Hub O-Rings - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hub O-Rings

Hey guys, I know I have a vacume leak in the front end caused by me removing the hubs and reinstalling with the original O-Rings. Apparently ford does not sell a replacement kit for these guys. Anyone know the size or of a kit to replace them?

2004 Excursion 6.0L PSD 115k, 4x4 Stock.
ddevore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

4C3Z-1K106-AA from Ford

You can also buy them from most auto parts stores.

Or, google Ford front hub o-ring.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via ICQ to 96Cobra
You may want to check your vacuum lines and the pulse vacuum solenoid before you go to the trouble of replacing the hub orings. Unless you know for a fact that you damaged them during the re-install, the lines or the solenoid could be your issue. I've never ordered from dieselorings.com but I saw the prongs there.
2002 F350 XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, Auto, AIC, DiabloSport Predator, BD X-Monitor, Kenwood TM-V7A, Pioneer 7400MP3, Infinity 5.25" Components, Infinity 10" Sub in a Q-Logic Box, Heated Mirrors, Gentex/Mito Auto Dimming Mirror, Rear ID Bar, Uniden PC78 Elite CB, Clifford Matrix RS3 Alarm/Remote Start, Keypad Entry, Homemade "Tymar", custom, muffler back exhaust, 6 Whelen LED's in rear window, 6 Whelen Strobes in the Front, Rears still not installed...
96Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
asd

So I went to my local Ford Dealer for the same 2 o-rings. He goes to the back and brings out an entire hub assembly. He tells me that you cannot buy the o-rings separately. I told him that I have the hubs off the truck and as long as I was at it I should get new o-rings. He says that there is absolutely nothing serviceable inside of the hubs so you must replace everything. I told him that they were already disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled so could I just buy the o-rings and you could order new ones and replace them from the hub assembly. He says Ford doesn't sell the o-rings separately so the only thing i could do is purchase new hubs at $368 per side if I wanted those o-rings. I asked him if that is what they do when a customers hubs are inop. He said they automatically replace everything all the time, nothing servicable. Wow, what a profit center for the stealership; $726.00 for $5.25 of o-rings. Anyway I got them from DieselOrings. $5.25 plus shipping. And do you remember how Ford doesn't sell them separately? Dieselorings sends them to you in a Ford labeled plastic bag. So if OEM is important to you this is your answer. Jees!
asd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Send a message via AIM to BlueMuleTrucking
Quote:
Originally Posted by asd View Post
So I went to my local Ford Dealer for the same 2 o-rings. He goes to the back and brings out an entire hub assembly. He tells me that you cannot buy the o-rings separately. I told him that I have the hubs off the truck and as long as I was at it I should get new o-rings. He says that there is absolutely nothing serviceable inside of the hubs so you must replace everything. I told him that they were already disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled so could I just buy the o-rings and you could order new ones and replace them from the hub assembly. He says Ford doesn't sell the o-rings separately so the only thing i could do is purchase new hubs at $368 per side if I wanted those o-rings. I asked him if that is what they do when a customers hubs are inop. He said they automatically replace everything all the time, nothing servicable. Wow, what a profit center for the stealership; $726.00 for $5.25 of o-rings. Anyway I got them from DieselOrings. $5.25 plus shipping. And do you remember how Ford doesn't sell them separately? Dieselorings sends them to you in a Ford labeled plastic bag. So if OEM is important to you this is your answer. Jees!
You should go back with the package of O-rings from the website and say you got them from another dealer....
Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
asd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMuleTrucking View Post
You should go back with the package of O-rings from the website and say you got them from another dealer....
Good idea, wish I had thought of that.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
Don't expect a dealer parts guy to be helpful enough to actually look up something for you. He MIGHT have been able to find the o-rings if you'd given him the part # that 444-4D posted. It's a game with some of them - they tell you that you can't buy separate components to try to sell you the whole assembly. They really wanted $386 per side for locking hubs?? They list for $315 each.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
Don't expect a dealer parts guy to be helpful enough to actually look up something for you. He MIGHT have been able to find the o-rings if you'd given him the part # that 444-4D posted. It's a game with some of them - they tell you that you can't buy separate components to try to sell you the whole assembly. They really wanted $386 per side for locking hubs?? They list for $315 each.

They quoted me about $35 each. I ordered them online for a few bucks. Dealers s u c k
2001 F-350 Lariat,CC,LB,SRW,4X4,Auto,7.3,2"lift,KYBs, 3.73, steel oil x-over, aFe Stage II Pro 7, AirCond mod, Fumoto, DP 60,80,100. AIH Delete, hi-lite/fog-lite on mod. Dead bird in grill. Part of finger in new ball joint nut.
MarvinVR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
I had a similar experience with terrible parts guys at dealers.

Me: "I need an IPR for a 7.3L"
Parts guy: *types* "Umm.. Hmm. Do you mean a FICM?"
Me: "No. There is no FICM on a 7.3 it has an IDM, but thats not what I need, I need an IPR."
Parts guy: "Well all we have is the FICM for the 7.3L.

Bought an IPR from a different parts guy the next day at the same dealer

Phoenix 6pos (Stock, 65dd, Whisper, 100p, 120r, 80t), 6637 Intake, RR-IC Boots, BW CPS, DeFoiled, 08 Tail Lights, MBRP TB 4" w/ muffler, Firestone load bags, 05+ Tow mirrors, Custom Flag Mount

My Youtube videos
A/Ox4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
asd

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post

Absolutely, $368.00. I guess they were trying to make a profit on a profit. Typical. Incidentally I tried them for the first time last night. I know there has been a lot of bad publicity about the ESOF hub system but you have to admit that when it's 15 with 30 MPH winds and snow blowing sideways it's so nice to just sit in the nice warm truck, twist the switch, and idle up the driveway.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

This thread is a perfect example of why you MUST research part numbers before you go to the dealership. You could argue IPR vs. FICM all day long, but if you give them a part number, there is no room for discussion there.

I've ordered specific part numbers at dealers and have them ask me--"where did you even find this part number?".

Check your wiring harness: Chaffed wiring at driver's valve cover.

Keep everyone (and yourself) updated:7.3 mileage and repair thread

If you insist on throwing parts at your truck to fix the problem, go big--don't forget the driver's side frame rail.

If your ICP connector has oil in it, change it. Don't argue, just change it. Don't check other things first, just change it.
ReefBlue is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefBlue View Post
I've ordered specific part numbers at dealers and have them ask me--"where did you even find this part number?".
So did you tell them "From TheDieselStop"?

Even Ford's own parts site isn't infallable. If you order a Rear Main Seal from thier site for a 7.3L, you'll get one that will drop thru the center of the one on your truck. When I tried to tell them it was wrong, they didn't even care.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yes I told them--

Ive had to find parts numbers more than once when the guys behind the counter couldnt---each time Ive told them about Dieselstop and how they should use this place instead of their own system lol
2001 F-350 Lariat,CC,LB,SRW,4X4,Auto,7.3,2"lift,KYBs, 3.73, steel oil x-over, aFe Stage II Pro 7, AirCond mod, Fumoto, DP 60,80,100. AIH Delete, hi-lite/fog-lite on mod. Dead bird in grill. Part of finger in new ball joint nut.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

Sweet, I just hit up the old googlerator and came up with 2004 F250 ESOF Hub Service . I'm gonna do the full service.

I always appreciate everybody's help!

Dennis

2004 Excursion 6.0L PSD 115k, 4x4 Stock.
ddevore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Good for you---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddevore View Post
Sweet, I just hit up the old googlerator and came up with 2004 F250 ESOF Hub Service . I'm gonna do the full service.

I always appreciate everybody's help!

Dennis
Dude, Ive never touched one of these things but read that site or one similar and prayed then just did it. EASY. It was easy. I replaced the ball joints too and that was easy. One thing I did wrong though was over grease the interior of the hubs. Nothing bad has happened so far but from reading how much should be in there, I probably over did it by 5 times. Anyway, its a walk in the park. Just do what they say and place the rings etc in a pile exactly as they came out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.