How to replace "clutch pedal position sensor/switch" - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2007, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to replace "clutch pedal position sensor/switch"

Folks,

I need some friendly advice on how to replace the "clutch pedal position sensor/switch" (or whatever it is called). The reason I am asking is that...

1) During the last winter, the engine idle would not increase in response to extended idling in cold weather.

2) The other day, I noticed that the truck would start with the clutch predal in the "out" position.

The above got me thinking that the switch might be stuck in the "closed" position, which is fooling the PCM into thinking that the pedal is depressed which would 1) prevent the engine idle from increasing, and 2) allow me to start the truck with the clutch pedal "out".

With all that said, I thought I would just remove the switch, and see if I could get it working again. After looking at the assembly, and reading my service manual, I was still not clear on how to remove it. The manual referrs to a "cover" that can be taken off of the switch, but I am not sure if the switch can then be lifted off of the pushrod (to the master cylinder), or if I have to remove the pushrod from the clutch pedal, and then slide the switch off of the end of the pushrod. I also found it strange that there were so many wires coming off of the switch (I would have expected two), but what do I know about vehcile electronics...

Anyway, if someone can offer advice on how to remove the switch, I would appreciate it. I'd also appreciate any advice on my "problem diagnosis"...

Thanks as always; happy father's day!

Shamish
2002 F250 XLT 4WD SC SB with 6 Speed and Manual Shift Transfer Case. Pillar pod-o-gauges, Warn Premium Hubs, AIS, Fumoto, Edge 3 leveling kit on the front (with adjustable pan-rod bar), 4 blocks on the rear, Eaton Posi, Bilstein 5100s and 285 X 75 X 16 BFG MTs all around. Oil pan coated with POR-15 and Silver Krylon (to reflect the mind-rays). Fleetrite ELC and Dieselsite coolant filter.
Shamish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: How to replace "clutch pedal position sensor/switch"

Don't know if you have found your answer already as I am just reading this post.
There is a plastic cover that snaps off. After that, the switch assy lifts off of the pushrod. It could be that your switch is not bad, but just not sliding properly on the shaft and is stuck in the 'out' position.
It is a pain to actually see what is going up there, but I have found that once you unsnap that cover the assy (which has a spring and is spring loaded) just lifts off the pushrod.
Good luck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Went to new owner on 12/12/09 (I will miss her)
2000 F350 XLT CC LB SRW 6spd 4x4 Toreador Red
'08 Center Console,Ranch Hand Grill Guard, SBC ConO clutch,DP Tuner (60T,80E,120R),Gauges,Ford AIS,Walker BTM,AIH delete,HPX Oil Crossover, Wicked Wheel,TurboMaster WG Contoller,Riley BRV+,Riley Boost Boots,EBPV Gut w/mod. pedestal,IH Bellowed UpPipes,Final Charge ELC coolant w/heater bypass,Riley Coolant Filter,Ford AIC,Centramatic Wheel Balancers,115gal Aux tank,Firestone airbags w/cab control. Oilguard Bypass Filtration,DFA 'Cross Connect' Fuel Lines
Rich_Kimball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2007, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have replaced a couple of them on some trucks. You just have to be good at yoga [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]. It really is all about feel. Unsnap the white cover and slide off the switch. Just remember to load the spring in its original position when you put the new one on...that aint very hard. HAVE FUN!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
99.5PSD, F250, 4x4, wht. CC, SB, Line-X, 200K+ , 6spd,LUK Ceramic Clutch, Warn Premium hubs, DP Tuner F5 stock/high idle/40T/60T/80E/100hp, Casserly STG1 sticks, DIY TYMAR, No EBPV, 08 Diff Cover, 4"MBRP S/S, Banks wheel*traded for stock wheel*, ATS Housing, HXLine, Zoodad Mod, CCV Mod, AIH removed, Shimmed fuel, Isspro Boost Guage & Pyro Guage, 2" Level Kit, Firestone Air Support Springs, BFG AT k/o, CB Galaxy DX949, DUAL Antennas, Lead Foot came stock

1998-F150 4x4, LB, K&N, No Kitty, 24LB inj, CB...Wifes ride.

94 Mustang GT, Red, Black Saleen rims, T-5, intake, exhaust, cam, 24LB squirts, tuned, last of the 302...
PStroked444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2007, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)

I had this switch go bad on mine. The springs inside went bad and the switch wouldn't return. No cruise, and no APCM were my symptoms. I had a dealer do it. Later my clutch hydraulic system went bad and I pulled that switch myself. I was then kicking myself for having the dealer do something so simple. The hardest part is getting the four tabs to release all the same time. Yoga does help.

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Try this first, though - I had the same problem with mine, and found out that the switch was sticking on the pushrod - I hit it with some WD40 and it has worked fine ever since. Low tech, but cheaper than a new switch.

CB
Baby - 1996 international 4700LPX / DT444
Retired - 1989 F350 / 7.3 IDI 400K trouble free
Bertha - 1999 international 4700 / dt466
Pokey - international 4700 / 444
Beast - internatioanl 4700 / 466
Pony - 2003 F350 triton V10
Blue - 1991 F450 7.3L

My toy - 1997 Honda Valkyrie 1.5L F6
WildcatB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

This switch is two switches in one. It detects both fully depressed and fully up positions of the clutch pedal. It is supposed to slide freely on the clutch pushrod, and spring forces normally keep it against the firewall.

It's a clamshell with four plastic latch tabs. You'll want a pick or a sharp miniature flat head screwdriver. I hosed mine down with spray lubricant to no avail, because one of the coil springs had broken. There are a pair of them, one on each side of the pushrod. With only one in service, it got in a bind and wouldn't register the "fully up" position.

My switch failure caused my cruise control to cease working.

May your road stay clear & dry, may your fuel never gel, and may you never be outsmarted by your idiot lights.

2002 F-250 XLT SC LB 4x4 7.3PSD 6-Sp 3.73 L-S, Snugtop Snuglid Tonneau, 235/85 MC HTRs, <span style="color: red">DPTuner F5</span> AFE Stg II, Turbo LifeSaver, MAP BRV, Autometer Cobalts, Magnaflow 4", WW, TAG, AIH del, CCV, AirDog, In-tank, Harpoon, HPX, ITP fuel sys, LL8 del, 203*, Oilguard & SP Diesel bypass filtration, ART rotors, PFC pads, Heater Core Ctl Valve, Bilsteins, Velvet Ride Shackles, South Bend Clutch, <span style="color: green">21.27 mpg</span>

2004 <span style="color: red">E</span>-350
XLT Wagon 6.0PSD 3.55 L-S TDM EZ-Entry 11 pass., AIC, custom MBRP 4" w/dual Aeroturbines, Airdog, harpoon, Overhead Cobalts
Pictures . . . Parts Links
DarthSurplus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Folks,

Thanks for the great advice!

Before waiting to hear back from the group, I went ahead and called a dealer, and they offered the same guidance that you all did. While it definately took some contorting on my part, I was able to swap the swtiches out in a few minutes.

I noticed that the springs in my switch were corroded (and that they had broken and "bunched up". This prevented the switch from returning to the "clutch released" position, which resulted in the problems that some of you described. I could not figure out how the springs corroded (I could not see any evidence of water getting into it, or through the firewall), but I now know what to do the next time this happens.

Also, thank goodness that the switch failed in the "clutch pedal down" position - it'd be a real bummer if it failed in the other position, since we could not start the truck!

Thanks again for the great advice...I might add one of these to my emergency kit, but we'll have to think about that for a while.

Shamish
2002 F250 XLT 4WD SC SB with 6 Speed and Manual Shift Transfer Case. Pillar pod-o-gauges, Warn Premium Hubs, AIS, Fumoto, Edge 3 leveling kit on the front (with adjustable pan-rod bar), 4 blocks on the rear, Eaton Posi, Bilstein 5100s and 285 X 75 X 16 BFG MTs all around. Oil pan coated with POR-15 and Silver Krylon (to reflect the mind-rays). Fleetrite ELC and Dieselsite coolant filter.
Shamish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.