More problems with 6 speed, 5 gear popping out - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
More problems with 6 speed, 5 gear popping out

My last 6 spd made it 180,000 miles before she went. I knew it was going to eventualy go because the pilot bearing went out and I didn't fix it soon enough. So I just put a new reman transmission in it and have about 6000 miles on it and it is trying to pop it self out of 5th gear. When I put the new tranny back in I also put a new clutch and and pilot bearing in. It doesnt sound like the pilot bearing has gone out because it doesn't make any noise when I am first taking off plus it was a brand new one. Is it just a bad reman or could it be something else causing it. Thanks for any info.
mflores is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
Re: More problems with 6 speed, 5 gear popping out

The warranty on your reman should be more than 6000 miles. I'd be talking to the folks you got the tranny from about making it good.

Then again, your pilot bearing may be lunched again. Did you put in the stock roller type or an aftermarket such as a kevlar bushing?
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

It was an aftermarket bushing. The tranny has a 1 year unlimited miles warranty, so it is still covered. I was just wanting to see what everyone else thought on the issue.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

5th gear coming out is a pilot brg thing. In this "gear" there is no gear involved, just the coupling between the input shaft and tailshaft. When the input shaft is crooked (supported on the front by the pilot brg) it walks the sleeve out of the synchro and spits out the fork. In no uncertain terms, it is warrantable IF you bought the pilot from the gearbox vendor. If they were separately sourced, you can see the gearbox vendor's point - why should they warrant a $2k part for the sake of someone else's $10 part failure?

Of course, the other thing (you will hope) is that the pilot is fine, and the last failure of the gearbox was not properly repaired. Was it a genuine ZF reman or done by another shop? I hate to cast doubts, but a fair number of "reman" trannies are simply junkyard parts that are carefully washed and shipped. Of course, that is NOT the case for ZF!
2000 F450 Lariat 4x4 tractor, rebuild at 200k in '12, Air Dog, Reg Mod, HX & HP all in hard SS lines, bypass filter, Banks Power Elbow w/3.5 dp, no intake heat, CCV mod, AIS (w/extra hole), some big Alliant single shots, GP indicator LED, custom 4" exhaust, 4" USG exhaust brake, custom alum. rear diff cover extension (dipstick & temp), Detroit locker, ESPAR D5 aux. heat, custom alum tow deck and fuel tanks, Bushwacker 1 1/2" flares, 9k winch, gin poles, JWSpeaker 8900 LED headlamps in XL grille, Lightforce 240GT (still Halogen, but VERY bright), Hella Micro DE HID fogs, KW = vision plus (Isspro) instruments, more to come & lots of other diesels
Pat Dolan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

That is what I heard about the fifth gear being a direct drive gear. I dont think the pilot bushing went this time because it isn't making any noise. Anytime I have ever had a pilot bearing go, you could easily hear it rattle when it is under a load or first taking off but nothing this time. So I dont think it is that. I didn't go with a zf reman I went with a local shop and now I am wondering if I should have. I called the guy I got it from and he told me to run it longer and see if it does it again. When it is cold it seems fine. Once the tranny warms, if you hold your hand on the shifter in 5th gear and let off the throttle you can feel it put slight pressure against your hand but it hasn't pop out of gear again. Yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.