Need to Replace Water Pump - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need to Replace Water Pump

Jut noticed that it's beginning to leak. I guess I should not complain at 130,000 miles. Just a slight trickle down the lower hose. How long do I have? Not that I want to procrastinate, but I'll be gone for two weeks (it's my wife's truck).

How bad of a job is it? Is it pretty obvious what needs to be done, or do I need to read the service manual? Any tricks?

Can I get a waterpump from NAPA, Advance Auto, etc. or should I go to Ford?

Thanks!
Mark Hodowanec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2007, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Need to Replace Water Pump

i would not drive it. Its not to bad i paid a guy 100 buck to do the job so it was easy for me. but i have done them before and their not bad.. i got 60k out of mine. Becarefull when u buy a new one i got one from napa and looked inside it was so rough with shavings ready to chip off..

Gone but not forgoten
94 IDI F-350 (Red necked out)

Famous Quote Homer Simpson, "You don't quit your job, you go there every day and do it halfass, Because that is the American Way."
Dstang97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just replaced mine 2 nights ago. I would definitely fix it immediately.

Cost of water pump:
NAPA - $185
Advanced Auto - $198
AutoZone - $149.99 Lifetime warranty
Ford - Probably way more than any listed above.

It would be a good time to replace the serpentine belt as well.

Here is the procedure that I used:

1. drain antifreeze using the petcock on the drivers side of the radiator. It will dispense ~ 3 gallons, so have a big enough container to catch it.

2. Remove the antifreeze canister on top of the radiator (there are 3 bolts. One is located under the tire iron.)
3. Remove the old serpentine belt. (1/2" drive on the tensioner, turn counter clockwise)
4. Remove upper radiator hose
5. Remove Powerstroke Diesel plastic guard to give you more room.
6. Remove the heater hose on the top of the water pump.
7. Remove temperature sensor from the water pump.
8. Remove lower radiator hose from the water pump. This is easier to remove if you unbolt the 90 degree tube from the water pump.
9. The fan clutch is threaded to the water pump and is a right hand thread. To remove, I used an old serpentine belt that I cut in half. You have to wrap the serp. belt around the water pump pulley tightly (~ 3 wraps clockwise) and tie it off to the alternator bracket. This will give you enough resistance to remove the fan clutch assembly. I used a pipe wrench on the fan clutch nut.
10. Once the fan clutch assembly is loose and removed, you have to take the 2 bolts holding the fan shroud in place out and remove the fan clutch assembly and the shroud at the same time by pulling them to the top side of the engine compartment.
11. Now that you have some room to work, loosen all of the water pump bolts (10mm). I believe there are 9 of them. Also remove the 4 bolts holding the water pump pully
12. Remove water pump and take to a vise.
13. In the vise you will have to hold the water pump stationary and remove the heater hose assembly on the top of the water pump (I used a crescent wrench) and the temperature sensor.
14. Put the heater hose assembly in the new water pump with the small o-ring supplied with the new water pump.
15. Remove the upper radiator hose and remove the thermostat.
16. Install the thermostat in the new water pump using the new gasket supplied.
17. Install the upper radiator hose.
18. Install the temperature sensor in the new water pump (use some teflon tape or liquid teflon when installing).
19. Put the new gasket in the water pump.
20. Install the new water pump and install the water pump pulley.
21. Install the new 90 degree elbow with the new o-ring after you have attached it to the lower radiator hose.
22. You will have the use the old serpentine belt again to install the fan clutch. Remember the fan clutch assembly and the fan shroud must be put back into the truck together. Always good to have a buddy help hold on or the other.
23. Make all of the connections (upper radiator hose, heater hose, temperature sensor,etc)
24. Install the new serpentine belt.
25. Install the antifreeze resorvoir.
26. Fill the resorvoir with antifreeze (50/50 mix). This will take about 3 gallons.
27. Start truck and look for leaks
28. allow truck to run for about 20 min or so to get warm enough to open the thermostat.
29. add fluid as necessary.
30. install the Powerstroke Diesel plastic cover and you are ready to roll.

Tools required:
1/2" drive ratchet
8mm socket
10mm socket
12mm socket (powerstroke diesel plastic cover)
Pipe wrench
Crescent wrench
any old serpentine belt that can be cut.
Screwdrivers to help remove the hoses.
Channel locks to remove hose clamps.

Hope this helps. Took me about 6 hours to do but the biggest issue was removing the fan clutch assembly. Once I figured out how to remove it, the job only took about 1 hour to remove water pump and re-assemble.

Good luck
rudy84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)

WoW Rudy84 excellent write up. This one should be considered for the Feature Articles section. WEll DONE!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2007, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just replaced mine this afternoon. I bought a new one at Oriellys for $150. Rented the tool to hold the fan pulley while loosening the fan nut. Also had to borrow a wrench to take that nut off as I don't have a 1 7/8" wrench.
It only took three hours from start to finish taking my time. It was a pretty simple job.
Next week I'm going to try to replace the u-joints in the rear drive shaft to cure a 55mph vibration. Then comes the ball joints.

good luck,
Scott
Old 03-03-2007, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] w/ all the right tools i have to do it i can do it in around 45 minutes. a walk in the park. make sure the o-ring gskt. does'nt dropout at the bottom on assembly. don't get the small harness clip hung in between the pump & cover the holds the cmp sensor pigtail in place. don't use any silocone or any sealer at all on the o-ring. just simply press it in the groove till all the little side ears are lined up w/ the base of the groove.set it up in place & start the upper bolts first & lightly snug them. oh! i love those special tools especially the air tools. makes it so fast. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.