Lucas pure synthetic oil stabilizer - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lucas pure synthetic oil stabilizer

Has anyone out there used this product? I thought about using it at my next oil change since the truck is not used during the summer months and only gets started once a month. I don't want to waste my money if this is just snake oil.
bluefine409 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2006, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Lucas pure synthetic oil stabilizer

Snakeoil? You said it, not me.

OKAY, I'll say it - "Snake Oil". [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Chris

2002 F350 CC 4x4 SB Lariat Blue & Silver, General AT2 295/75/16's on 16x8 Panther Rims, KYB Monomax Shocks, Euro Style Tail Lights, billet fuel door, Putco chrome handles, Autometer Z Gauges & Pillar Pod, Billet Grill, Bullbar, JVC KD-AR870 head unit, Sirius, MEI Reference Series 600 Watt amp with 6.5" Alpine DD Drive F17C components front, 6.5" Jensen components in rear, Better Built truck box, auxiliary backup lamps, acetoned badges, blacked out lower weld seams, Dodge auto-dimming rearview mirror, Avital alarm system, heater by-pass mod, in-tank, harpoon and pre-pump mods, 5" SS exhaust tip.

2002 Acura el (only available in Canada)
2002 Fleetwood Wilderness 31G
1988 Campion Allante, 19.5' w/ Merc 5.7 litre
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2006, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Surely someone uses this oil stabilizer or has used it in the past. I know some of the pulling tractors use it.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (38)

I WOULD NOT use it in my truck. I like it for other applications, but it makes the oil foam too much for the HEUI system in the PSD.
http://bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

<font color="blue">On Edit: here is another thread with some discussion in it.</font> Lucas Thread
gregrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

I knew the old oil stabilizer from lucas would foam, but I heard that the new pure synthetic would not. I don't think I want to be the test bed for this, so will postpone using until I know for sure it won't hurt my PSD.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (38)

good point, I just realized you were talking about the synth. I dunno, I know if I was gonna pay money for it, I would just use synth oil, instead of an 'additive'. My PSD LOVES synth oil, starts better, MUCH smoother.
gregrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've been using Lucas stabilizer (most recently the synthetic version) for about 20yrs in all manner of medium and heavy duty diesel engines and have never had foaming issues with either type. Bob's test comes up short as far as real world affects. The main problem is the oil/additive is at room temperature, heating his test stand to 200* would obviously change the results.

The only adverse effect I've had with the non-synthetic stabilizer has to do with viscosity in cold climates. I have not had this issue with the synthetic stabilizer as it is not as thick at low temperatures.

I use straight Valvoline Extreme 5W-40 synthetic oil when I change, then after about 8-10,000mi I use Lucas to top off (usually 1-2qts) and run 4-6,000mi further before changing oil again.

Run it if you want it will not hurt anything.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I'll state this as simply as I can....

If you feel the need to run some sort of addititve or oil "helper", you are obviously not running the right oil.

There isn't an oil additive that ISN'T snake oil in my opinion.

Before someone gets made saying it worked fine for them, I ask, how did it work fine that the oil wouldn't have done just as well by itself? Most oil additives are nothing more than the same additives that the oil has in it. That's the GOOD ONES. The bad ones have things like teflon, chlorine, etc, that will destroy an engine.

There is no governing body of additives like those that make ratings for oil. I could bottle maple syrup as the miracle cure for all that ails in your engine. Unless it caused damage and you could prove it, I worry not about you suing me. They can make any claim they wish and it is up to you as the consumer to prove them false. Most folks don't have that kind kind of time or money to bother with it.

There have been a few that were bad enough for the government to get involved with, and good suits were brought by the FDC against Duralube, Slick 50, and several others for false advertisements as none of there claims could be backed up, tests were falsified, testimonies were paid for, etc. Do a search on the FDC.gov site.

Bob

Proud Sponsor of TheDieselStop.com
GOT DIESEL? call us at 888-414-3457
DIESELSITE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly my point. The advertising in most of these products gets you scared to run straight oil as if it is missing vital protection points, and the consumer figures, "I guess it won't hurt anything to run it" What kind of logic is that?

You have destroyed the oil company's balance of additives, you've put in something in your engine that you have no idea what is in it, and that statement [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] can possible be far from the truth.
Where does this blind faith come from? Because we see it on the side of a top fuel dragster?

Call any oil company, Mobil, Shell, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc. Ask them if you should run any additive in their oil? If these additives were so good, wouldn't you think they'd love for you to run it so their oil could take some credit for the long life you are seeing in your engine? They want nothing to do with someone else's product mixing with theirs.
Bob

Old 03-03-2006, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

If you feel the need to run some sort of addititve or oil "helper", you are obviously not running the right oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like a true Amsoil salesman [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2006, 07:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Most oil additives are nothing more than the same additives that the oil has in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which explains my use of the product, to replenish the additives after running the oil for a while and therefore, with proper filteration, extending drain intervals.

[ QUOTE ]
Where does this blind faith come from? Because we see it on the side of a top fuel dragster?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually after I saw them pour it into a top fuel dragster's crankcase and had a lengthy conversation with the engine builder about the benefits of using it I was interested, and now, after 20+ years of using it and subsequent engine tear down inspections I'm convinced, and will continue to use it.

I don't care if anyone uses it or not, I have nothing to gain by selling it or convincing anyone to or not to use it. Just giving my personal experience.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Spoken like a true Amsoil salesman

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would Amsoil have anything to do with it? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] What if I sold Mobil? Would you say "spoken like a true Mobil dealer?

I asked for a simple task.
Call the company's whose oil your using and ask them? They will all tell you the same thing. Please don't twist this into an Amsoil thing so you can attempt to discount what I'm saying. I don't care if your running Shell Rotella. I'll tell you the same thing. Don't mess with it. If you feel you've run it too long, change it for goodness sake.

I've given my .02. I really don't wish to argue over it. Those that want to learn will do their own homework.

Bob

Old 03-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

The opening post asked if anyone had actually used the product, have you?

If not, then what informamtion do you feel qualified to give pertaining to the use of it?

Have you ever seen first hand evidence of adverse affects from the use of this product?

I was answering the original poster's question as to personal experience of which I have plenty (over 20yrs and 2 million combined miles from various pieces of commercial equipment)
Old 03-03-2006, 08:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like a true Amsoil salesman [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As to the above mentioned quote, your statement would lead most to ask the question "What is the right oil?"

My comment was in response to the obvious answer...sorry for connecting the dots.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
SyN

Thanks BoB for your imput!

Just use one of the Top Selling Diesel oils and U should'nt have any need for the so called snake oils, or modifiers.
4" MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust.
DieselSite By-Pass Coolant Filter/{ELC}&RMI-25
DieselSite By-Pass Transmission Filter/Lg Magnet
Delete Mods-->{Foil & AIH}
203*{T-Stat}w/Billet Housing
SS HPX line-CCV{to atmosphere}-Bilstien Shoxs
Marinco Heater Plug-B&W Companion 5thWheel Hitch-PML differential Covers
-------------------------------------------------------------
Oil------------>T6 w/Amsoil Filter & Lg Magnet
Amsoil--------> Everywhere Else
SyN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.