The Diesel Stop banner

Injector replacement/no start

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Maryland dieselnick 
#1 ·
I swapped in single shot injectors and now I cannot get the truck to start. Cranked it a ton and it will catch and blow lots of thick white smoke out the tail pipe, but never enough to actually fire.

Its holding 2300psi on the HPOP and we have it jump/boosted by another running diesel so plenty of battery.

Tried unhooking the ICP, but then it only gets to about 200psi and will not even catch.

What an I missing??

#3 ·
How are you measuring HP oil pressure? If thru the ICP/PCM with a scan tool, there may be a problem with the signal. If the PCM thinks it's getting 2300 psi cranking, it's going to tell the IPR to dump pressure. More than likely the actual pressure is lower than the required 500 psi for starting.

Like Nick said, single shots will need proper tuning, although it should still start. Timing will be too advanced to run properly with a split-shot program in the PCM.

#5 ·
So why would there be an issue with the psi, truck ran fine before the swap.
To swap injectors you were mucking around with lots of stuff, and may have moved the ICP sensor wiring enough to cause a short or other problem.

The Torque app reads info from the PCM, which only gets what the wires send to it. A relatively high resistance short between wires could cause a biased signal from the ICP to the PCM.

#8 ·
It should start inside of say ten seconds.
How is your fuel pressure? Oil level in tank and crankcase?
Glow plug ohms at valve cover and voltage drop on relay.
Take video of you jumping starter relay with keys in your pocket. I want to hear how even it is. Post to YouTube, link here. In Baltimore picking up sister at train, will check back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.