How long do you let your engine warm up? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2006, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How long do you let your engine warm up?

I live in montana, and of course winter is setting in. I often wonder how long other 7.3 owners let their engines warm up.
Personaly mine usualy sits idling for 5 minutes every morning. not sure whats recomended.
kankrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Re: How long do you let your engine warm up?

If it is below 20, I plug the truck in using a timer set for 3-4 hours before my planned departure. I let the WTS light go out and then fire up. If it is really cold (-20) I will wait a minute or so beyond the WTS light going out to fire up. I will I usually wait for the glow plugs to turn off as indicated by the volt meter and then turn on the lights and hit the road. I probably do not drive over 30 mph for the first couple of miles (coolant temp up to 70 or so) then drive as usual.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

I use the block heater on a timer as described above. If it's really really cold, I wait 90 seconds before I start driving. (That is the amount of time that elapses between startup and high-idle initiated by the cold weather package. I keep boost below 4 psi until the temperature gauge comes up 1/4 of the way.

If it's running really rough, as in I didn't use the block heater (like leaving work on a cold day, for instance), or if I am going to start out towing after a cold startup, then I will iet it warm up for 5 minutes or so.

May your road stay clear & dry, may your fuel never gel, and may you never be outsmarted by your idiot lights.

2002 F-250 XLT SC LB 4x4 7.3PSD 6-Sp 3.73 L-S, Snugtop Snuglid Tonneau, 235/85 MC HTRs, <span style="color: red">DPTuner F5</span> AFE Stg II, Turbo LifeSaver, MAP BRV, Autometer Cobalts, Magnaflow 4", WW, TAG, AIH del, CCV, AirDog, In-tank, Harpoon, HPX, ITP fuel sys, LL8 del, 203*, Oilguard & SP Diesel bypass filtration, ART rotors, PFC pads, Heater Core Ctl Valve, Bilsteins, Velvet Ride Shackles, South Bend Clutch, <span style="color: green">21.27 mpg</span>

2004 <span style="color: red">E</span>-350
XLT Wagon 6.0PSD 3.55 L-S TDM EZ-Entry 11 pass., AIC, custom MBRP 4" w/dual Aeroturbines, Airdog, harpoon, Overhead Cobalts
Pictures . . . Parts Links
DarthSurplus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Usually about 10 minutes.

I hit the remote start, grab a bite and drink, then look to see if the windshield has defrosted. Sometimes I get distracted and the remote start quits after 15 minutes, so I just hit it again. I like getting in a warm truck. The PSD warms up very fast with its high idle and CAP...way better than my F-150 5.4L or my Yota. I don't plug her in unless it's well below zero. If it's above 50 I don't even use the glow system. Turn and go. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (24)

I don't plug in until it gets below zero. I start the truck and make sure it has oil pressure and go. I see no reason to allow it to warm up unless you want it to be warm in the cab.
5W40 synthetic oil helps a bunch.
Jim
2001, F250 4x4, CC, Auto; Mobil 1 in transfer case&Trans.; Frantz Bypass Filter; "Hutch" fuel mods; Sonnax/Tricum mod; 4" Exhaust, 30" MagnaFlow; Attitude in A-Pillar and tranny gauge in Dash; AIS; EASE Diagnostics; Reese Slider Hitch; Fr Rotors, Cryo Treated&Slotted by ART.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

5-10 minutes depending how cold it is..i let the ebpv do its job..i'll also switch the truck back to stock before i pull out.when the needle starts coming up ill go back to 80 ecno...
early 99 F250 cc 4x4 auto.. gages on the pillar, tymar intake, 5" MBRP exhaust, dp tunner 60,80,120, 30 gallon gravity feed aux. fuel tank, putco chrome on all handles and mirrors, GOS racing headlight harness, clear headlight and corners, accetone badges, blue ovals pelled, zoodad mod
paytontag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Start it, let the pressures come up and drive away. Take it easy for the first couple of miles. The one winter I let it idle for 3-5 minutes I ended up with fuel in the oil.
Dave (AKA, Just4Fun, Crash, Super Dave + Super Duper Dave) 99.5 F350, PSD, Auto, 4X4, Built 5/99 FHP2 flashed to HQN2 replaced by DP-Tuner FHP4 60 Tow PCM, ATS Ported housing, Turbo Master Wastegate Controller, TYMAR Intake & HX hose, 3.5"down/4" back, 203* stat, Rotella ELC, AIH mod, Bilsteins, Hybrid Tranny:ATS Triple Loc Converter, Suncoast and Transgo innards, Bob Riley's Intercooler boots and soon coolant filter kit, Alpine CDA-9856 W/Ipod interface
08 Montana 2980RL 5er, "If it's Rockin' don't Bother Knockin'"
Our Web Place
David E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 07:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

I'm not an advocate of letting anything sit and idle just to warm up. But, having said that, I believe that any car or truck should sit and idle long enough that it can be driven safely and reliably without dieing or otherwise creating a safety hazzard on the street for its occupants or other drivers. If a vehicle runs badly, let it warm up until it runs better. In reality, I probably sit and idle at some local intersections for 3-5 minutes just due to traffic and some rediculously long traffic lights anyway.

For my own situation, if necessary (35deg and below) I unplug the block heater, start my truck and walk about 100 ft to open my yard gates, then I walk back, if necessary clean snow off or scape windows, then get in the truck and drive through the gates, get out and close the gates, if necessary scrape additional ice from the windows. So, while I recommend getting in and just driving very conservatively until the temp guage starts registering some heat, in reality I may get in 3-5 minutes of idle time before hitting the street also. I say this realizing that I live in central Indiana, it doesn't hit negative double digits very often or stay there very long on those times when it does.

White '99+ F250 SD XLT 4x2 SRW, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed
(mods listed in comments under photo in above link)
olddieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 07:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'll usually let it go at least 2 minutes, often 5, and if it's really cold (as in the couple times a year I travel to the snow) as in 0* or so, I'll let it go 10-15 minutes. On normal days, I normally go out and start it, go back inside to brush my teeth, and grab my last minute stuff, and by the time I get back outside and into the truck and settled, it's probably been 3-5 minutes.

Even in hot temps, such as 90s, on the initial start I like to let it idle for at least 30 seconds, just so I feel that the oil's had enough time to get all throughout its various paths. I still like to let it go a minute or two, anyway.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB DRW 4x4 4R100 4.10 Lariat
Performance Mods: ISSPRO gauges, DIY Tymar, straight piped, ITP boost regulator and tee, ATS ported housing, Banks Big Head, CCV Mod, DP-Tuner flip chip, BTS valve body ||| LEDs everywhere: taillights/running boards/mirrors/rear, side lights wired as turn signals, upgraded headlight harness w/ Xtravisions, aux backup lights in bumper ||| Misc. Mods: no more dingers, newer cupholder, fumoto, C-Betrs, locking fuel cap, mud flaps, wannabe air horn, Line-X, behind-seat storage shelf, intercooler foil wrap removed, SS HPX
My Truck Pics

NorCal Powerstrokes
ryaneverk2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to gottarace

I unplug the heater, flip her back to stock, fire it up and idle for 3 to 5 min. Neighbors aren't too fond of the straight piped F18.

TS 6 position, Wicked Wheel, CCV Mod, BRV, AIH delete, TC lockup Mod, foil delete, 4' open exaust with 5' tip.
My PSD http://photobucket.com/albums/v214/gottarace/
Other Toys:
88 Thunderbird Turbo coupe
01 Suzuki DRZ 400 (Dual Sport)
gottarace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 09:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

i do the same as many.. plug it in when under 40*. in mornin i unplug it, and let her get the oil warm for as long as it takes me to dring a cup o'joe, so 5-10 min depends what articles are in the paper that day.
Viper 5900 remote start/alarm w/ one mile range - Pioneer D3 nav - 2500 watt power inverter - Harley headlights - Recon smoked cab lights - ebay 2.5" axle mounted leveling kit
DieselSite coolant filter- added at 39k
8ft WESTERN Pro-Plus w/ back drag blade
6000k slim ballast hi/lo H13 headlights and H10 fog HID kits from ddmtuning.com

to be done mods.. Innovative SCT X3, Edge Insight CTS w/ egt, oil bypass

88 mustang hatch- 347 stroker - for the strip
88 mustang vert- 4.6 DOHC gt-45 turbo - street car
calabrese19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 10:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

usually no more than 30 seconds.
DENNY
Old 11-20-2006, 10:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

what does "plip it back to stock " mean?
been sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out what that means.
kankrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 10:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to gottarace

I put my 6 position TS chip back to stock mode.
1 stock
2 50 HP
3 75 HP
4 100 HP
5 125 HP
6 HOLD ON [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

TS 6 position, Wicked Wheel, CCV Mod, BRV, AIH delete, TC lockup Mod, foil delete, 4' open exaust with 5' tip.
My PSD http://photobucket.com/albums/v214/gottarace/
Other Toys:
88 Thunderbird Turbo coupe
01 Suzuki DRZ 400 (Dual Sport)
gottarace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2006, 12:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I live in montana, and of course winter is setting in. I often wonder how long other 7.3 owners let their engines warm up.
Personaly mine usualy sits idling for 5 minutes every morning. not sure whats recomended.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cold morning with no frost, start it, pressure comes up, buckle up and adjust radio (maybe 30 seconds) drive it at 35 mph or so for first couple miles (since all my roads are 35 for several miles to major roads).

Frosty or snowy morning, start, scrape frost/clean snow and leave.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.