MPG drop by 1/3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MPG drop by 1/3

hello new to this great site...I have owed 2002 diesel excursion limited since new. Love this truck, retired last year and hadit painted put in chip k/n air intake 4"exhaust leveling kit looked ran great......... On the way home from hunting noticed sudden drop in mpg from 18 to 12 ish!!!!! truck ran well same power everything ....... checked for leaks reset back to stock(mpg fell accordingly..2to3mpg more).... reinstalled mileage program (after updating)same mpg........ I'm lost HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
perfectwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Boost is your biggest culprit behind mileage loss. One would think you would have noticed the power change. It could also be that the truck isn't getting proper feedback - from boost (MAP sensor) or one of the other monitored parameters. A blocked EBP tube / clogged sensor has been reported to cause lower than normal MPG. A faulty ICP sensor or EOT sensor could also affect mileage.

Are you checking MPG manually or with a scanner? Do you have access to AutoEnginuity or some other scanner to monitor PIDs?
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks for reply RT...the mileage was done manually;however the hunting trip is 15 hrs. oneway,through country about the same as kentuky or tennesse on I 75 quite hilly!!! Have religeously used injector cleaner,oil changes ect... pids????
Old 12-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
RT

Parameter ID's - OBD-II PIDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, monitoring individual sensors through the PCM feed. You could set up a scanner (such as ScanGauge II) to monitor ICP sensor data or MAP sensor data or EOT sensor data using appropriate PID's - here's a link to the one's for ScanGauge - Ford Specific XGauges : Linear Logic : Home of the ScanGauge

AutoEnginuity is a great tool to have when doing diagnostics. It will let you monitor multiple parameters over time to see what's going on (or at least what is being reported) as you drive.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via ICQ to 96Cobra
Have you checked to make sure you don't have a fuel leak?
2002 F350 XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, Auto, AIC, DiabloSport Predator, BD X-Monitor, Kenwood TM-V7A, Pioneer 7400MP3, Infinity 5.25" Components, Infinity 10" Sub in a Q-Logic Box, Heated Mirrors, Gentex/Mito Auto Dimming Mirror, Rear ID Bar, Uniden PC78 Elite CB, Clifford Matrix RS3 Alarm/Remote Start, Keypad Entry, Homemade "Tymar", custom, muffler back exhaust, 6 Whelen LED's in rear window, 6 Whelen Strobes in the Front, Rears still not installed...
96Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

yes have had up on hoist multiple times looking for fuel leak!! (asphalt driveway would show quickly) How much are these monitors??? Don't want to take 10 yr old truck to dealer!!!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
RT

AutoEnginuity with the Ford Enhancement is $359. You run that off your laptop. It is the ultimate diagnostic tool. ScanGauge II is about $160. You can monitor four things at once, but can't initiate any tests. I use it predominantly for economy feedback - I keep one on instant MPG and one on trip MPG. The other two I usually watch ICP sensor data and voltage. I change them around depending on my mood. AE would be the better choice for diagnostics.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Check your front hubs are not locked in. I loose about 2-3 mpg with front end locked. I also loose 2-3 mpg with winter blend fuel. May want to check all calipers and make sure you don't have one frozen up and dragging. Unless you have fixed your fuel tank, you may not be getting a full tank each time. Some have cut the vent tube off inside the tank which allows you to fill up quicker without the foam issues. I can get 5 more gallons in my tank without standing there to 5 more minutes to get a full tank.

FOKISD (Ford, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Super Duty Club), Charter Member.

2001 F-350, PSD, 4X4, True Blue, 152 WB, SRW, Auto Trans, Manual Hubs, PMT3, Off Road Package, AIC, Heated Excursion Tow Mirrors w/cut off switch, Extang Tonneau Cover, Westin Step Bars, Lund Bug Shield, Nifty floor mats, Custom rear bumper/w fog reverse lights & 3rd brake light, LED running lights below doors, Poron USA reverse backup sensors.

"It's mine,ALLLLL mine, (Till Andrea wants to drive it)"
PSDForever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks PSD trucks going in monday to change fuel filter and make sure hubs are free and front axels are disengaging!!!! Had the right side not disengaging about five years ago ... wore out the tire... going to keep fingers crossed!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.