Mudding - No Start 2 days after - Pics - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation SOLVED: Mudding - No Start 2 days after - Pics

Truck ran fine while mudding Saturday evening during a buddies bachelor party out at Hidden Falls Adventure Park near Marble Falls, TX. It also ran all day Sunday (though it seemed sluggish when starting) but this morning it wouldn't start at all, no click, no starter, nothing. Both Optima batteries are at 12.5 volts (which seems a bit low) and I popped a charger on them (even bumped up to 30A for starting for a few minutes) but no change in the no-start symptom. Then charged one for a couple hours at 20A and still no change. Interior accessories are on and working.

I should add the it appears that mud is throughout the engine compartment. Interior fuses look fine, going to check the engine compartment ones now. Any other ideas on where I should also look? CPS? Beat the heck out of the starter? Any electrical connections I could wiggle or dry out? Obviously I'm going to clean the air filter and replace the rear fluids as the rear axle vent hose popped off during our runs through this mud pit. Appreciate any insight, direction, or advice y'all might have.

It sure was fun while it lasted though! That mud was nothing for the 7.3 and used Hummer tires to handle and got a kick out of a few other trucks that struggled through the mud. Bachelor buddy Travis even ran through it in 2 wheel drive (the pic coming towards us) and commented how easy it was for the old rig just after he pulled a donut and roosted us all with mud clumps. I lost power steering near the end temporarily but just figured the belt got muddy and was slipping and it came back a few minutes later. Saw lots of 4 wheel vehicles and rock crawlers out there. Fun place and my first time out there but will return to ride the dirt bike trails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110514_Travis Bachelor Party_00044862.jpeg
Views:	6906
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	11100   Click image for larger version

Name:	20110514_Travis Bachelor Party_00045179b.jpg
Views:	80824
Size:	476.2 KB
ID:	11105   Click image for larger version

Name:	20110516_Truck_00045453.jpeg
Views:	1381
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	11108   Click image for larger version

Name:	20110516_Truck_00045456.jpeg
Views:	746
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	11109   Click image for larger version

Name:	20110516_Truck_00045450b.jpg
Views:	28169
Size:	492.6 KB
ID:	11110  

99.5 F350SD PSD NVK3 C/C SRW SB 4x4 Off-Road Lariat Black BTS Transmission 3.73LS ABS PPIII Airaid ZooDad 6" SkyJacker Lift (all springs) 2.5" Sway Away Race Runner Shocks w/Rem Res (12"F/14"R) ORU Dual Shock Mounts (black) Military Goodyear Wrangler MT 37x12.5.16.5 on 16.5x9.75 A/E 589s DuraLiner Bazookas Optima Red Tops Apple iPhone

Last edited by Chewbacca; 05-16-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 03:52 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Yep, it's gonna need a bath.

Check the starter relay on the passenger side fender. Pull off the small wire and check to see if there's voltage on that wire when you turn the key to start. If so, try jumpering across the two large terminals on the relay. If the starter doesn't crank over then, you're looking at a bad starter. Maybe it's full of mud and can't move.

If you don't get 12V on the small wire, then you've got something wrong upstream of there, possibly the neutral safety switch on the tranny or the ignition switch. Maybe mud got in the neutral safety switch.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Klhansen,

As always, thanks for the sage advice! Went back out to the truck and before I looked at the starter relay I checked the battery cables, one was a bit loose so tightened and no change in the symptom. Decided to give that starter another couple taps with the hammer and that must have done the trick because it started right up and then I restarted it another dozen times without hesitation. Thanks again!

99.5 F350SD PSD NVK3 C/C SRW SB 4x4 Off-Road Lariat Black BTS Transmission 3.73LS ABS PPIII Airaid ZooDad 6" SkyJacker Lift (all springs) 2.5" Sway Away Race Runner Shocks w/Rem Res (12"F/14"R) ORU Dual Shock Mounts (black) Military Goodyear Wrangler MT 37x12.5.16.5 on 16.5x9.75 A/E 589s DuraLiner Bazookas Optima Red Tops Apple iPhone

Last edited by Chewbacca; 05-16-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.