, V8 4X4
2002 XR50
2001 PW50
taxgod4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

They can be a real booger to get out if they have high mileage on them. I have seen them break off in the head which requires the head to be removed to extract the broken glow plug. As cheap as they are for a set of 8, just replace them if you have your valve covers off or changing injectors.
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deputydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They can be a real booger to get out if they have high mileage on them. I have seen them break off in the head which requires the head to be removed to extract the broken glow plug. As cheap as they are for a set of 8, just replace them if you have your valve covers off or changing injectors. </div></div>
Very true, I just ordered eight of them because I have the valve cover off, they were $11.50 each though Pensacola diesel, found them on ebay when I needed to order injectors. Don't know if that is the cheapest for a glow plug, but it was cheap enough for me. Ther remaned injectors are $99 each free shipping, that was the cheapest I could find.

1987 E250 Quadravan 4x4 6.9 IDI C6 Banks Turbo, Gearvendor, and U.S. Gear Exhaust Brake
DragRag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

How do you check the glow plugs. Isn't there a way to OHM them without removing the valve covers.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 11-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deezle_Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you check the glow plugs. Isn't there a way to OHM them without removing the valve covers.

Thanks,
Brian </div></div>

Sure, look Here

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes,ISSPRO EV2 pyro fuel trans

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby Swamps,Tony Wildman Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles
Excavator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Glow Plugs are simple resistive elements. Ohm's law states I = V/R. Therefore, with R constant, current will actually decrease with a drop in voltage.

Rob
Rob_from_Elkmont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.