How to tell if fan clutch is bad? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to tell if fan clutch is bad?

How can you tell if the fan clutch is bad? Mine spins at start up but can be rotated by hand freely with engine off.
2000 XLT LARIAT CC SB 4x4, front leveling kit, rear add a leaf, hd overload spring pack, 3.5" down pipe, straight pipe, foil delete, K&N fipk w/dry charger, oil guard by-pass oil filter, coolant filter, ccv mod, 203* T stat & housing, brv+,redhead steering gear box, auto meter boost,EGT, rear diff and trans temp gauges, Frybrid wvo kit, 6.0 trans cooler, BTS trans, 4 position chip stock, hi idle, 60 hp and 100hp, ((XM radio))
MIspecial is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: How to tell if fan clutch is bad?

Quote:
How can you tell if the fan clutch is bad? Mine spins at start up but can be rotated by hand freely with engine off.
Sounds ok to me... Does it wobble around at all ? If not then all good....
Special thanks to RacerX USA

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 08-13-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: update format to current forums software
action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2007, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

It does not wobble but I run on wvo. I see oil temps about 150* on the freeway. But when idling temp drops to 110*. I think the fan is running all the time? Should the fan be able to be stoped if a wooden handle is pressed against it and the truck started briefly?
2000 XLT LARIAT CC SB 4x4, front leveling kit, rear add a leaf, hd overload spring pack, 3.5" down pipe, straight pipe, foil delete, K&N fipk w/dry charger, oil guard by-pass oil filter, coolant filter, ccv mod, 203* T stat & housing, brv+,redhead steering gear box, auto meter boost,EGT, rear diff and trans temp gauges, Frybrid wvo kit, 6.0 trans cooler, BTS trans, 4 position chip stock, hi idle, 60 hp and 100hp, ((XM radio))
Old 01-24-2007, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

when the eng. is cold & under a load, mainly on a upgrade, if you hear a loud swooshing or roaring noise, the clutch is locked up. i hav'nt seen alot of them go out though, just a few.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 08-13-2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: update format to current forums software for quotes and gramlins
dvtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2007, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
It does not wobble but I run on wvo. I see oil temps about 150* on the freeway. But when idling temp drops to 110*. I think the fan is running all the time? Should the fan be able to be stoped if a wooden handle is pressed against it and the truck started briefly?
The clutch fan is only supposed to work at low speed & higher temps. When moving down the road it is supposed to free wheel to keep from robbing HP. Sitting still it should always be spinning.The clutch works based on RPM's & temperature...Hope that helps....
Special thanks to RacerX USA

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 08-13-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: update format to current forums software for quotes and gramlins
action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (44)

Quote:
I think the fan is running all the time?
Yes, it "runs" all the time. The fan clutch is a viscous clutch, filled with a synthetic high-viscosity oil. So even when that viscous clutch is "slipping" it's still drawing a horse or two worth of power from the engine to pull lots of air through the radiators and coolers. When it locks up under full song, it uses about 27 horses from the engine to pull a hurricane through the radiator and coolers.

Quote:
Should the fan be able to be stoped if a wooden handle is pressed against it and the truck started briefly?
I suspect that would be a very dangerous test. I wouldn't even think of trying it. Unless you can overcome about one horsepower worth of engine effort to turn that viscous clutch.

The workshop manual includes tests to determine if the fan clutch is operating properly. At the risk of boring most of the others to death, here's what it says:

Quote:
Fan Clutch Test

NOTE: The following test does not apply to the 6.0L diesel. For the 6.0L diesel, refer to the Powertrain Control / Emmisions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.

Spin the fan blade (8600) by hand. A light resistance should be felt. If there is no resistance or very high resistance, the minimum and maximum fan speeds must be checked as follows:

Fan Clutch Test — Minimum Speed Requirement

Use a suitable marker to mark the coolant pump pulley (8509), one of the fan blade retaining bolts and the crankshaft pulley (6312).
Connect a tachometer to the engine.
Install a throttle adjusting tool.
Connect the Digital Photoelectric Tachometer.
WARNING: To avoid the possibility of personal injury or damage to the vehicle, do not operate the engine until the fan blade has been first examined for possible cracks and separation.

Start the engine and run it at approximately 1,500 rpm until the normal operating temperature has been achieved.
Operate the strobe light at 3600 rpm for 7.3L diesel engines, and aim it at the coolant pump pulley. Adjust the engine speed until the light flash and the coolant pump pulley mark are synchronized.

Aim the strobe light at the fan blade bolts. Adjust the strobe light until the light flash is synchronized with the marked fan blade bolt (the fan blade appears to stand still).
The fan blade speed must not be greater than 2,000 rpm on 7.3L engines.

Turn the engine off.

If the fan blade speed was greater than 2.000 rpm on 7.3L diesel engines, install a new fan clutch (8A616).

Fan Clutch Test — Maximum Speed Requirement

Perform Steps 1 through 5 of the Fan Clutch Test—Minimum Speed Requirement.

NOTE: The temperature of the air hitting the fan clutch should be above 96C (205F) for maximum fan speed.

Block off areas on each side of the radiator in the engine compartment and the front of the radiator grille (8200). This will raise the temperature of the air striking the fan clutch and should cause the fan blade to operate at maximum speed.

Place the climate control function selector switch in the MAX A/C position and the blower motor switch in the HI position.

Adjust the strobe to 3,600 rpm for 7.3L diesel engines.

WARNING: To avoid the possibility of personal injury or damage to the vehicle, do not operate the engine until the fan blade has been first examined for possible cracks and separation.

Start the engine and adjust the engine speed until the strobe light flash and the coolant pump pulley mark are synchronized.

Aim the strobe light at the fan blade retaining bolts. Adjust the strobe light until the light flash is synchronized with the marked fan blade bolt (the fan blade appears to stand still).

If the fan blade speed is less than 2,850 rpm on 7.3L engines, install a new fan clutch.
So the kicker is that in order to properly test the fan clutch, you have to get the engine hot enough that the air going through the radiator and hitting the front of the fan must be up to 205 F., so the fan clutch will lock. With the fan clutch locked and you making the engine scream at 3,600 RPM, the fan speed should be at least 2,850 RPM.

Now folks, that is one very noisy test. :widegrin:

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 05-10-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: convert to VBulletin format
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2007, 12:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

Quote:
Should the fan be able to be stoped if a wooden handle is pressed against it and the truck started briefly?

Yep, it will stop very easily if not engaged. You can do it with a piece of cardboard.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 08-13-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: update format to current forums software (VBulletin) for quotes and gramlins
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2007, 08:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

Also one more note... When the truck sits overnight/long time without running, that fluid pools at the bottom of the clutch assy. This means when you initially start the truck, you hear the fan running. When all the fluid is evenly distributed via centrifugal force, it will release.

The colder it is, the longer it takes for the "pooled" liquid to distribute. In summer you usually don't even hear the fan cause it disperses the fluid so quickly. I wouldn't even attempt stopping that fan, if something goes sideways at best you may be buying a radiator , worst... ride in rear of paddy wagon.
Early 99' Upgraded to 99.5' F250 XLT SWB PSD, 4x4, GPT38, EBPV Delete, Perf Friction 2-pcs rotors, 4" turbo back exh, Ford AIS, 6leaker OEM cooler, Htr Core by pass valve, Synthetic every fluid (Mobil), Detroit LOCKER, BTS, Lunar Autometer gauges, DP-F6C, 235k mi
SVO Conversion Updated SVO stuff

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 08-13-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: convert to VBulletin format
CPUNeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NOT EVER, !!NEVER!! STICK ANYTHING INTO A MOVING FAN BLADE!!!!!!!!!

The very *least* that will happen is that you'll damage the fan.

The fan turns all the time the engine is running. The only question is "how fast". Yes, it's supposed to do that. If it didn't, the fan drive wouldn't be able to engage when called for.

CPUNeck did a great job of describing "morning sickness". Yes, that's what it's called by fan drive engineers.

As far as your WVO heater sapping heat at idle, yep, that's normal, too. The engine only puts out so much heat at idle, and if you've increased the heat sink (by adding the WVO heater to the circuit in addition to the standard cabin heater core), the equilibrium point where Q-dot (heat flux) in equals Q-dot out will occur at a lower coolant temperature. You're measuring the temp in your WVO tank, so you see the impact indirectly as a lower WVO temperature.
'99 Mustang Cobra, SCCA Solo2 E Street Prepared
'97 Dodge Neon, SCCA ITA/STU/EP Club Racing

Now I do subsea ROV tooling.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 05-10-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: convert to VBulletin format
AutoJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2007, 11:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks guys. The fan seems to be operating normally then. I guess with the cold weather and the extended idling there is not enough flow to keep my wvo temps up.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Also one more note... When the truck sits overnight/long time without running, that fluid pools at the bottom of the clutch assy. This means when you initially start the truck, you hear the fan running. When all the fluid is evenly distributed via centrifugal force, it will release.

The colder it is, the longer it takes for the "pooled" liquid to distribute. In summer you usually don't even hear the fan cause it disperses the fluid so quickly. I wouldn't even attempt stopping that fan, if something goes sideways at best you may be buying a radiator [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img], worst... ride in rear of paddy wagon.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this exactly describes how my fan acts on a cool morning. (Say around 75F or so). The truck feels sluggish pulling down my street and out of the neighborhood with the fan ROARING. By the time I'm a mile or so down the road, all is good.

So my question is...is the fluid in the fan replaceable? Does it ever go bad and need to be changed?
Panasonic in dash monitor w/backup cam
Dual headrest monitors for the little one. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 05-10-2010 at 02:08 PM.
L8RG8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)

Fan clutch is sealed.
Clutches do wear out, some fail others just work doggy for a long time.
2001 F-250 Crew Cab, short bed, 4x4, 4R100 with VB tuned by Travis's Automatic Trans, Lariat, Snugtop shell, Line-X bedliner, 265/75/R16 GY Silent Armor. DIY open element air filter. DIY 4 inch exhaust, from stock DP back to 45 degree turn down. Quadzilla Recon XZT moniter- EGT, Trans temp, Boost. DP tuner Stock, 40T, 40T high altitude, 80E, Curt MFG Q5 20K slider hitch, P3 brake controller, ATS housing. Blue Bullet

Sold-- Bright RED 1996 F350 XLT, 4X4, CC, 4.10 gears ,E40D, SRW, Rebuilt E40D at 190K with a 3yr/36K mile warrenty, by Travis's Auto Tranny 719-574-8104. Big Red

Proud Member of the NRA, helping to protect our American Rights!

New Toy: Can-Am Outlander MAX XT 650 -- AWESOME

5th wheel 2000 Dutchman 24RL with 12' slide
TCH777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks!
Panasonic in dash monitor w/backup cam
Dual headrest monitors for the little one. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
L8RG8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (15)
Quote:
Yes, it "runs" all the time. The fan clutch is a viscous clutch, filled with a synthetic high-viscosity oil. So even when that viscous clutch is "slipping" it's still drawing a horse or two worth of power from the engine to pull lots of air through the radiators and coolers. When it locks up under full song, it uses about 27 horses from the engine to pull a hurricane through the radiator and coolers.
Question? How do you know it takes 27 horses to run the fan?

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 05-10-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: fix quote
William_IV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by William_IV View Post
Question? How do you know it takes 27 horses to run the fan?
Ford design specs, posted here about 10 years ago by an expert such as AutoJim, the cooling guy. (Yes, I was here and active back then). But that's only at full song, such as over 3,300 RPM when dragging a heavy trailer up a steep mountainside in 100 ambient temps. It probably uses only around 15 to 20 horses when it comes on while poking up the pass in direct drive at only 2,300 RPM.

Or it may have been spoken by the International or Ford engineers at either the Indianapolis engine plant or the KTP assembly plant during the 2001 Memorial Day weekend national get-together for about 200 of the members of this website. Yes, I was there too, back when we were Ford-Diesel.com. Or maybe at one of the regional get-togethers I've attended where the Ford and International engineers showed up, including Lake Texoma, Houston, Indianapolis, and Lake George, NY.

Anyway, you can count on it requiring up to 27 horses at full song. Just ask AutoJim.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.