injector driver module problem - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2006, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
injector driver module problem

does anybody have any idea where I can get an Injector Driver Module for a 2000 7.3 Stroke? At 118,000 miles mine went out. I had it in for warranty work before the warranty went out, and they couldn't find the problem. Well, it raised it's ugly head, and the Stroker starts cutting out. It finally did it while in the Ford garage on the computer.
I need some cheap help on where to get one, and how to change it!

Thanks, Z-28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Re: injector driver module problem

Some have bought them on Ebay??? I would try Fordpartsonline as I don't trust Ebay for electronic parts like this.
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

White Stroker
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

Usually when the truck throws an IDM code, it's because the under valve cover (UVC) clips aren't making proper contact. It's a cheap service call to replace the UVC clips. When the clips are acting up, the wiring harness that fires the injecters doesn't act right. Mine went out again last week, and the engine would barely run so I could drive it the 4 miles to the Ford house. But nothing was wrong with the IDM - just the UVC clips.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2006, 03:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

What Smokey said.... If you retrieve any IDM codes, it doesn't mean replace the IDM.... it means look for a problem in this area....

If it was as simple as some seem to think, I'd spend my day hanging out at the soup kitchen....
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I found out that the IDM was bad after a short was found under the driver's side valve cover. The tech said that after he ran another scan on the smart box, it showed that the IDM was still bad. He told me that short can cause the IDM to go bad. After I drove the truck home from the shop, it started to act up again.
Is E-bay or Fordpartsonline the only place to find a reasonably priced IDM??????
Z-28
Old 08-04-2006, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

I like these guys for parts.

Not e-bay cheap, but reasonable, they always treat me like family (or better).

Did you remove the power pup before diagnosis?....R
2001 F-250 PSD SWB CC, 3:73 Ls, 4R, PMT.
Triple hpops, 1000hp vaporware injectors, dual reg return 1" feed to each head, triple sd fuel pumps, dos turbos + 1, triple 6647 air filters, Quadruple disc T/C with elephant man transmission, 6 pos Moe betta chip stacked with banks 6 gun, edge ez and sooper chit tuner, cryo'ed PMR's, fuzzy dice a pine tree air freshener and JJ's/HC's.
rustler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2006, 09:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, I removed the program before it read the code.
Z-28
Old 08-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

One other question,Rustler, I tried to find on the website that you like, but couldn't find the module anywhere . Maybe, I just don't know where to look!
Z-28
Old 08-04-2006, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

I always call to order parts and didn't look for a IDM before posting. If you try them in the morning they may be able to help.

Didn't mean to send you on a wild goose chase...R
2001 F-250 PSD SWB CC, 3:73 Ls, 4R, PMT.
Triple hpops, 1000hp vaporware injectors, dual reg return 1" feed to each head, triple sd fuel pumps, dos turbos + 1, triple 6647 air filters, Quadruple disc T/C with elephant man transmission, 6 pos Moe betta chip stacked with banks 6 gun, edge ez and sooper chit tuner, cryo'ed PMR's, fuzzy dice a pine tree air freshener and JJ's/HC's.
rustler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2006, 11:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (175)

The online parts places all use the same catalog, and it's pretty lame. It completely misses things like our CPS, and a lot of other diesel stuff. Other items are there, but buried somewhere that you'd never think to look.

Here's what you need
XC3Z-12B599-AA
I just searched for it under their OEM Part # search, and they want $554.42 with a $100 core.
Fordparts.com (the online parts house I usually use) beats that by about $10 (still with the core charge)

The $200+/- (&no core charge) new IDM's on eBay sound better all the time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2006, 09:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]
The $200+/- (&no core charge) new IDM's on eBay sound better all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to rain on your parade, but:

They also sound like stolen merchandise.

Big newspaper article recently about professional thief gangs that use E-Bay and similar on-line outfits to fence their stolen goods. If the price for new stuff is below dealer cost, then it's probably stolen merchandise. FBI knows about it and is working the problem, but there are few FBI agents and many, many selfish, dirty, rotten, nasty crooks in the world. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

When you buy stolen merchandise, you are encouraging theft.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2006, 09:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

My truck kept throwing the same IDM codes while missing, knocking, etc. Dealer said needed new IDM. I bought brand new in unopened box off ebay for several hundred dollars less than I could anywhere else, from a very high volume ebay seller. Turned out the problem had nothing to do with the IDM, so now I have my original in the garage (just in case).
My problem was the same as stated earlier...valve cover connections. Mine was the injector connections at the v/cover gaskets. I replaced the cover gaskets (same ebay seller as IDM), and had a local guys do the harness repairs. Later, two more of the injector pigtails had to be replaced. I bought them from the local Navstar truck dealer for about $3 each, and replaced them myself in a couple hours. That was several thousand miles ago, and no problems.
19992054 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Our 2001 F-450 7.3 stopped running last friday so I came on this site to trouble shoot and found a link to an ebay supplier who sold us the IDM for $320 including shipping. I was quoted $1041 before shipping from our local Ford dealer. Ordered the IDM from the supplier in Florida on 8/2, and it was delivered to Maui on 8/4, and truck is running great.

I imagine that there's lots of stolen stuff on eBay. But just because something is being sold cheap doesn't mean it's stolen, so it's not good to accuse someone of buying stolen merchandise without knowing all the facts. If you want to report them for selling stolen merchandise, the company I bought the IDM from is
Auto Computer Exchange
5414 Stirling Road
Davie, Florida 33314
(888) 664-8787
Auto Computer Exchange web site
2003 Isuzu FRR (new to our fleet)
13 B100 rental cars (1.4 million B100 miles)
4 Beetles, 8 Jettas, 1 Jeep Liberty CRD
BioBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks to all for the info. I ordered an IDM off of an E-bay vendor. It is a oem, new in box IDM. I too agree that nearly all of the E-bay vendors with a good reputation are trust-worthy. I do use the feedback info. I need to get my stroker back on the road, and will for about $700 less than it was going to cost me at the Ford garage.
thanks again,
Z-28
Old 08-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

One Last Question on IDM's ... are these modules already to go from Ford, or do they need to "programed" before they are ready to go? I am waiting for mine to come in, and hope that they are ready to plug and play!!!!
Z-28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.