IF YOU RUN OUT OF FUEL, WHAT DO YOU DO - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2006, 01:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IF YOU RUN OUT OF FUEL, WHAT DO YOU DO

Just a question, i have a old 6.9 navistar diesel and if i run out of fuel i have to bleed the fuel line through a scharder valve. My question is do i have to do anything special if we were to run out except add gas.

Just a curious question

Thank you
Dylan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2006, 01:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (2)
Re: IF YOU RUN OUT OF FUEL, WHAT DO YOU DO

cycle the key a few times and crank her up.

Mike
kainers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2006, 02:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
My question is do i have to do anything special if we were to run out except add gas.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you would not add gas to a diesel. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Seriously, I had to walk to the fuel station twice, it took 4 gal. of diesel to get my engine to prime after I ran out. Yes my truck was on level ground. It took quite a few key cycles to get fuel up to the engine. The bright side is I know exactly where empty is on my fuel gage. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2006, 02:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (2)

[ QUOTE ]
The bright side is I know exactly where empty is on my fuel gage. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is funny right there and true.I have had her cut out once.I begged for a fuel station and got one.Invest in a fuel pressure gauge.It will flutter when you are running out and when your fuel filter is clogged.
kainers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2006, 06:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)

[ QUOTE ]
Just a question, i have a old 6.9 navistar diesel and if i run out of fuel i have to bleed the fuel line through a scharder valve. My question is do i have to do anything special if we were to run out except add gas.

Just a curious question

Thank you
Dylan

[/ QUOTE ]

to answer your curious question. Dont think it would be a good idea to add GAS to your out of fuel diesel [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
j_apetersen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2006, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to coldair

half a tank is my empty mark, I hate pushing a 9300lb block of steel and plastic
2002 Excursion LTD(PCM:NQW5)Pheltech Tru-Cowl Induction Hood BTS transmission FASS and ITP fuel system, 38/15.5/20 Toyo's on Weld 12" wide wheels,15k warn and warn 9.5k rear 4:30s ARB air lockers front and Dana80 rear. Trail ready front bumper,Road Armor rear bumper light force driving lights, PIAA backup lights,Dakota digital gages, F5 DP tuner chip,Hypermax stage 2 injectors,4" exhaust, 11" Edge lift, King shocks, edge crossover steering, ORU ram assist steering
OneUp ladder bars,TN turbo, Dynatrac conversion kit. Alpine F1, Zapco amps. two dc1100.1, three dc1000.4, 1 dc750.2, driving seas reference series front stage and Zapco competition rear fill and 2 Jl audio 13w7 subs
AP Racing big brakes, Amp Research running boards
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2006, 07:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

My early 99 ran dry once. Since my tank will only take 25.5 when the truck is sucking air.

The cycling the switch did not occur to me since I thought the fuel pump came on and ran until it got the pressure up.

Anyway it cranked right back up, but caused a huge roucus under the hood for a while.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

[ QUOTE ]
My early 99 ran dry once. Since my tank will only take 25.5 when the truck is sucking air.

The cycling the switch did not occur to me since I thought the fuel pump came on and ran until it got the pressure up.

Anyway it cranked right back up, but caused a huge roucus under the hood for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Electric pumps will run 5-15 seconds depending on the manufacture. They don't monitor pressure they just run.

Wayne B
2000 F-250 XLT PSD 4X4 ESOF Auto, SC, LB, Gauges, Mag-HyTech Trans Pan & Rear End Cover, <font color="red"> (((XM))) Inside</font>, ATV Racks w/ Two Kawasaki Prairie 400 4X4's sitting on them, 25' Rockwood TT. Ashburn, Va. Member # 103 Pictures

www.CarpathiaHost.com
Wayne B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2006, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

[ QUOTE ]
Invest in a fuel pressure gauge.It will flutter when you are running out and when your fuel filter is clogged.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree completely. I have a SPA tech digital fuel pressure gauge with the transducer in the return pressure regulator in place of the analog gauge. I have the visual alarm set for 55 psi. My return is set for 72 psi. The fuel pressure is usually rock steady but on returning from a horse show in Ontario, I was running on fumes by the time I got home. Went around a corner just 2 miles from the fuel station and the warning light on the gauge blinked. I watched the gauge all the way to the station and never dropped pressure again. The overhead gauge said 10 miles to empty when I pulled in. Filled up and it took 42 gallons!

I normally refill the tank when it gets down to 1/2 full but when it hit 1/2 tank, we were way out in the boonies, many miles from a truck stop.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2006, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

I went through that agony ONCE with my old Brand G and vowed never again. Quarter tank is my "Don't pass the next diesel pump regardless of price!" point. Normally somewhere between 400 and 500 miles is my point of looking for fuel.

I hear of guys talking about miles per tankful and think "Now there's a gluton for punishment."
Evans, 203 degree thermostat, Poor Man's Tymar, 4" Single SS Exhaust, Rugged Air Dam
225-75x16E tires in front 235-85x16Es in back, tires aired up to 100 psi, Lowered 4" in front and 6" in back, "Fastback" bed fairing
21.3 MPG before mods
27.0 MPG tested with mods
Dave Whitmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Jees Dave, I have dust blowing aound in my tank at 200 miles. Bout that time I can notice wth wife leaning over and monitoring the fuel guage. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2006, 12:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Wayne

i need to know more about the system. I must have been wrong upstairs all this time. So what tells the elec fuel pump to come back on and boost more fuel up.

Or does it run without the fuel pump after the initial pump up?

I donno [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2006, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

If this is a diesel with an injection pump and a steel line going to the spray nozzle (injector) at each cylinder then you will need to bleed the air from the injection pump (usually a fitting on top of the pump can be removed till MOSTLY fuel comes out ) and try to start the engine, if it will not start you will need to bleed the air from the injection lines also. One line at a time break the nut loose at the spray nozzle (injector) and crank the engine, when fuel spirts out more than air tighten the nut, repeat on all lines or till the engine fires. Once it fires the other lines may purge themselves, if not remember which line you have NOT done as you will need to bleed them also. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

RETIRED: 99 F250 2WD LARIAT CREW CAB, 3.73,NMN1 REFLASH WITH "MILD" ASE MECHANIC PROGRAM (TOTALLY AWESOME) TRANS-GO SHIFT KIT W/LATE MODEL SERVO PACK FROM BRIAN's, BILSTEIN, AIS AIR FILTER ASSEMBLY, PILLAR W/BOOST & PYRO, DUAL FUEL BY-PASS CIRCUITS W/AEROMOTIVE REGULATOR AND RESTRICTED RETURNS @ HEADS, "HUTCH MOD" FUEL SUPPLY AND TANK MODS, 2002 INNERCOOLER W/ENGINE BLOW-BY RE-ROUTED, OWNER FABRICATED 4" TURBO BACK EXHAUST WITH BIG RIG MUFFLER, Q-FORMS W/DYNAUDIO FT., FOCAL DRIVERS IN CUSTOM ENCLOSURES REAR, JL AUDIO STEALTH BOX, ADCOM & NAKAMICHI AMPS, CLARION PRO HEAD UNIT, LINE X BED LINER, ROLL N LOCK COVER, 01 LARIAT WHEELS, LED'S IN OVERHEAD CONSOLE, LIGHTS OVER RUNNING BOARDS & IN BED http://community.webshots.com/user/hutchinaugusta</span>
hutchinaugusta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Sorry, my mistake. When i said gas i ment to say diesel. But thanks for the help.

NOSERVICE4YOU
Old 07-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Just in case.....I keep a 5 Gal. container of fuel locked up in the bed of the truck. I dump a little in If I think I am getting close to running out while looking for a station that sells diesel a few cents lower than the last place I past.
2001 PSD Super Duty F350 XLT 2WD SRW Shorty 4SPD. BD Performance Trans.& Conv. K&N Air Filter,Line-X, Mag Hytec Diff. Cover, BD-Exh.Brake, Elec.trans.cooler,3-gauges/A pillar. 2003 Alpenlite 32ft Augusta 5er.
Firestone Air Bags. Michelin XPS LT 235/85R 16/E
1 Choc. Lab.
Dozer Don is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.