Loss of Power - New Fuel Tank? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loss of Power - New Fuel Tank?

Moderator: If there is a better topic forum for this please move it, thank you.

OK, I have a 2002 F350 PSD with 108000 miles. I'm the original owner.
Last month it developed an intermittent loss of power. It was more likely to happen when the truck was under load (pulling a 5th wheel RV). The best way to explain it was like I had gotten a tankful of bad diesel. I pretty much ran that tank out, filled up, added a can of 'SeaFoam' and changed the fuel filter.

Didn't solve the problem. Since that time I put about 2500 miles on the truck and have had the problem several times since then. I have also replaced the CPS and still not the solution.

Today I took the truck to the dealer. He checked codes and found a 'low fuel pressure' code. He checked the fuel pump, oil pump, etc and all checked OK.

His diagnosis is related to the low-sulphur diesel fuel now in use. He says there are chemicals in that fuel which can attack the lining of the fuel tank causing it to flake off. That debris then clogs the in-tank filters to the fuel pump. The only way to be sure is to drop the tank and look inside. He said he's seen this before in older diesels but this 2002 is the 'newest' one he's seen which looks to have this problem.

If there is debris in the tank he sees 2 options:

1. clean it out the best possible and fix the problem temporarily or
2. replace the fule tank ($1200 for the tank) plus 400 labor. He said the new fuel tanks have a different lining which will not flake off.

So I was looking for any experience anyone may have with this issue. Have you heard about this being a possibility? Any suggestions about other possible causes of the problem.

Thanks.
mdwpm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure you have a plastic fuel tank. The delaminating issue was with the older trucks that had metal tanks. I think the vans had metal tanks as well. Slide under yours and tap on it. If its plastic, your dealer is full of something other than brains.

That doesn't mean you don't have clogged screens in the tank. That happens from the debris that gets pumped in with the fuel. You can do the Hutch mod yourself and save $1500 Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (175)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwpm View Post
Today I took the truck to the dealer. He checked codes and found a 'low fuel pressure' code. He checked the fuel pump, oil pump, etc and all checked OK.
Where the heck did he find a 'low fuel pressure' code on a 2002 Powerstroke? It's real tough, because there isn't a fuel pressure sensor that reports to the PCM.

But what RT is telling you is on the right track as far as the fuel system.

You might get back with the dealer and ask exactly what code he got. Maybe it was a HP oil system code. With that info, we could point you in the direction to go.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks - yep plastic tank. Was told there is a lining in the tank that is eroded by the low sulphur fuel......

Thanks for the link. I should be able to get the tank off and take a look see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
I'm pretty sure you have a plastic fuel tank........You can do the Hutch mod yourself and save $1500 Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page
Old 04-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks to RT anf klhansen.

I finished up the 'Hutch Mod' and all seems to be good. The two mesh filters in the in-tank filter/mixing chamber were completely clogged. Holding the filters up to a bright light I couldn't see anything thru them. No wonder I was experiencing restricted fuel flow symptoms.

Anyway thanks again guys, you're great.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.