Just had oil change and now leaking alot of oil - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just had oil change and now leaking alot of oil

Hello. Just got back from Firestone having my oil changed and it is leaking oil pretty bad. I took it back down to them and they said that it is not really their fault and looks like the rear gascit needs replacing(i think). the mechanic said he needs to take out the tranny to get to it. is this true and is it a hard fix? Also is it leaking because it might have a little to much oil in it and will stop leaking soon?
any help is gladly appreciated. They just got me for new rotors and brake pads.
polaris 90
POS 50 quad
1979 honda odyssey
2006 32ft fsc weekend warrior toyhauler
skoolteechr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Don't do it! These trucks rarely if ever leak from the rear main seal. There is a drain at the back up the valley that funnels all leaks from the top out the back, where it drains down. This will fool anyone that doesn't know better into replacing the seal - which will NOT fix the problem.

Take a degreaser and soak the valley area of your truck. Hose it down or use a low pressure pressure washer (car wash wand) and then get up there with a flashlight to find the leak.

Most likely culprits are HPOP o-rings or turbo pedestal.

If you are not comfortable doing this yourself - find a shop that specializes in diesels. Stay away from these franchise shops. You WILL get burned.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow. Thanks for the advice. I will take it to a recommended diesel mechanic.What would be a reasonable cost to fix this leaK?
polaris 90
POS 50 quad
1979 honda odyssey
Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would suspect that you may not have a leak if in fact it wasn't leaking before having the oil changed. They may have spilled some oil in the valley..........intentionally or unintentionally. I would clean the valley and the under side of the truck and then watch for leaks, as suggested previously. I would not take it to anyone until you have eliminated other possibilities.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
RT

I agree with teesh - wash it down and verify there actually is a leak. Confirm the oil is at the right level with the dipstick - although this wouldn't cause it to leak unless it was grossly overfilled - I still worry about where you had your service done. Do you even know what kind of oil they used?

If it is truly leaking, then like I said - it is probably HPOP related or turbo pedestal related. Of the two, the turbo pedestal is the most expensive, as you have to pull the turbo to get to the base. You are probably looking at 250-500 bucks for that. If it is HPOP related - like o-rings - you could get away with less than 100 bucks. If you did the work yourself - you'd be looking at less than 20 dollars in parts for either one.

Watch this video for a general understanding of where these beasts leak from:

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners

You might want to view other videos at the sight - just remember to take everything in context of getting familiar with your motor.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

The oil they said they used was 15w40 diesel oil by Kendal full sythetic and installed the TF2286 oil filter(It is white with red Ford writing on it-I guess thats the oil filter) They said they only use one kind of oil for diesels. Does that seem true and is it a good oil?
When the truck is sitting for about 10 min, the dripping stops. When I start it the dripping begins again. I am assuming it is pressure build up that causes the leaking. It was not really leaking before (a few spots here and there but nothing like this) But of course the mechanic put on the courtesy check that it had an oil leak.
polaris 90
POS 50 quad
1979 honda odyssey
Old 05-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Are you sure its not coming from the oil filter because he forgot to tighten it all the way? I had this happen and I gave the filter another 1/4 turn and everything was happy (but i was able to clearly see it was coming from the oil filter seal)

Just a thought.

2006 E350 6.0 auto cutaway van XLT with fiberglass roadside assistance box w/ air compressor. Company owned but mods will come.

AutoEnginuity w/ Ford Enhanced - Tampa Bay area, FL. Just buy me dinner + fuel
Demoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Good idea. I will check that when I clean underneath today. The oil filter is a white cylider with red writing right?
polaris 90
POS 50 quad
1979 honda odyssey
Old 05-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Located on the drivers side of the engine.
Stock. Replaced #1 Injector/harness, Starter Relay,CPS(twice), GPR, VSS, S-Belt, Alternator H2O Pump. AIS Severe Duty Filter, Switched 10K MOD, Bilsteins, Heater shutoff valve, Rotella Syn, Nitto TG's 305/55 on Eagle 20x10's, Mobil 1 ATF,Walker BTM, Optima Redtops,Mesa, Arizona
PRDATR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolteechr View Post
Good idea. I will check that when I clean underneath today. The oil filter is a white cylider with red writing right?
most likely yes. Its about the size of a 1 liter bottle, maybe a little bigger. Its a large cylinder that hangs on the drivers side of the oil pan/engine.

2006 E350 6.0 auto cutaway van XLT with fiberglass roadside assistance box w/ air compressor. Company owned but mods will come.

AutoEnginuity w/ Ford Enhanced - Tampa Bay area, FL. Just buy me dinner + fuel
Demoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Everything you have read so far is great advice, and you should follow it. It sounds like you really do not have much experience with vehicle repair, which is fine...everyone starts at that point. Because of that, though, if the oil filter is not obviously leaking, better to leave it alone. If that is where the leak is from (doubtful), it will be very noticeable. Last bit of advice is that you should learn how to change your own oil. It is simple, no harder than most simple things you have done in your life. Even if you choose not do it yourself after you learn how to do it, it will help prevent you from getting screwed by these rip-off repair facilities (not includine Firestone, or anyone in particular, in that comment). Not understanding the most basic maintenance item(s) puts you at their mercy, and that can get very costly.
Early '99 F250 XLT 7.3 ext cab, SB, 4x4, auto tranny, 153K miles, completely stock. Installed GlowS**t gauges (never again!) and DIY air filter, Tru Kool trans cooler, 4" exhaust, 50 HP chip. Tows 10K 5th wheel.
buckmeister2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.