How many fuel filters and where? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How many fuel filters and where?

I would like some direction as to HOW MANY fuel filters my 7.3L has and where they are. Also how often to change, I was told aprox. 20k miles.
2002 F250 Lariat, 7.3 Liter, 4x4, crew cab, short bed, 130,000k miles, rebuilt automatic transmission, 6.o liter trans cooler, ISSPRO EV2 trans temp gauge, MAC air intake, BRP 4" exhaust, 285 BFG A/T load range E, camper shell, towing a 16' two axel toy box which is about 8,000 lbs. loaded
callhimup50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
There is one fuel filter that is in the center of the engine under the plastic powerstroke shroud. 20K should be an acceptable change interval.

There is also a "sock" in the tank that keeps large debris from getting run through the fuel pump. I suppose that could be classified as a filter too.

Boost, EGT, Fuel Pressure Gauges, 4" Magnaflow Exhaust, Plugged Return, 75PSI Fass, MB Quart 480 Amp, MB Quart PVI216 Coaxials F&R, Alpine Amp, RF 10" Sub

Dual Fuel Systems with check valves, 85 Gallon Aux Tank, 75PSI Fass, 30 Plate FPHE, 10u Spin on filter.
toddman35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

thanks Toddman35
2002 F250 Lariat, 7.3 Liter, 4x4, crew cab, short bed, 130,000k miles, rebuilt automatic transmission, 6.o liter trans cooler, ISSPRO EV2 trans temp gauge, MAC air intake, BRP 4" exhaust, 285 BFG A/T load range E, camper shell, towing a 16' two axel toy box which is about 8,000 lbs. loaded
Old 10-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (4)
Depending on where you buy your fuel. I change mine at 15k, I get my diesel from only high volume stations where the fuel doesn't sit very long. That doesn't guarantee anything, but is better than some of the places around my place that don't move much fuel.
2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
woodnthings8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by callhimup50 View Post
Also how often to change, I was told aprox. 20k miles.
You should drain the fuel filter/water seperator about every oil change interval. Change the filter element about every year or so.

If you always buy your diesel from busy truckstops, then the filter element may not need changing for a coupla years or so. In over 11 years of ownership, I changed my fuel filter about 8 times and never had a fuel problem. You can buy new fuel filters for $25 each from
Fleetguard FF5418 Fuel Filter at DieselManor

In the diesel FAQs off the home page, look at the '99-up FAQ. On the left side of the screen there is an index that includes draining/changing the fuel filter on your 7.3L.
The TheDieselStop.Com 1999-up FAQ

That FAQ doesn't do an outstanding job of telling you where the fuel will pour out when you drain the fuel filter reservoir. It is not right next to the yellow drain lever, but instead is a drain pipe (metal tube) that goes from the drain valve and ends halfway down the block on the front of the engine, behind the engine fan. If you simply flip that yellow lever, you'll have diesel all over the front of the engine and all over the ground or floor under the front of the truck.

Most of us old timers permanently installed a foot or so length of plastic tubing onto the drain pipe, so the end of the hose would reach down into the top of a 2-liter Coke bottle or a one-gallon milk jug. After the draining chore, bend the hose up into a hole in the front end somewhere and tie it with a zip-tie so it won't flop around for the next 5,000 miles. If I remember correctly, the drain tube is 3/8th OD, and I used plastic tubing that was 7/16th ID, then a small hose clamp to make it stay on over the years.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have seen two different fuel filter replacements on the market. One is a canister, that is cheaper of the two, and drops right into the bowl. There is a lid that screws on top of the bowel. There is a tool that I bought from one of the Diesel Stop sponsers that makes removing the lid very easy.

The second filter type has the lid attached to the filter. This one is more expensive because of the lid. It is easier to remove but you pay for the lid which is thrown away.

You have to remove the cover on top of the engine to easily access the filter bowl. There are two nuts that have to be removed to remove the cover. I put the nuts back on top of the threaded bolts that are left standing up. I sliced open my hand doing a filter change years ago.

I get the filters for my truck from my John Deere dealer. My dealer's oil and fuel filter prices are less than the local parts stores, not by much but still cheaper. More importantly, they almost always have the filters in stock. Until I started sourcing the filters from JD, I would make multiple stops at different parts stores to get my filters. Worse case now, the dealer will be out of stock and they will mail me the filters. If I order on a Monday I will have the filters by midweek at the latest. The shipping charge is less than the cost of diesel fuel to get to the dealer.

Later,
Dan
Old 10-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you all so much! Your help is appreciated. I will look into draining the fuel filter / water seperator this weekend or next, i never thought to look at the FAQ's area of the site. Hopefully I will get this handeled, I'll keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.