Mix in Rotella synthetic 5W-40 with dino 15W-40? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mix in Rotella synthetic 5W-40 with dino 15W-40?

Last night I picked up oil at Wal-Mart since I'm due for a change this week and I noticed that they just started carrying Rotella full synthetic 5W-40 at $22.00 a gallon. I can't justify doubling the price of my oil changes (Rotella dino 15W-40 is $11.00), but I thought what the hell and bought 1 gallon of the 5W-40. I thought maybe mixing in a gallon might lessen the morning romping that I'll be getting any day now that the temps are heading for the low 20s around here. It just popped into my head though that there might be a reason NOT to mix the two? Anybody want to comment? I'm probably just being over cautious but it never hurts to ask.
Optima Red Tops
vegistroker73L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
If you mean pour in 4 quarts of synthetic along with 11 quarts of dino when you change the oil, it won't hurt a thing. It probably won't help much either, but it shouldn't hurt anything. You'd wind up with a DIY blend.

Any time you change oil, you're going to change only 15 quarts of the total 16 quarts in the system. There's about a quart in the high pressure oil reservoir and oil passages in the engine that won't drain. So when you get done, you'll have one quart of old oil, 4 quarts of 5w40 syn, and 11 quarts of dino 15w40. That should work fine as long as you're not expecting the wintertime starting ease of all 5w40 syn.

But the next oil change I'd send in an oil sample to Blackstone for analysis. Tell they your blend of oil, and ask what the results are, good or bad, of using that blend. I'll bet they say the blend was fine and dandy.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

There's no shortcuts or advantages to mixing like you did. If you can't justify the increased price, then you'll have to put up with your romps and harder cold starts.

The price difference between using 15 quarts of the 5W-40 compared to the 15W-40 is $41.25. Subtracting what you'd pay for the 15W-40 anyway, you've already got $11.00 more into the 5W-40, leaving you to come up with $30.25 more for the rest of the 5W-40. Don't forget you could probably run the 5W-40 syn a little longer.
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
There's no shortcuts or advantages to mixing like you did. If you can't justify the increased price, then you'll have to put up with your romps and harder cold starts.

The price difference between using 15 quarts of the 5W-40 compared to the 15W-40 is $41.25. Subtracting what you'd pay for the 15W-40 anyway, you've already got $11.00 more into the 5W-40, leaving you to come up with $30.25 more for the rest of the 5W-40. Don't forget you could probably run the 5W-40 syn a little longer.
Eh...it was just a thought, looks like its back to 15W-40.
Optima Red Tops
vegistroker73L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

If you're going to run the 15W-40, you could always put a small stick-on pad heater on the bottom of your oil pan (I use the Pro Heat #512). That will cure your cold weather romps. Also consider a diesel rated 10W- dino oil...they will usually have better cold weather viscosity properties than the 15W- at the same low price.
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
My first oil change at 1000 miles was with 4 qts. of syn Rotella, 10 qts. of dino Rotello. At the 3000 mile change it was 8 qts syn Rotella, the rest dino Rottello. At 5000 miles it was all syn Rotello and it's been that way since.

The syn will help it start on cold mornings - at least that's what I've been told. I have no personal experience with it in my PSD since I highly doubt there's many here who consider temps in the 30-40s "cold".
Old 07-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

I ran a 50/50 mixture of shell rottella dino and shell rotella sythetic for 7500 miles in a 2005 ford 6.0 No problems, leaks or burning. I then had the oil changed at 150,000 miles at a local shop before last winter. They put in kendell dino. A good oil but with the extra cold winter last year the engine cranked to slow. I drained the oil at 1500 miles and put the 50/50 rotella mix back in. The engine cranked like a full synthetic was installed. I have 6000 miles on it presently. I plan on continuing with this mixture. On another site A shell lube engineer stated that these two oils are completly compatible. He gave his name and phone number to boot. He said that a 50/50 mix of 5w40 sythetic and 15w 40 dino will give you a semi blend of 5w40.
james j neiweem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Hi, James, and WELCOME! to TheDieselstop. You went way back to 2008 to find a thread you wanted to discuss. I'm glad you're doing your homework before you begin posting.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by james j neiweem View Post
I ran a 50/50 mixture of shell rottella dino and shell rotella sythetic for 7500 miles in a 2005 ford 6.0 No problems, leaks or burning. I then had the oil changed at 150,000 miles at a local shop before last winter. They put in kendell dino. A good oil but with the extra cold winter last year the engine cranked to slow. I drained the oil at 1500 miles and put the 50/50 rotella mix back in. The engine cranked like a full synthetic was installed. I have 6000 miles on it presently. I plan on continuing with this mixture. On another site A shell lube engineer stated that these two oils are completly compatible. He gave his name and phone number to boot. He said that a 50/50 mix of 5w40 sythetic and 15w 40 dino will give you a semi blend of 5w40.
I would say it's more like 10w40...
2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, Fully gaged, Cold air intake mods beyond zoodad, Stacked tuners, 4" Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 295/75/16 BFG ATs on 8" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, otherwise mostly stock.
24' 5th wheel camping trailer, no RV parks...just the woods.
69mach1377 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.