How to replace glow plugs... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2006, 04:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to replace glow plugs...

I've been looking fro the past 45 minutes, and can't find anything. Is there a write up somewhere on how to change the glow plugs?
1999 F-250 7.3L, 6-SPD, Bully Dog 4 Bank Chip with flip chip, 4" Exhaust from the Turbo Back, New superduty led mirrors, 5% tinted windows, 2.5" leveling kit, 3 Inch Hanger lift, 325/80R16 Dick Cepek Fun County IIs, Ford Factory fog lights, Front custom light bar, 4 KC Lights 150W, Diamond plate around tow hooks, diamond plate bed rails, reverse lights, new headlight assembly, strobes, diamond clear LED third brake light.
Zach3713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Re: How to replace glow plugs...

Hello Twisted,

This is all my lame CD manual tells us.

«1999 Super Duty F-250-550 Table of Contents»
«Group 3: Powertrain»
«Section 303-07B: ENGINE IGNITION — GLOW PLUG SYSTEM»
«REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION»

Glow Plug

Removal

1. WARNING:
The red-striped wiring harness carries 115 V DC. Severe electrical shock may be received. Do not pierce.

Remove the valve cover (6582); refer to «Section 303-01C».

µ 2. Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the intake manifold glow plug (12A342) from the cylinder head (6049).

3. Clean and inspect the intake manifold glow plug tip for damage.

Installation

µ 1. Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.

Whrere are you located?

2K Excursion Ltd Burg Auto, 193k
2K F350 DRW Lariat 6spd CC White/tan, 248k
Late 98 (04/98), WHT F250 Std Cab 6 spd, 365k miles

Coolant Filter, fuel and hpop crossover, Hutch tank mod,
open ccv, 6637 air filter
looks like a muffler (looks can be deceiving)
DP stock, 80T, 80E, 140 Extreme (normally in extreme and still get 19 plus mpg)
fuel gauge on bowl and shimmed return

$$$ Penny glow plugs at AutoZone
Pics
moxyspirit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm in Alabama. Thanks for the help from your CD. Has anyone done this? how hard is it?
1999 F-250 7.3L, 6-SPD, Bully Dog 4 Bank Chip with flip chip, 4" Exhaust from the Turbo Back, New superduty led mirrors, 5% tinted windows, 2.5" leveling kit, 3 Inch Hanger lift, 325/80R16 Dick Cepek Fun County IIs, Ford Factory fog lights, Front custom light bar, 4 KC Lights 150W, Diamond plate around tow hooks, diamond plate bed rails, reverse lights, new headlight assembly, strobes, diamond clear LED third brake light.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (175)

To change glow plugs, you remove everything in the way of the valve covers, remove the valve covers, then R&R the glow plugs which are at the 1 o-clock position when looking at each injector solenoid. Pull off the connecting wire (like a spark plug connector) and use a 10mm deep socket to loosen the GP. Before it comes all the way out, the socket will bind up against the rocker arm, so remove the socket before that happens and use a piece of tubing that slides snugly over the GP to turn it out. If you're lucky, they will all slide right out. If you're unlucky, one will get stuck. Try carb cleaner in the hole and work the GP back and forth to free it up. If you're REALLY UNLUCKY one or more tips will break off. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] Then you get to do special things, like pull the head off to retrieve the tips from the cylinder.

If you've used carb cleaner, etc, it would be a good idea to bar the engine over a couple of revolutions with the GP's out to make sure it doesn't hydrolock. Set the VC's in place with a couple of bolts so the oil/other gunk doesn't spray across the room.

When you're all done with that, the GP's get torqued to 14 ft-lb.

Make sure that you reconnect all the wiring, and while you're there, check the condition of the UVC harness connection at the valve cover gasket. Then button it all back up (VC bolts get 8 ft-lb torque) and you're done.

Hope that helps.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ifyour having a hard start issue you may want to look into changing the glow plug relay first as it casues aa lot of trouble too.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Are you changing out "known bad" injectors, or just because.? If they're bad they're bad, but you might loose some hair changing something thats not bad.
Tom
tlutman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2006, 09:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

My son and I did the Glow plugs on my 1995 a couple of weekends ago. Might have taken us a total of 4 hours. We did one side Saturday and the other side on Sunday... was no problem at all

Im in Mobile, AL

2001 Ford Lariat, 7.3 PSD, Auto, Crewcab, 6ft bed, 5th wheel, 375,000 miles
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2006, 09:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

I did not find the process all that difficult as far as mechanics are concerned. I posted earlier some suggestions on checking the gasket electric connections before tightening the covers back down. I would have replacement harnesses in hand before starting the job of replacing your glow plugs…just my $.02 BTW...the two heater hoses can stay in place, you just snake the cover out from under them.
rbray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, when I start the truck and its cold outside, I get a lot of smoke and from what I've gathered from reading the posts is that one or more of my GP's have gone bad. The truck will stop smoking after about 1 minute of running.

Changing out the plugs seems pretty intense. My worries would be the actual GP tip breaking off...has anyone had this happen, or do they normally jsut pull out pretty easy?
Old 11-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (175)

[ QUOTE ]
My worries would be the actual GP tip breaking off...has anyone had this happen, or do they normally jsut pull out pretty easy?

[/ QUOTE ]
They usually come out without problems. Although stuck plugs have happened. You should be able to handle it if you're careful. If you do get one stuck, don't try to force it and you should be fine.

Sorry if I scared you with my original post. It's good IMO to go into things with as much knowledge as possible and be ready to deal with the issues IF they arise.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2006, 06:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

I agree, I like to have as much info as I can when jumping into things. I'll admit though, your post made me think twice about it.

Does anyone have ANY pictures of this? I'm a more of a mechanically minded person and do better with things when I see them and what going on as well as just having something written
Old 11-19-2006, 07:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

You can do a quick and simple test of the glow plugs without pulling them I think it is written up in one of the cold weather stickys. If the truck starts easy I would not change the plugs. They all smoke a bit when the temps get to freezing and below.
DENNY
Old 11-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

The temp was about 48 here this morning and it was smoking pretty good. What causes this? It just unburnt fuel right? So is there anything else that could be causing this?
Old 11-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

I had a glow plug break off in the head, $1300 later at the local diesel shop and it was as good as new.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Mike
Old 11-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

be care full not to break the gp wire off. they can be very stubborn to get off of the gp sometimes.
Viper 5900 remote start/alarm w/ one mile range - Pioneer D3 nav - 2500 watt power inverter - Harley headlights - Recon smoked cab lights - ebay 2.5" axle mounted leveling kit
DieselSite coolant filter- added at 39k
8ft WESTERN Pro-Plus w/ back drag blade
6000k slim ballast hi/lo H13 headlights and H10 fog HID kits from ddmtuning.com

to be done mods.. Innovative SCT X3, Edge Insight CTS w/ egt, oil bypass

88 mustang hatch- 347 stroker - for the strip
88 mustang vert- 4.6 DOHC gt-45 turbo - street car
calabrese19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.