Injectors - how many miles ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 04:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injectors - how many miles ?

How many miles should I expect to get from the injectors in my 2001 F-350, before I notice a drop in power.I have changed the fuel filter & air cleaner. Thanks for any & all replies.
lloydmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2006, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Injectors - how many miles ?

How many miles have you got on your engine now?? I've got just over 111,000 miles on my 2000 and it runs very strong. What do you mean when you say you've changed the fuel and air filter?? You've just now changed them?? The fuel filter should be changed about every 15k or as needed sooner if you get bad fuel. I don't know about the air filter, mine is reuseable and I just clean as needed. You can add diesel additives to your fuel to help keep the injectors clean.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2006, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)

A friend of mine has 630,000 on his O2 and he has never changed any injectors some people get lucky and some go out nomatter how good you take care of your truck

2008 Ford F350 auto CC Lariat 4x4 SRW Crome package

Sold lemon 2008 Ford F350 Auto CC Lariat 4X4

2000 Ford F450 Auto CC Lariat 9' FlatBed BTS Tranny 6.0 cooler 6 pos chip Garret GTP38R Turbo Adrenaline HPOP 410 gears AIS airbox 4" exaust

2000 Ford F250 Auto CC SB 4X4 BTS Tranny KCM S.S. HPX Line AIS airbox 4" exaust 6 pos. BTS Chip

Sold 1999.5 Ford F350 Supercap 6 speed LB DW AIS airbox 4" exaust Turbonetics turbo 6 pos. BTS Preformance chip

Sold 1997 F350 SUPER Cab auto LB Banks Turbo and after cooler
Bobbyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Injector life depends on two main factors. Fuel quality and oil quality.

One bad tank of fuel, contaminated with water, or gas, for instance can (and will, usually) wipe out an entire set of injectors. Not the entire injector of, ourse, but the "heart" of the injector, which is the plunger and barrel assembly.

The fitment between these tow parts (think fitment of piston to cylinder wall) is on the order of 20-30 millionths of an inch.

ANy loss of lubrication will gall these parts in an instant...rendering them useless. Loss of lubrication can also occur when fuel pump goes out, but usually the siphoning action of these parts will actually pull fuel, through the feed lines, and the truck will still run.

That's why clean, well filtered fuel is esential to happy injectors.

On the oil side of the injector, the main wear area is the poppet valve.

This valve opens and closes (similar to a valve in a cyl head) metering the oil into and out of the injector.

With crappy oil, the poppet valve (& seat) will wear much more quickly than with "good" oil.

But at some point, after millions of injection events, the valve and its seat will wear (just from the shear repetitive beating of closing the valve over and over)

When the poppet seat wears, some internal tolerances get all jacked up within the injector...requiring machining to get them back into spec.

If you kept good quality, well filtered fuel in the truck (no water, no gas, etc) then the poppet will usually start showing its wear after 175,000-225,000 miles...

We've seen sets come in with 400,000 miles that had wear, but were still functioning...albeit a little out of balance.

We've also seen sets come in with less than a 100,000 on them that were totally jacked from crappy oil...

As an average life expectancy, I'd say after about 200,000 miles you might need them looked at, and brought back into spec...

Typical poppet valve issues are that a truck runs good cold, but rough when warm...thicker oil can bridge the gap of a poorly sealing poppet than when the oil thins out when hot.

take care~

Dave
Old 08-09-2006, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

I lost 2 in 3 weeks at 140k, the fuel was suspect.

North East Mid-Atlantic Diesel Club: http://www.nemadc.org/

MrPlowJr_EZ_V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2006, 02:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies fellows, my truck has been regularly serviced at the due milage, it has just a hundred thousand miles on it & I thought I may be a bit short of power at the top end, but maybe I was hauling more than I thought at the time.
lloydmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.