How often to change transfer case/diffs - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question How often to change transfer case/diffs

How often should I change the transfer case fluid in my truck? I don't drive it a whole lot, and rarely in 4wd. How often for the front and rear differentials? I hear 15,000 on the diffs with 75-140 gear oil, but don't know what kind. How about the transfer case?
2002 F250 Lariat, 7.3 Liter, 4x4, crew cab, short bed, 130,000k miles, rebuilt automatic transmission, 6.o liter trans cooler, ISSPRO EV2 trans temp gauge, MAC air intake, BRP 4" exhaust, 285 BFG A/T load range E, camper shell, towing a 16' two axel toy box which is about 8,000 lbs. loaded
callhimup50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Ford says you never have to change the rear differential fluid, but I don't feel comfortable with that. Every 15K would probably be too soon. My opinion is that you should change it anytime water infiltration is a possibility (4 wheeling through streams, floods) and probably every 100K. I think it would be wise to check it every 15K and keep it topped off, but I would never change mine that often.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lariat 7.3
i know the front is something like 90 weight. ive never changed it cuz its hardly used. i think the rear is something like every 50,000 or so. ford says its lifetime unless you get water into the rear diff. i changed mine for piece of mind. the correct oil it 75-140 synthetic. make sure you add a bottle of additive if the oil doesnt already have it. i think the mobile one already has it. transfer case just used the same ATF fluid you use its real easy to do.

just hit 218,000

38R with Turbo Master
238/80% hybrids
Riff Raff FRx
5 inch miter cut stack
remote start.
Autometer C2 series gauges.

5.5 inch lift with blocks and shackle drops
DIESELSITE HEAVYDUTY BOOTS ALL AROUND.
ITP in tank kit-awesome! frame mounted pre-filter
20 in diamo rims-33in toyo A/T

DP-TUNER F6- no start,stock,60 tow codes, 80E codes, 120 race codes
DIY TYMAR with donaldson filter.
AIH cut off
hood insulation removed
always bright overhead display
05 style headlights with 14k HID'S
08 leather front seats
bypass oil system
running on WMO!
DIESEL SITE coolant filtration
Denso HT gear reduction starter. Soo fast!!!

Wish List..... BTS....Stage 3 hybrids.... Push rods and Spings!!
lariat 7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't use my 4wd much either. I change the fluid when I change my trans fluid, which is about every 30,000 miles. The fluid in the transfer case is always uglier than the transmission fluid.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Front axle
Motorcraft SAE
75W-90
Premium 4x4
Front Axle
Lubricant
F-250/350
(Dana 50 axle)
1.8L (3.8 pints)
F-350/450/550
(Dana 60 axle)
2.7L (5.8 pints)

Rear axle
Motorcraft SAE
75W-140
Synthetic Rear
Axle Lubricant
F-250 /350
(10.50 inch
axle)
3.3L (6.9 pints)
F-350 DRW
(DANA 80)
4.0L (8.5 pints)

Transfer case
fluid
Motorcraft
MERCON ATF
4x4 vehicles 1.9L (2.0
quarts)

Here are your fluid specifications for front axle, rear axle, and transfer case. Ford says to change them whenever they are submerged. If you want to change them more often than that, then it's up to you how often to change.
2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 170,000 miles, repairs so far: starter, batteries, cps, brakes, tires.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
DonWarkentin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

This one of those "got ya" things from Ford. Their manual, at least for my 02, states that it is not necessary to even check the rear differential lube. Somewhere else I remember that they recommend changing it seems like every 75 or 100K. Here is the got ya. Ring and pinion manufactures, the same ones that supply parts for the 10.5 Sterling on my truck recommend changing the lube after a rebuild with new ring and pinion after 500 miles, yet Ford in its wisdom recommends that you don't even check it from brand new to 75K. Could it be that almost any gear box will last the 3/36 warranty period and they don't want you to even see that there are break in bits in there or even worse, well it could be a warranty management strategy. The rear differential in my 02 went bad at 66K. I had to go out of the country for awhile so I let the dealership rebuild it, that lasted 12K, just out of their warranty on time. When I opened it up it was a mess, the dealership had beat the Assembly with a hammer from the marks, broken the carrier bearing shims and didn't change all the parts they charged me for a year ago. So, I rebuilt it myself at 88K and 100K miles later, still going good with no shavings in the lube last time I serviced it.

Through this learning process I have come to a couple of conclusions, Ford dealerships cant'/don't rebuild differentials to well, they just want to slap them together to get the units out of the shop fast. They don't seem to be willing not make the 1-3 time assemblies of the unit to get the ring and pinion lash and engagement adjusted and carrier bearing shims right then either use a case spreader and get the bearing preload to tight or beat the assembly in and trash it.

This rebuild is one that most people can do if they have the tools, nothing irrevocable, if you mess it up just start over. It is a patience project. It is not like busting a rod or piston with hydrolock while attempting a simple injector change.

I will from now on on any new vehicle I buy change the initial rear end lube at 2500 miles to get the break in bits out, even if it uses the expensive synthetic lube. Thereafter I will change the lube every 25K.
Oneof6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

I do my T-case once a year. Which is over kill. But it piece of mind. The front and rear get service every 50K. Fords say other. I say service it to make it last longer.
The front could probably go 100K before service. The front is always very clean when changed. The rear is always nice a dark. Which is expected considering it carries the most load. And Tcase fluid is the same as what in the tranny.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks so much for the feedback! I have 25k on my rear diff and transfer case after change, and 8k on the front. Probably change the rear diff within the next 4 or 5k. How about the transmission fluid. Should I be concerned with break-in. I have about 5k on a rebuild.
2002 F250 Lariat, 7.3 Liter, 4x4, crew cab, short bed, 130,000k miles, rebuilt automatic transmission, 6.o liter trans cooler, ISSPRO EV2 trans temp gauge, MAC air intake, BRP 4" exhaust, 285 BFG A/T load range E, camper shell, towing a 16' two axel toy box which is about 8,000 lbs. loaded
callhimup50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

I would think that you would be OK on the fluid in your rebuilt transmission. Automatic correct? If so it has a media filter where the differentials discussed do not. However, if you wanted to you could sample the ATF fluid at some point and use that as a guide. I use a synthetic fluid that is pretty expensive to change out. I wouldn't want to do that unnecessarily but for regular ATF I wouldn't hesitate to flush, change the filter element and refill because it is comparitvly cheap. Also easy to do. 106
Oneof6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.