IDM/ PCM Test Procedure - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IDM/ PCM Test Procedure

Hello Everyone. I am a new member, but have been keeping up with the 7.3L forum for about 2 months now.

My truck had the symptoms of the UVC harness problem. Before I could get it home, the engine died. I purchased the retainers from Ford and added them. The passenger side was definately unplugged. I reassembled and the truck will not start. I had it scanned with the Snap On scanner and verified everything was working. The high pressure oil, fuel pump, etc... The fuel filter has 10K on it.

I ran the injector buzz test and both banks showed open with codes 1293/94. It failed the test. I asked the scanner owner if the PCM was bad. He said with the amount of communications with the scanner, probably not. I have ohmed out the injector harnesses and everything is fine.

My question is how to test the IDM. No one at the dealer seems to know, they just want to sell a new one. Also, (ashamed to say) I have looked everywhere for it. Where is it located on the 99? I knew where it was on my 96.

Thanks for the help.
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2005, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Re: IDM/ PCM Test Procedure

To find the IDM, You will need to remove the drivers side fender liner, and look up and back toward the firewall you will see it.

as for test procedure I have only ever changed it with one that is known good...

You might want to ohm out the wires going from the IDM to the engine/injector harness. and make sure you check all the pins on the harnesses, I've seen alot of loose connections where the harness ohms out fine, but the pins aren't making good contact.

I hope this helps.

Kory

North East Mid-Atlantic Diesel Club: http://www.nemadc.org/

MrPlowJr_EZ_V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)

I agree with what Kory said.

Check your wiring before buying an IDM. The codes you got pertain to only 2 wires, each one going to the center pin of the VC gasket connector. Find the same wire color at the IDM connector and check for continuity.

Also, did you eyeball the VC gasket connector for burnt pins? The center one on each side carries all the voltage to the injectors, and if it's burnt or open, the whole side is dead.

Good luck with it.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2005, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Kory and KL,

If i spin the engine over as if trying to start it, should i be able to measre the 110 volts DC on the center pin of the valve cover harness? Just curious. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

check out e-bay and watch for IDM's maybe you can get one cheaper than what the dealers wants for one.

2004/1997 Powerstroke Pics, Ford 9N Tractor,6.0 Bible
dwelch1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2005, 09:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

I had a no start condition on my 2002 Excursion and had it towed to a dealer and they found the wire harness rubbed raw and shorted out in the fender well area.
2002 Excursion Limited 4x4.Black,BTS Trans,ATS ported shroud,AIS,SCMT,SPA gauges,Magnaflow super tuner exhaust,Bilstein shocks,V codes,Hellwig swaybar,Radius Rods,AirDog,CCV3550,JNB fuel mods, Weld EVO Renegade 16x8,Nitto Terra Grappler AT 305/70/16 E Code=NQW5,ART brakes.
ken527 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2005, 02:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Kory and KL,

If i spin the engine over as if trying to start it, should i be able to measre the 110 volts DC on the center pin of the valve cover harness? Just curious. Thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you even need to turn the engine over, just have the key on. AFAIK, the IDM puts out voltage continuously at the center pin and completes the circuit thru the injectors by grounding the individual injector wire. I'd be careful about measuring it, though. It brings back memories of being zapped by the bare spark plug leads on the old Model A [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

KL,

Will the later model IDM (XC3Z-12B599AC) work for my early 99 model truck?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (24)

[ QUOTE ]
I have ohmed out the injector harnesses and everything is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that with the voltages the injectors are fired by, faults in the harnesses may not show up with a VOM. At best, you are pushing 9 volts but more probably 1 1/2 volt to try to find a fault in the harness. Operating voltage is closer to 110 volts. You can get a false reading.
Jim
2001, F250 4x4, CC, Auto; Mobil 1 in transfer case&Trans.; Frantz Bypass Filter; "Hutch" fuel mods; Sonnax/Tricum mod; 4" Exhaust, 30" MagnaFlow; Attitude in A-Pillar and tranny gauge in Dash; AIS; EASE Diagnostics; Reese Slider Hitch; Fr Rotors, Cryo Treated&Slotted by ART.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2005, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that with the voltages the injectors are fired by, faults in the harnesses may not show up with a VOM. At best, you are pushing 9 volts but more probably 1 1/2 volt to try to find a fault in the harness. Operating voltage is closer to 110 volts. You can get a false reading.
Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim,

Is there a way to get around this problem? Just a visual test?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
KL,

Will the later model IDM (XC3Z-12B599AC) work for my early 99 model truck?

Thanks again for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure, but I've heard that they are all the same.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That is how I found my problem with the harness.
Jim
2001, F250 4x4, CC, Auto; Mobil 1 in transfer case&Trans.; Frantz Bypass Filter; "Hutch" fuel mods; Sonnax/Tricum mod; 4" Exhaust, 30" MagnaFlow; Attitude in A-Pillar and tranny gauge in Dash; AIS; EASE Diagnostics; Reese Slider Hitch; Fr Rotors, Cryo Treated&Slotted by ART.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Jim,

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, you could megger the harness but it would have to be disconnected from both ends. The higher voltages could do damage to the injectors and or the IDM. Don't know of any other way.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.