How to remove fuel lines? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to remove fuel lines?

OK, so my 99.5 superduty is rusting away. First it was the oil pan, now the 2 metal lines that run up the front of the engine rusted out. I have removed the power steering brkt and cut/removed those lines. However the ends that go into the soft lines(under the engine) would not budge. They are broke off at the fitting. My next step is to try to drill the old fitting out of them. I just spent over $100 on those 2 short pre-bent fuel lines, I sure hope I dont need new lines going back toward the tank. This truck has been dependable, but rust is killing it! Also dealer said the orings in those fittings are not replacable, but think I read on here they are?
thanks,
Ken
kenn1320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

look on guzzles website he sells the fpr orings i paid top dollar for at southbay ford.
01' 7.3 4X4 DRK MTLC BLU, DP Tuner F5, AEM Intake, 4" Turboback Silverline Exhaust, BTS VB, AEM digital gauges(pyro, boost controller, trans temp), CCV mod, Rebuilt Injectors, Fuel tank Mods, 203T, 6.0 Trans Cooler, 185,000K and original tranny, so far so good.
DHTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, I sent him an email. I might try an easy out to turn that fitting, rather then just go at it with a drill from the start. I have to get them partially off the truck, where I can work on them without being rained on by rust and fuel. Looks like I might be able to get them partially out thru the drivers side wheel well. Then I can at least spray them with some PB Blaster.
thanks,
Ken
Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just in case somebody else runs into this problem......... I asked a mechanic at my work about getting these out, he said they are likely "spring loaded" connectors and you need a tool to remove them. The clips that are on there, are merely for safety, and are not what is holding the fitting in.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just did this about 2 months ago. You might as well throw out the flex lines with the quick connects that you are trying to get to release. I removed those flex lines from the truck by releasing the quick connects on the other side towards the fuel pump. I put the rusted line that was still stuck in the quick connect in a vice a tried to remove, no go. The flex lines are about $150 if I recall, it's really the only way to do it. I painted the new preformed steel lines with POR15, hopefully they won't rust out again. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sometimes dirt and grime will accumulate under the springs and prevent the quick-release tool from fully disengaging the prongs. A few shots of brake cleaner will help loosen it up.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Here's a sketch I just did so you can see how the Quick Disconnect fuel lines work.
How to remove fuel lines?-fuel-line-qd-fitting.jpg
The way it works is you push the tool into the fitting to release the fingers that hold the hard line in place. They normally latch against the ridge near the end of the hard line.

Here's a link to one of NAPA's offerings for line release tools. NAPAONLINE

Like was said earlier, some solvent sprayed into the fitting will help get any dirt and crud out and allow the fingers to release when the tool is inserted.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

I just bought a set of plastic ones for $3 at harbor freight, worked for me to swap fuel pumps.
01' 7.3 4X4 DRK MTLC BLU, DP Tuner F5, AEM Intake, 4" Turboback Silverline Exhaust, BTS VB, AEM digital gauges(pyro, boost controller, trans temp), CCV mod, Rebuilt Injectors, Fuel tank Mods, 203T, 6.0 Trans Cooler, 185,000K and original tranny, so far so good.
DHTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well its official, I hate this truck! I have the same problem as Camp Albany discribed above. Those "male" portions are so corroded, they will not even turn inside the "female" portion. THis is after having them upright, filled with PB Blaster. To make matters worse, moving the power steering pump around resulted in it breaking(so rusted)and fluid leaking. I took that off and out of the way. I removed 2 bolts on this 90 degree part, only to find its some sort of coolant log. Well removing those 2 bolts does NOT remove it from the engine. I cant see how to get that off, and it needs to or I cant get the new lines on. Guess I will go searching for that answer. Wife needs a new dryer, water heater needs replacing, dentist tells me a root canal needs to be done sooner then later, economy is hell, what else can go wrong????????
Ken
Old 05-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

That cooling log would be your oil cooler. There are those two bolts you found on the front header and then three on the back header (where the oil filter screws on). Have a bucket ready, because as you noticed, the coolant will come out when you take it off.
-RD
Old 05-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

RD97 is correct. Unfortunately Im typing this AFTER figuring it out on my own. I crawled under the truck and realised this log connected to the oil filter and figured it was a crude attempt at an oil cooler. Ive never seen anything so rediculous, and Ive been a powertrain designer for 15yrs. I removed one bolt in the rear, that didnt do it. I noticed the other bolt and was complaining to myself, what idiot designed this with 2 different size fasteners? It was obvious I had just removed a drain plug, as oil starting running out. As quick as I could, I threaded it back in and tightened it. I found another bolt, then another, so yes there are 5 total, 3 of which are in the rear. As RD97 pointed out, have a bucket handy. I did not and got close to drenched. Luckily my long arms kept me out of the majority of it. I left tools under there and went back up top. Also note, my rusted out oil pan fix using POR15 epoxy and paint, is not working. There was oil on the pan in several areas. Back up top I grabbed the old line and removed the small brass fitting for the lower fuel line. When taking out the lines, this adapter came out. DO NOT DROP this as I did, cause it will go down in the valley. Note, a magnet will not pick this up. Also rather then spending 10+min trying to fish for it with a wire, just force your hand thru the mess in the front drivers corner. It goes in easier then coming out, but it should fit. I bolted up that line and called it a day. Im dreading paying $150 for those new fuel lines, think I will cut those ends off and try my luck at hose clamps for now. At this point my goal is to get it running enough to move it, so the buyer of my camper can come get his new toy. As much as I hate a car payment, I might just trade this junk in for something not so rusted!
Ken
Old 05-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Sorry for your troubles.

Sometimes it's just best to say goodbye to an old friend.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.