The Diesel Stop banner

NEED HELP NOW 2002 7.3L

2K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  02_7.3 
#1 ·
I removed the turbo on my truck to fix a turbo pedestal leak. After reinstalling it had a exhaust leak, so I took it off and lined it up correctly. Now, one of my up pipes was loose somewhat but I did not think it would effect it. The truck has smoke under the hood, and will not go over 2,000 rpms in drive, but will rev in park. Also, is the turbo suppost to be SUPER hot just after going around the block? I realize that my uppipe might be a problem but I am not sure, I would like some help fast.

#2 · (Edited)
(What I meant about the turbo being hot, when I touched it after going around the block my hand sizzled, is it normal to be this hot?) Well I started taking the the truck apart, didn't get the turbo off yet, I am done for today. is it possible to tighten the up pipe back up and just go with it? or if they get bent at the flange are they bad? Any tips

( I fixed the problem with not going over 2,000rpms. I left the map sensor unplugged, silly me.

#3 ·
The turbo has exhaust gasses flowing through it. At idle it will be about 300 degrees F. Running around the block could have warmed it up to 600-900 degrees. That cast iron retains heat really well. Surprised your hand isn't medium well to well done. Did you stick with the stock up pipes? Is it leaking at the donut?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
I have not played with the up pipes at all, they are stock, when I was adjusting the turbo, I loosed the exhaust manifold to up pipe bolts and somehow I managed to make the top of the up pipe on the passenger side come loose, at the time I did not think it was a big deal as it didn't move when the turbo was bolted down, but I am angry at myself because its leaking, my question is does the up pipe bolt at the top where the two meet just like a band clamp or something? As I said before I haven't removed the turbo yet as I am done working on my truck for today and will try and work on it tomorrow if possible.

(I see now, yes it is leaking at the top donut I think.)

#5 ·
If it is leaking at the donut, you'll likely have to replace them. Small block Chevy exhaust donuts fit and are just a bit bigger so they seal better. Getting bellowed up pipes would be a permanent fix.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: ArcticDriver
#6 ·
Yea the donut was loose infact both were when I looked more closely, I was able to move it back and forth and lift up one side, so I got 2 of the napa 8194 gasket. I was able to loosen the passenger side up pipe and just pull the y pipe loose, then took the bolts out in a vise. So reading on here, I assume that the easiest way to reinstall them is with an extra long extension from underneath the truck. Do you have any tips for tightening them this way? I don't think I need to move anything out of the way underneath to reach do I?

One more question, even if the donuts have just the slightest of play, can they cause a lot of smoke to accumulate under the hood? Like I stated before, there was a lot of smoke under the hood and this is the only thing I came up with after driving it around the block.

#7 ·
Yes, leaking up pipes put a lot of heat into the engine compartment. When you tighten them, go slow and go back and forth to tighten equally.

#8 ·
Okay I got one of the bolts on the drivers side tight, but the other is at an odd angle, hopefully i'll get it.
Is it possible to remove the stock down pipe by just unbolting the lower flange on the exhaust? if I have to cut it I can weld it back together but I really don't want to cut it. Does anyone have any tips for getting the bolts tight on the passenger side I am trying from below but it is tight with the down pipe in there. I have an air ratchet I am wondering how hard it would be to try and do it from above on the passenger side. I don't think i'll be getting my truck back till this weekend at the rate I am working on it between work, etc. this is such a pain, kind of wish I didn't decide to fix my leaks.

#9 ·
It's much easier with the downpipe out of the way (and even easier with the transmission out) but it is doable with the pipe there. You just have to be creative with extensions and swivels.

#10 ·
I replaced the up pipe donuts but it still gets smoke, could it be burning off brake cleaner or something, the turbo is smoking and after going around the block the turbo sounds hot when I get on it and let off. Is something wrong with the turbo or not?

#11 · (Edited)
smoke smells burnt

Truck has plenty of power I don't know what to do anymore really.

I am affraid to drive and don't want to burn up the turbo.

#12 ·
Here is some video, smoke is kinda hard to see.

you can hear the heat from the turbo aswell.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Anyone?

I heard somewhere else that if the pedestal was torqued to tight it could restrict oil flow?

#15 ·
I see oil burning off the surface of your turbo - that would be expected if you had greasy hands while working on it. You're not going to see anything from oil flow restriction until your bearing seizes. What kind of boost are you seeing when you drive it? Are you seeing any oil leaks?

#16 ·
I do not have a boost gauge but it has plenty of power, I drove it a few blocks and it ran good, just the smoke is worrying me, wonder if its gonna take a while to burn off all the brake cleaner and crap on the pedestal.

#17 ·
I took it for a long drive, turns out it does not have as much power as I thought. So I must of not got the donuts tight enough on the up pipes. :icon_mad: There wasn't as much smoke, but still a little. if it is the up pipes causing the smoke, why would the smoke be white, shouldn't it be soot?

Anyways at least I know the turbo is okay and is not dead or anything and I can still drive it if I seriously have to till I fix it, just gotta watch my EGTS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.