How many quarts... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2005, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How many quarts...

Thanks for looking..
How many quarts of fluid does the transmission pan hold?
Can Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF be mixed with Mercon?
Any specific Mobil 1 ATF I need to look for, or does it simply say synthetic ATF on the label?

Thanks.
4x4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 3:73LSD, Auto
4" Turbo-Back Exhaust, 6637 Intake, DP-Tuner 6-Position Chip (VDH/PMT1), BTS Valve Body,
Custom shift plate mods, Level kit, 17" wheels with 35" TOYO MT's, Autometer Ultralite Gauges, 2006 Chrome Package Grill, Sirius Radio

JellybeanRacing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)
Re: How many quarts...

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for looking..
Any specific Mobil 1 ATF I need to look for, or does it simply say synthetic ATF on the label?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mobil-1 ATF is rated Mercon and it can be safely mixed with all other Mercon rated ATF's. There is only one kind of Mobil-1 ATF.

I believe the stock pan holds about 8 quarts. I have a Mag-hytec high capacity pan so I'm not 100% sure.

Hammer

I still have the:
2001 F250 Lariat CC/SB 4x4 7.3 auto

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

<font color="red"> Carolina PSD club </font>

Get Your Tuning Here: www.DP-tuner.com and your Fuel kits here: www.ITPdiesel.com
TheHammer69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2005, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (24)

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the stock pan holds about 8 quarts. I have a Mag-hytec high capacity pan so I'm not 100% sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this is close. I think I replaced 7.5 qts when I did the Sonnax/Tricumulator mod.
Jim
2001, F250 4x4, CC, Auto; Mobil 1 in transfer case&Trans.; Frantz Bypass Filter; "Hutch" fuel mods; Sonnax/Tricum mod; 4" Exhaust, 30" MagnaFlow; Attitude in A-Pillar and tranny gauge in Dash; AIS; EASE Diagnostics; Reese Slider Hitch; Fr Rotors, Cryo Treated&Slotted by ART.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2005, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sweet... thanks.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
4" Turbo-Back Exhaust, 6637 Intake, DP-Tuner 6-Position Chip (VDH/PMT1), BTS Valve Body,
Custom shift plate mods, Level kit, 17" wheels with 35" TOYO MT's, Autometer Ultralite Gauges, 2006 Chrome Package Grill, Sirius Radio

Old 12-07-2005, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Hold On!!! I know you asked about the pan in your post, but if you are going to mix Mobil One with Dino you are loosing the benefits of the synthetic and IMHO waisting your money!!! In order to do a complete flush and replace all the dino with Mobil One I used 20 quarts. I followed the instructions in Larry's secrets, maybe somebody can place a link there and it worked great!~!!! Just wanted to make that clear.
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

White Stroker
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2005, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks. I completely understand. I just had a few other reasons for asking, but everything's cool. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Have I mentioned lately that I my truck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2005, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

OK COOL!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

White Stroker
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2005, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)

[ QUOTE ]
Hold On!!! I know you asked about the pan in your post, but if you are going to mix Mobil One with Dino you are loosing the benefits of the synthetic and IMHO waisting your money!!! In order to do a complete flush and replace all the dino with Mobil One I used 20 quarts. I followed the instructions in Larry's secrets, maybe somebody can place a link there and it worked great!~!!! Just wanted to make that clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess Schaeffer's shouldn't be mixing synthetic with dino to produce their outstanding ATF. You'd be surprised at how little synthetic oil can be added to Dino to greatly enhance the anti-oxidation, film strength, and anti-shearing of a blend. In fact, 100% synthetic can sometimes be a big waste of money compared to a blend that offers similar performance.

Hammer

I still have the:
2001 F250 Lariat CC/SB 4x4 7.3 auto

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

<font color="red"> Carolina PSD club </font>

Get Your Tuning Here: www.DP-tuner.com and your Fuel kits here: www.ITPdiesel.com
TheHammer69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2005, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

About 7. A hair more on a 4x4. A hair less on a 4x2.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mobil 1 ATF is MERCON, so yes you can mix it with no problem.

But changing the ~7 quarts in the pan is like taking a bath in 7 parts fresh water mixed with 11 parts sewer water. Not my idea of a real good bath. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img]

The detailed procedures to do it right are in the '99-up FAQ. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img] Click here.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is only one Mobil 1 ATF. It meets DEXRON III and MERCON requirements. I buy mine at AutoZone.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.