The Diesel Stop banner

Improving the reliability of my truck

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Dragster 8.99 
#1 · (Edited)
2001 F350 dually that I have had since new. Recently got a 14k lb fifth wheel trailer that is putting the truck to work for the first time. Pulled some bumper pull trailers that probably weren't 5k lbs before this. On our trip to the campground this weekend the truck experienced the valve cover wire connector problem. I hadn't heard of it before, but got the bad side fixed. Since the truck is 16 years old, what should I be doing or replacing to keep it as reliable as it has been the last 16 years? What I have planned.
1. Replace the other valve cover gasket.
2. 6.0 transmission cooler. Transmission was rebuilt about 5k miles ago. Temps running in the 220's when doing a lot of starting and stopping.
3. New radiator and heater hoses along with the thermostat. Should I do the water pump too?
4. Install the thermocouple for the gauges. Put in a TS six position chip. Holy cow what a difference.
5. Replace the driveline fluids with synthetic.

Hubs have been replaced, all the brakes and brake lines are new.

What about U joints?

What am I missing?
Thanks
Rob

See less See more
#2 ·
Ford Severe Duty Air Intake System (AIS) has been one of my favorites. Available from your local dealer or on-line. Best air filtration on the planet and more closed hood time. I would also replace the other UVC harness for insurance. Had to replace mine on a trip once when towing and when I got home, I had my mechanic check the other side...sure enough, it was getting ready to fail also.

My engine has been hard on water pumps also.

#3 ·
New trans cooler.

New Intake system (AIS, S&B, DIY 6637)

A billet compressor wheel.
You will get surge towing that heavy while running a tune.

And a 4" exhaust if you haven't installed one yet.
It will drop egts 200 degrees over stock

#4 ·
new high pressure oil lines

#5 ·
I should also consider this on my 2001 even though the mileage is reasonably low.

#7 ·
I dont think the Op mentioned his mileage but I'm at 86k.

I'd be interested in some information for hpop maintenance on a 16 year old truck but I certainly dont mean to hijack the thread.

#9 ·
Just had my HPOP gone through & new seals. Mine started leaking in 18 degree weather this winter when visiting in Nashville. Believe it leaked less the warmer it got on the way back to Texas & warmer temps.

#10 ·
Only 120k on the clock. Most of those are easy miles. Did the DIY intake. Have parts for the rest of what I mentioned. I'll look into the oil lines. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.