Injector cleaner, Whats best - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector cleaner, Whats best

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good injector cleaner fuel additive? I mean can you notice the results in power and mileage? Thanks for the help.

Scott
monstermx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Injector cleaner, Whats best

Well, I have put all sorts of snake oil in my tanks. However, the best stuff I have ever found was on the injector tester bench. I took out 6 injectors out of my MB diesel and had them tested. 5 were good and one was spraying badly and had lower pop off pressure. They disassembled it and cleaned it till it was just as good as the others. Power was a little better and ran smoother according to the wife who didn't know what I did. So, before I spend money on that snake oil, I'd make sure the injectors were good or bad. I would do my MB again after 100K. For the truck, I would probably do it at 150K.
01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear.
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (2)

I don't know if it is snake oil but I had the best experience seafoam.It is only 6 bucks at napa.

I didn't pour it straight into the filter I added it to the tank and still noticed a difference.
kainers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I use Schaeffer's Diesel treat. Beans diesel performance recommends it also.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/diesel_treat_2000.html

Especially since the new ULSD is alot drier and lacking in lubrication. Need something to protect the fuel pump & injectors.
www.totaldieselperformance.com, Tony Wildman 4 pos chip, 2003 7.3L F250 Lariat, Swamps 175/146 single shots, MBRP exhaust, AIS w/fender sleeve & Zoodad, ISSPRO A-pillar 3 gauge kit(pyro/boost/tran temp), DiPricol HPOP & Fuel, oilguard bypass filter, CCV mod, extreme duty tranny (by Jon Faubion-Richter69), BTS (PI) Torque Converter, AIH delete, 6.0 trans cooler, van turbo w/wicked wheel, Gutted EBPV, DI Intercooler, ITP Overboost Kit , HX mod, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Ride-Rite air bags w/compressor, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Schaeffer's 15W-40, ITP in tank mod/pre-pump filter, Harpoon mod
rms0726ea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

stanadyne is good. you mentioned seafoam. not familiar w/ it but a tech on our ford message board said a customer poured some of this down his intake & damaged some of the pushrods & rockers. don't do this. thought his eng. was damaged for good. its probably just as bad as using either & too much at one time. either is not recommended for these engs.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)

My vote goes for the Seafoam. My startup from dead cold are improved since the SeaFoam treatment.
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

Hi kan. After reading this thread, I logged onto the Sea Foam site and found these directions:

1. Fill primary fuel filter with SEA FOAM. Be sure filter is fully primed to prevent air locks. This will clean injectors quickly.

2. Use 1 pint of SEA FOAM to every 25 gallons of diesel fuel to add lubricity, clean fuel lines, injector pump and remove moisture.

3. Use 1 pint of SEA FOAM to every 4 gallons of oil to clean rings and other engine parts internally. For best results, use SEA FOAM for 1 hour before oil change. Results in cleaner engines and longer oil change intervals.

This lists three 'separate' procedures for the product. I don't know about you, but it takes me about 2 hours to replace the fuel filter, so I really don't want to get into that. However, adding it to the fuel or oil just before changing wouldn't be a problem. Which of the the 3 procedures do you follow? Or do you do all three?
2012 F-350 SD Crew Cab, SRW, LWB, 4 X 4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins, AirLift Air Bags, BedLocker electric bed cover, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, King Ranch Package

'99 E-350 HiTop Companion Van Conversion, 7.3 SD Diesel, 5-tune DP Tuner, Triple AutoMeter C2 A-pillar gauge pod, twin K&N's, 203* mod, Deraler tubed trannie pan, B&M trannie cooler, AirLift air bags, Bilsteins, 4" DiamondEye turbo back exhaust, US Gear Underdrive Auxillary Transmission
clev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

Hello again; I forgot a couple of questions. How often do you use this product? With every fill-up of fuel? Every oil change?
2012 F-350 SD Crew Cab, SRW, LWB, 4 X 4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins, AirLift Air Bags, BedLocker electric bed cover, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, King Ranch Package

'99 E-350 HiTop Companion Van Conversion, 7.3 SD Diesel, 5-tune DP Tuner, Triple AutoMeter C2 A-pillar gauge pod, twin K&N's, 203* mod, Deraler tubed trannie pan, B&M trannie cooler, AirLift air bags, Bilsteins, 4" DiamondEye turbo back exhaust, US Gear Underdrive Auxillary Transmission
clev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 08:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

I have used Stanadyne for years about every 3rd tank. I recently tried Howe's and got the best MPG so far in my truck. It only picked up just under 1 MPG, but with these fuel prices, every little bit helps.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers
F350_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have used 1 & 2, both with good results, option 2 you will notice a differance within a tank. Option 1, you will notice a differance within a few seconds. Just bleed the fuel canister, fill with seafoam, start like you would when changing a filter, smile, drink a beer, or in my case a Makers Mark and water. Bourbon mixes with water a lot better than diesel.

You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
arisley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sea Foam not recommended by whom? Sea Foam has a section on their site about directions for use with diesels...

Here

These directions never mention dumping it in the intake...

My PSD X

2000 Excursion 7.3L PSD 4X4
DP-Tuner F5 : no start, stock, 40T, Decel, 80T, 80E - AutoMeter A pillar w/ 3 Phantom gauges - DIY Tymar intake w/ S&B conical filter - Zoodad mod - Suncoast Extreme Duty Trans rebuild w/ TransGo Shift kit, Amsoil synthetic ATF & Magnefine inline filer - BD Triple Disc Billet Torque Converter - 4" Stainless Steel Turbo Back (4" down pipe) Magnaflow exhaust - ATS Turbo housing and 4" intake sleeve - Turbo Master Wastegate Controller - HX Oil Crossover - Morse Ceramic brake pads - Monroe Reflex Shocks - Energy Suspension Bushings - IC foil wrap delete - Fumoto Oil Valve - 08' Aluminum Rear Differential Cover - White Night reverse light system - Garmin StreetPilot c340 GPS - 6.o tranny cooler - Dieselsite Coolant Filter w/ CAT ELC coolant - Amsoil Single Bypass Oil Filter w/ Rotella 5W40 synthetic oil - APC white gauge cluster face - Dual in-dash DVD w/ Infinity Reference speakers & Blaupunkt 200A powered sub - 4.5" LED marker/turn lights in front bumper - ViAir HD onboard air system w/ 380C compressor, 2.5 gal tank & Grover stutter tone air horn - FireStone RideRite suspension air bags -

TOWING:
2004 Dutchmen 31BH travel trailer
detroitfd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 11:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

"I have used 1 & 2, both with good results, option 2 you will notice a differance within a tank."

Who said anything about dumping into the intake?

You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

"customer poured some of this down his intake & damaged some of the pushrods & rockers. don't do this."

OOPS

Old 04-08-2007, 11:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Anyone know if when using SF it matters if:

1) You drive or idle the truck for the suggested 1 hour?
2) The amount of time after you add SF and run the truck until the oil can be changed?

i only ask because I have about a 45 minute ride to work, but then it would be 4-6 hours until I could actually change it. Just wondering if it would be better to put it in before I leave and then change it when I can, or to idle it for an hour before I immediately change it, or 3) wait until I'm home...

Thanks!

My PSD X

2000 Excursion 7.3L PSD 4X4
DP-Tuner F5 : no start, stock, 40T, Decel, 80T, 80E - AutoMeter A pillar w/ 3 Phantom gauges - DIY Tymar intake w/ S&B conical filter - Zoodad mod - Suncoast Extreme Duty Trans rebuild w/ TransGo Shift kit, Amsoil synthetic ATF & Magnefine inline filer - BD Triple Disc Billet Torque Converter - 4" Stainless Steel Turbo Back (4" down pipe) Magnaflow exhaust - ATS Turbo housing and 4" intake sleeve - Turbo Master Wastegate Controller - HX Oil Crossover - Morse Ceramic brake pads - Monroe Reflex Shocks - Energy Suspension Bushings - IC foil wrap delete - Fumoto Oil Valve - 08' Aluminum Rear Differential Cover - White Night reverse light system - Garmin StreetPilot c340 GPS - 6.o tranny cooler - Dieselsite Coolant Filter w/ CAT ELC coolant - Amsoil Single Bypass Oil Filter w/ Rotella 5W40 synthetic oil - APC white gauge cluster face - Dual in-dash DVD w/ Infinity Reference speakers & Blaupunkt 200A powered sub - 4.5" LED marker/turn lights in front bumper - ViAir HD onboard air system w/ 380C compressor, 2.5 gal tank & Grover stutter tone air horn - FireStone RideRite suspension air bags -

TOWING:
2004 Dutchmen 31BH travel trailer
detroitfd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

I would add it when I came out from work and change my oil as soon as I got home, except for the two beers of course (forty-five minutes home, two beers = 45 min.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.