Manual Locking to Auto Locking Hubs - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Manual Locking to Auto Locking Hubs

as i posted in another thread I just bought a wrecked pickup same as mine 2000 superduty, and it is a Lariet Model and Mine is a XLT it has warn manual locking hubs but it also has the switch on the dash that locks them in electronically, my truck has Stock Manual locking hubs and I would like to add the auto feature, is that possible any hints tips or ideas?

Thanks
2000. Stock F-350 210k miles, white, 4x4, extended cab, Long Bed. 285/75/16 BFG All Terrain T/A, Marinco Block Heater Mod, Tymar Intake. And that's all for now, but looking to get Edge Juice with Attitude

SOLD--96, Stock PSD, Service Body, Nothing really special 200,000+ miles
and...

Sold to Dad... Might buy it back someday I love this truck - 93, 7.3 Non Turbo 300,000+ miles replaced E40D at 287k miles, also just a stock truck, Run about 450+ Gallons of straight WMO, now back on diesel
jchipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchipper View Post
as i posted in another thread I just bought a wrecked pickup same as mine 2000 superduty, and it is a Lariet Model and Mine is a XLT it has warn manual locking hubs but it also has the switch on the dash that locks them in electronically, my truck has Stock Manual locking hubs and I would like to add the auto feature, is that possible any hints tips or ideas?

Thanks
Auto locking hubs are the worst thing ever invented. I just got in an accident two weeks ago bevcause by autolockers did not engage because of air leak on a nice snowy road. Luckily nobody was injured and I should have truck back on wednesday from body shop. Oh my dash light that said my front axle was engaged on but my hubs were not. I would stick with manual locking your hubs from now on. Remember the switch on dash acitvates front axle and if you have autolockers it is supposed to lock them.

If you think you will need 4x4 that day just lock them in the morning or if you live in the snow just lock them all winter or when it starts snowing. There isnt any huge different in gas mileage with locked hubs in 2wd. To me the difference in gas mileage in the winter months isnt worth the safety hazard.

I am buying some warn hubs soon and capping my airlines. Until then I will get out and manualy lock my autolockers.

2003 Excursion 4x4 - 7.3 liter - 80k on WVO
Veggie Oil Conversion - HOH, GFS Diesel Tank, Stock tank modified for veggie with Hotfox, Hydraforce Valves, FPHE, ARC filter wraps & twin FASS/DPP HPFP's. ITP Reg Return/fuel bowl delete, HPX, AIH, 6.0 IC & Tranny Cooler - Dieselsite 203 T-stat & Coolant Filter - CAT ELC - BTS Valve Body - AIS with fender mod - Dome light overide switch - MBRP 4" Turbo Back - Bully Dog 50HP "McClain Veggie Tune" Programmer - Full A pillar Trans,Pyr,Oil Pres,Engine Temp - Overhead Pod Fuel Press, Boost, Volt meter
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Capped my air lines about a year ago. Got tired of chasing leaks. Using the factory lockers. They are working just fine. The F-450, 550's don't have vacuum hubs. They are manual. If they can do it, so can I. If i preceive a problem, I just get out, lock in the hubs, and go. The ESOF on the dash only has to engage the transfer case now.
"White Moose", 2001 F-250,XLT,Auto, Super Cab, 4x4. Early PSD, build date: Aug. 16, 2000, no PMR. AIS, AIH delete, Zoodad, CCV mod. (not any more), BTM, GOS headlite harness upgrade, harpooned fuel tank, B&W gooseneck hitch, Firestone air bags. 6.0 Tranny cooler, pillar mount, with Isspro pyro, boost, and tranny temp. Trailer Towing Mirrors, Bilstein Shocks, 03 Clear Headlights, HP Crossover line, DP Tuner F-5 switch: High Idle, 20 hp. tow, 40 hp. tow, 80 hp. tow, 80 hp. econ. drive thru. 200,000+ miles and still running strong. No mech. diode tranny. Changed to the 2002 model ,before it left the dealership. 25 ft. 24k Horse Creek, flat bed gooseneck.
blueknight7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

My vote is stay with the auto hubs. Check/replace all the seals and vacuum lines. I like the ability while im cruising down the highway in the winter to switch to 4x4 when I need to and not have to get out, lock the hubs, get through the knarly stuff, stop, get out, unlock the hubs, hope its clear the rest of the way, if not, stop, get out, lock the hubs, back in, drive.. You get the idea. I personally dont like having the hubs locked in when the are not needed. Besides the reduction in fuel mileage, it adds unneccissary wear to the front end components. Im talking about longer trips like 300km plus, not just driving around town.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstr View Post
My vote is stay with the auto hubs. Check/replace all the seals and vacuum lines. I like the ability while im cruising down the highway in the winter to switch to 4x4 when I need to and not have to get out, lock the hubs, get through the knarly stuff, stop, get out, unlock the hubs, hope its clear the rest of the way, if not, stop, get out, lock the hubs, back in, drive.. You get the idea. I personally dont like having the hubs locked in when the are not needed. Besides the reduction in fuel mileage, it adds unneccissary wear to the front end components. Im talking about longer trips like 300km plus, not just driving around town.

Exactly my prob!!! so my question is can i use my Stock OEM Manual locking hubs and add the auto locking feature, so i can have both if I want them Locked for sure I can get out and manually lock them in, otherwise just use the auto locking
2000. Stock F-350 210k miles, white, 4x4, extended cab, Long Bed. 285/75/16 BFG All Terrain T/A, Marinco Block Heater Mod, Tymar Intake. And that's all for now, but looking to get Edge Juice with Attitude

SOLD--96, Stock PSD, Service Body, Nothing really special 200,000+ miles
and...

Sold to Dad... Might buy it back someday I love this truck - 93, 7.3 Non Turbo 300,000+ miles replaced E40D at 287k miles, also just a stock truck, Run about 450+ Gallons of straight WMO, now back on diesel
jchipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

you know dont get me wrong im not trying to be a jerk but auto locking hubs are pretty cool in theory but in functionality.... haha they are crap. I had a 84 k5 blazer with "auto locking hubs" and then a 97 f250 cc dually shortly after with them as well and well lets say both vehicles were switched to waren hubs. They only lock when they want to sometimes only one locks and then it wont unlock. I spent countless hours removing and cleaning and repacking and re sealing my auto lockers and recently i have been helping a friend with his 2006 f250 fixing his auto hubs and finally talked him into switching them to waren manual hubs. And well not trying to be a jerk but if your gonna make a fuss about getting in and out of the truck to lock and unlock them well then buy a good set of tire chains and leave them on. If you want practicality and function then leave the manual hubs alone but if you want to be able to say i have auto locking hubs and then spend your time figuring out why they wont lock then go right ahead. IMO id rather spend a few seconds jumping in and out of the truck to lock them then a few hours trying to figure out why they didnt lock and wondering when the body shop is gonna be done with the truck. just my 2cents.
-Banks Intake, Jones muffler, Dummy Cat
My Sunday Cruiser
72 Chevelle Malibu, white w/blue interior, rally rims, bench seat, ac, 3 1/2in exhaust, 3000 stall converter, bullet proof turbo 400, 3.55 gears w/ eaton limited slip locker, 496 bb 745hp 931lbtq to the rear wheels. My sandbaggin grocery getter.
Wifes Sunday cruiser
43 chevy convertible,glacier blue, white leather interior, 235 straight six, 3 on the tree, 2 in straight exhaust, and more chrome than a peterbuilt.
IGoneGreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

The auto locking hubs are a great idea, if they work. If only one engages, or, only one disengages, you aren't going to know that, unless you check. Yeah, I have had both happen. How do you know, unless you get out and check, or you are servicing your truck, and you can't turn the axle to hit the upper ball joint zerk?

Its real interesting too, when you hit the ESOF, expecting to get 4 wd., and you have three wheel drive, or you are still in 2 wd. I don't care if you are driving down a slick, snowy, icy road. When you hit the switch, you should get what you called for.

Its the same when disengaging it. When you turn it back to 2 wd., is what you should get. If not, you may get partial disengagement, and now we are grinding one side, or the other into powder.

This whole wonderful system is based on a vacuum hublock solenoid, an air tank, and bunch of vacuum lines, coming down from the vacuum tank, to both front axles, that are controlled by a very expensive seal, in the back of the hub, and its a pain to work with, or replace, and a large 50 cent yellow o-ring.

Any one of these components fails, half or all of your wonderful, never have to get out of your truck, system fails. To be exactly right on it, you have to get out anyway, and check it. So, what is the difference in getting out to shift the hubs in, or out. Unless you have the money to throw at the system.

I have lived with 4x4 vehicles, since the late 60's. With all the the wonderful systems that automaticly shift the hubs, in an out, I have never seen one that is even close to foolproof. You still have to get out, and check. Or, you are wearing, grinding your hubs to pieces. Its entirely your call. I am sure, when I turn my hubs in. I am also sure, when I unlock my hubs.

Parts are way too expensive for me to wear them out, because I am unable to get out of my truck. As I said, in my first post in this thread, the F-450, 550 do not have self-locking hubs. I wonder why that is? Cause those are really work trucks! Are our trucks any different? I don't think so.

Also, why did Ford put manual locking hubs on our trucks, in the first place? Ford, the company that wanted to save 4 cents per transmission with the wonderful mechanical diode one way clutch. We all know how that one turned out.

Sorry for the rant, but, when the system doesn't work, you may be the second person to find out for sure, when you take it into the dealership, and they give you a $1500 repair bill because of the strange grinding noise in the front end.
"White Moose", 2001 F-250,XLT,Auto, Super Cab, 4x4. Early PSD, build date: Aug. 16, 2000, no PMR. AIS, AIH delete, Zoodad, CCV mod. (not any more), BTM, GOS headlite harness upgrade, harpooned fuel tank, B&W gooseneck hitch, Firestone air bags. 6.0 Tranny cooler, pillar mount, with Isspro pyro, boost, and tranny temp. Trailer Towing Mirrors, Bilstein Shocks, 03 Clear Headlights, HP Crossover line, DP Tuner F-5 switch: High Idle, 20 hp. tow, 40 hp. tow, 80 hp. tow, 80 hp. econ. drive thru. 200,000+ miles and still running strong. No mech. diode tranny. Changed to the 2002 model ,before it left the dealership. 25 ft. 24k Horse Creek, flat bed gooseneck.
blueknight7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have never heard of anyone wanting to switch from manual to auto hubs. Probably a reason for that.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have to agree that for anyone who does any kind of serious offroading, Manual hubs is the only way to go. Guys like me that are mosltly on hiway, little offroading in the summer, and have to deal with winter conditions, auto is the best choice. It is a perfectly operating system if it is taken care of. People complain about them because they dont maintain them. Thats like your rear end blowing up cause you dont change the oil, then complain how weak the rear ends are. ALL mechanical devices require maintenance, its just that simple. Most just choose to change thier oil and call it good, then complain when something else doesnt function as it should. Check under your hood on the passenger side fender for the ESOF solenoid, there will be a vacuum line from the canister to it, you may need to swap it and all vacuum lines from donor truck, but the wiring will be there.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoneGreen View Post
. And well not trying to be a jerk but if your gonna make a fuss about getting in and out of the truck to lock and unlock them well then buy a good set of tire chains and leave them on..

LOL have you ever driven on a highway at 50 mph with chains on?? Thats even worse than having to get out and lock the hubs. I drive the coquihalla highway a lot, it is a mountain area about 300 miles long, and 4x4 is nice for sections of the hiway, I would NEVER put chains on, thats even more labor intensive than locking the hubs. My point is, there are times where you only need 4x4 for a short distance, multiple times (I switch to 4x4 over a dozen times on the drive, if I had to get out and lock and unlock the hubs everytime I would shoot myself) and having to lock and unlock is a pain in the ass. This particular highway will go from bare, to compact slush, to icy, to bare, to snow, to ice etc, My personal preference is auto. This thread was started to help this guy put them in his truck, not argue over wich is better.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yes i have driven with snow chains on at 50 + and to make it even better i had em on all four tires. It wasn't a solution it was more of a exaggeration on the subject. Like stated above and from my experiences i have never heard someone going from manual to auto hubs. And like chipper said any hints tips or ideas on the matter. Im just giving my tip and if he does do it i wish him the best.
IGoneGreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I have ESOF hubs on my Excursion and manuals on my F-350. I like the ESOF.
'03 Excursion, 7.3L, 4X4, Auto tranny of course (they all did), 4" MBRP exhaust, TS performance chip, K&N FIPK w/ an Amsoil EA filter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, drilled/slotted front & rear rotors. Rancho XL shocks, Rancho steering damper, Airlift 5000, S&S Diversified headlight mod. This baby surprises a lot of, so called, performance cars.
'04 F 350, extended cab, 6.0L, FX4, manual tranny, 4" MBRP exhaust, Bully Dog Triple Dog downloader w/ Outlook moniter (Very disappointed in the Bully Dog), 2m-70cm Yaesu ft-8500, S&S Diversified headlight mod.

'96 Mustang Cobra convertible, B&M short throw shifter, Koni adjustable shocks, viper chip, drilled/slotted rotors front and rear, rear sequential turn signals.

'11 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic 103 ci PowerPak w/ anti lock brakes & Smart Security system. It even has cruise control!!! Candy Dark Root Beer over Candy Light Root Beer Yaesu FTM-10R & a Comet CSB 770A
Matt0987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

180k on my truck, auto lockers still work flawlessly. Have had a set of manual hubs sitting around just in case, but as long as the auto's stay functional, they stay on the truck.

FJ40 468bbc
Gravel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

If you guys go back on this forum and research failed manual hubs, its going to be a long search BUT it will take a page maybe two to find someone with an auto hub/transfer case issue.
Tobin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

FYI... I have to replace my manual hubs on my F350. See my sig for the truck's particulars. Only 80k miles on them. I will do them with the brake pads next weekend. I do just leave them locked during the winter. I guess that makes them autos :-). I just leave them locked and put the transfer case into or out of 4X4 when I need it.

I am going with the Warn Premiums. I hope they will be the last I have to buy. I will see.

My Excursion is just short of 100k miles and the autos are still working strong.
'03 Excursion, 7.3L, 4X4, Auto tranny of course (they all did), 4" MBRP exhaust, TS performance chip, K&N FIPK w/ an Amsoil EA filter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, drilled/slotted front & rear rotors. Rancho XL shocks, Rancho steering damper, Airlift 5000, S&S Diversified headlight mod. This baby surprises a lot of, so called, performance cars.
'04 F 350, extended cab, 6.0L, FX4, manual tranny, 4" MBRP exhaust, Bully Dog Triple Dog downloader w/ Outlook moniter (Very disappointed in the Bully Dog), 2m-70cm Yaesu ft-8500, S&S Diversified headlight mod.

'96 Mustang Cobra convertible, B&M short throw shifter, Koni adjustable shocks, viper chip, drilled/slotted rotors front and rear, rear sequential turn signals.

'11 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic 103 ci PowerPak w/ anti lock brakes & Smart Security system. It even has cruise control!!! Candy Dark Root Beer over Candy Light Root Beer Yaesu FTM-10R & a Comet CSB 770A
Matt0987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.