The Diesel Stop banner

Need some advice on '99-'00 F250/F350 purchase

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Krel 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking at buying an F-250 or F-350 and I've narrowed it down to the 99-00 years. I want a 7.3, and from what I've learned in my research it sounds like the 99-03 years are what I want, with the 01+ being less desirable due to the rod material not being as durable.

I've read that there are some differences between the early 99s and the later ones from that year, and I'm trying to understand how much of an impact that would/should have on my decision. I've got a line on an early 99,manufactured in 2/98, low miles, in great shape. Should I keep looking?

For now I don't expect I'd be modifying it much, it's more to preserve the ability to do so later if I choose, and I'd rather not have to bridge the gap between the 99 and the 99.5 if it's a big deal towards future upgrades.

Edit to add - if I understand things correctly, there's basically no difference between the 250 and 350, just taller blocks on the rear axle?

Second edit - should I stick with the 99-00 range, or also consider the 01-03 years? Any modding I might do will definitely not include adding a ton of power.

#2 ·
I have an early 99 and bought it used with 44k on it. I would look for any oil leaks and pay attention to how the tranny shifts. I replaced my first tranny one at around 60k miles.
Look at the oil and check the maintenance records on it. If all looks good, I'd buy it.
I run a Banks setup in mine with a Big Hoss tuner stacked on top of a six gun change on the fly unit, exhaust brake, intercooler and intake with the Banks air system too.
Take care of it and have fun; it's a workhorse!

#4 ·
Nothing really wrong with an early 99 (pre 12/7/98 build date). But they do have slightly less power than the late 99 trucks because of smaller intake system and somewhat less injector fuel capacity. Probably not noticeable unless you were to compare side to side in a drag race in otherwise identical trucks.

#5 ·
I would go for it if the truck is in overall good shape. I picked one up last fall with 56,000 on it. Kevin came over and helped me put in new injector O rings. I have done lots of other small stuff and am very happy with a truck I can work on myself!!!!
DENNY

#6 ·
Went and checked out the truck today, it looks pretty good but I think I'm going to pass. It's a long bed automatic and I'd really prefer a short bed manual (although I'm not sure a manual is going to be very easy to find.)

The search goes on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
When I was looking for a truck I found a fair number of short bed Manual trucks with low milage. You may have to travel a bit to find one but they are around.
DENNY.

#10 ·
Great news! Good luck with the truck.
DENNY

#11 ·
One question - the truck has a 40-20-40 captains with console. I want to swap the console to the center seat - will that fit with the captains chairs, or do I have to completely replace the seats to get the center jumpseat? The drivers seat is torn along the seam on the door side, so it might make sense for me to replace the whole set.

#12 ·
I think* (*not positive) that they are the same seats except you have to remove the armrests to add the middle seat. I don't know if there is a plastic plug available to fill in the hole.

#13 ·
Yes you can. Phil is correct you have to remove the armrest seat just bolts in. I did it in my last truck, if I remember correctly you really don't notice the holes because the center pice covers them.
DENNY

#14 ·
Congrats on the new truck!

The single photo looks like a well maintained interior.

Get your signature filled out with some details :grin2:

#15 ·
Congrats on the new truck!

The single photo looks like a well maintained interior.

Get your signature filled out with some details :grin2:

I pick it up on Friday (have to move some cash between banks first, finances are a pain in the butt. I need someone to die and leave me loaded. ;) here's a couple more pics from the ad, I'll take more when I get it home :)

I think I'm going to look for a stock grill, I like the look better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.