The Diesel Stop banner

Injector issue

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  genemcmi 
#1 ·
02 F350. When I go to start my truck it feels like it is hydra- locked. I'm getting a lot of white smoke while starting and it doesn't seem to clear up after it warms up. I took it to a local shop and they did a buzz test and contribution test. Everything looked ok and it isn't giving any codes. The mechanic said he doesn't have much experience with these trucks, but it looked like an injector was sticking open or leaking. I live about 250 miles from any other shop. Is there a way to tell which injector is bad? My truck has 136,000 miles on it. I have been searching the forum, but I haven't found anything that tells. Thanks for any help.
Gene

#4 ·
When I go to start my truck it feels like it is hydra- locked.
Describe this better. Is it cranking slowly? Can you post a video of it cranking?

Sounds like your starter, batteries, or wiring is suspect and you aren't getting full cranking amps to spin the engine over fast enough.

What is the condition of your GP system?

#5 ·
When I turn the key it starts to turn over but stops. The engine doesn't even do a whole revolution. After trying it a few times it turns over fast and starts. My batteries are 2 or 3 years old, I did take them to the auto parts store and they checked them, they said they tested good. I replaced the glow plugs last summer and the gpr about 2 months ago. I replaced the starter last winter. I cleaned the battery terminals and the cable ends. I can try to do a video, but it will take a couple of days due to my work schedule.

#8 · (Edited)
The video link is fixed so you should be able to see it. That was my first time posting a video. If it is coolant in the combustion chamber does that mean it is probably a head gasket? I will check to see if it smells like coolant, also I think it is losing coolant.

#9 ·
Does it do this every time or only when sitting for a while and the engine is cold? Can you start the truck, let it idle, shut it off and restart immediately with the same issue?

#11 ·
I can run the truck, shut it off then restart it with out any issue. A couple of hours isn't any problem either. Over night and I have problems. It seems like if I let it sit for a couple of days it starts fine again. I replaced the injector cups a couple of years ago, maybe I didn't do a good enough job.

#12 ·
If the heads was not perfectly clean and didn't use sealant or the wrong one to install those cup, there's good chance that one of the cup lifted.

Did you smell at the smoke during startup like nick suggested?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 ·
I'm going to try smelling for coolant again, it's going to be a few days before I get the chance, we are getting a lot of snow right now. The sealant I used was the green, I think loctite brand. I thought I got it clean, but if the cups are the problem again I must not have got them clean enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.