Leaking water pump - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leaking water pump

So I noticed a wet spot under the truck, and my 1st thought was "Darn, my fuel filter change caused a leak somehow".
Turns out, it is the water pump leaking coolant.
I looked in the degas, and it is bone dry.

If memory serves me, that tank should have a bunch of coolant in it, right?

I've done waterpumps on cars, so other than the size difference, it should be the same right?

Maybe change over to gold coolant while I'm messing around with coolant anyways?

It really stinks that I just had the coolant flushed and replaced a few months back.

It likes to pull a 34' 2013 Keystone Hideout Travel Trailer
ISSPRO 3 gauge (pyro, boost, trans) pillar install.
Located on Long Island, NY

Last edited by RDG; 04-13-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: language issue...READ the rules!
kench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
The main difference is the water pump has the thermostat housing and lower radiator hose attached - it is bigger. You also need to rent a tool to get the fan off - remember it has reverse threads - spins off to the right.

I know this will start another coolant war, but here goes - you still have to test the gold coolant regularly and add SCA - International has switched to the extended life coolants - they have life expectancies in the 300,000-750,000 mile range. I personally use Shell Rotella ELC. Fill it and forget it.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just did the pump on my buddies 02,the threads are standard.The tool I got at autozone,it came in a set,but the one i needed to hold the pulley was about 2 1/8".Ive heard about some fans that are reverse thread,they are labeled on the shroud.Good luck Al
pinboy122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you use a rental tool, check the dimensions first. IIRC, the fan nut is 1 7/8 and the one I rented from AutoZone was stretched out to 2 1/8 and slipped off of the nut.
I am 6'5" so the Golf is know as the clown car
ftboomer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinboy122 View Post
I just did the pump on my buddies 02,the threads are standard.The tool I got at autozone,it came in a set,but the one i needed to hold the pulley was about 2 1/8".Ive heard about some fans that are reverse thread,they are labeled on the shroud.Good luck Al
That's really strange. My 03 has right handed threads, and the fan clutch is the same part number from 99-03 (Motorcraft F81Z8A616DA)
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
Old 04-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mine is also standard threads, when you get the old pump off clean the mating surface real well. The new pump will come with a new O ring, when I did mine i put a small amount of silicone over the O ring when re installing. Also I did the new thermostat and housing, belt, idler pulley, along with new hoses and belt. Just so that I didn't have to go back in after doing the flush and fill with Rotella ELC. Just a tip is to get the upper hose for a dual alternator set up, it goes behind the belt instead of thru it, so if you have a belt problem or other issue youdon't have to pull the hose to work on it. Not wasting the expensive new coolant.
2001 Ford F-350 drw 4x2 auto,4.10 gears,Turbonetics ball bearing turbo, Turbo Master Wastegate controller, Dieselsite Boots, ceramic coated up-pipes and exaust manifolds, DIY Tymar, 4 inch exaust turbo to tip, Isspro guages EGT,Boost, Trans temp from DieselManor, 6.0 trans cooler, AIH delete with boost attachment, ITP Regulated Fuel Return kit,hutch and harpoon mod done, ITP in tank and prepump mod kit, Rotella ELC, 203 Stat. Oil Guard by-pass filter system
DP Tuner-no start, stock,40,60,80E,120
BTS Transmission,(BTS-BUBBA)
105,000 miles, built to tow
Toys: 03 Screaming Eagle Duece Harley
37ft Cyclone by Heartland 5th wheel toy hauler
ford4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

If you loosen the 4 bolts that hold the pulley on just a little,it will give the wrench more to bite.Once I had the wrench holding the pulley from turning in place I used a long pipewrench,1 smack with a hammer and it was loose.
pinboy122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4me2 View Post
Mine is also standard threads,
OK - this brings up a greater question. I just checked RockAuto, Autozone, Advance Auto, and NAPA - they all only have one fan clutch assembly from the 99-03 7.3's and it has right handed threads - if some of you have left handed threads - where would you get a fan clutch for them? I haven't called Ford yet, but you would think that if it were somehow an option, that the major parts stores would stock both. Very, very weird.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

The F81Z-8A616-DA has right hand threads. Right hand thread IS standard thread. remove fan clutch counter-clockwise. There is No fan clutch that is left hand thread ( clockwise to loosen) in our 99-03 7.3 trucks.If a waterpump pulley has ribs in it or deep V for old style V belt drive it would have reverse threads, But if it is smooth like ours its driven by the back side of the belt so it has to have standard ( right hand ) threads or it would have a chance of spinning off whille engine is running. Our waterpumps ARE reverse rotation so the threads are always tightening.
2001 X Limited 4x4 PSD;F5 DP Tuner;Ford AIS intake; Magnaflow 4in;Autometer GS 3pod pillar;BFG M/T KM 285x75x16;X-codes and f350 blocks;6.0 trans cooler;Delo ELC;Dieselsite 203 stat,eng.coolant filter,turbo/intake hoses;ITP HPX line,tank pre-pump kit;CCV mod;Hellwig sway-bar;RS9000XL;OEM clearlenses/silverstar ultras;XM radio;Yakima MegaWarrior Rack;Dark Satin Green.

1973 K5 Blazer 383stroker,TrickFlow alum.heads,Crower forged rods-roller lifter cam-roller rockers,Keith Black10.5:1,Doug Thorley tri-y,MSD,ARP,Q-jet,on 1 ton axles,1991 front clip,3K miles on FULL body off rebuild

2003 Mastercraft X9 Wakeboard Edition

Last edited by boomboom; 04-14-2010 at 11:17 AM.
boomboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

I've already got dual alternators, so that should save me some loot on the new hose.
I didn't realize that some folks had to pull the hose to change the belt. That stinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4me2 View Post
Mine is also standard threads, when you get the old pump off clean the mating surface real well. The new pump will come with a new O ring, when I did mine i put a small amount of silicone over the O ring when re installing. Also I did the new thermostat and housing, belt, idler pulley, along with new hoses and belt. Just so that I didn't have to go back in after doing the flush and fill with Rotella ELC. Just a tip is to get the upper hose for a dual alternator set up, it goes behind the belt instead of thru it, so if you have a belt problem or other issue youdon't have to pull the hose to work on it. Not wasting the expensive new coolant.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

With picture! Maybe not the pump?

So I ran a dye pack through the coolant system, and so far the only spot I can see a leak is at this junction of the lower radiator hose and the water pump.
There is a gasket there, I wonder if it can be replaced?
I tried to tighten the bolts holding it together, but they didn't seem to move at all.

This next pic is upside down, so the drip looks like it's on top.

So does anybody know if I can swap the gasket, or do I need to buy the whole pump?

Thanks.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
RT

Mine was leaking from there as well - I got the o-ring from RockAuto - when I took the old one off, I noticed the ridge where the gasket seated had a groove eroded in it. I cleaned it up, built the ridge up with silly putty (JB Weld) and put it back together with a new o-ring. Worked like a charm. No leaks for over 10,000 miles.

Oh, and I love your kid's drawing - by the time he's six he'll be a real artist.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dray8165 View Post
Mine was leaking from there as well - I got the o-ring from RockAuto - when I took the old one off, I noticed the ridge where the gasket seated had a groove eroded in it. I cleaned it up, built the ridge up with silly putty (JB Weld) and put it back together with a new o-ring. Worked like a charm. No leaks for over 10,000 miles.

Oh, and I love your kid's drawing - by the time he's six he'll be a real artist.

Now that's funny right there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.