The Diesel Stop banner

NEED SOME INFO. ABOUT THE REAR DIFF. IN MY 1999 FORD F-250

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  DEERSNIPER 
#1 ·
I HAVE A 1999 FORD F-250 THAT I PURCHASED OFF OF E-BAY FROM TEXAS.
I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT TRUCKS THAT COME FROM TEXAS MAY HAVE A 410 REAR DIFF. IN THEM
HAS ANYONE HEARD ANYTHING LIKE THAT?
HOW DO I FIND OUT IF MY TRUCK HAS THAT GEAR IN IT ?
I LOOKED AT THE REAR DIFF. AND IT HAD A TAG ON IT THAT SAID 409E
DOES THAT MEANT IT HAS A 410 ??
IF ANYONE COULD FILL ME IN THAT WOULD BE AWESOME...
THANK YOU VERY MUCH......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
If it has anything other than a 3.73 gear in it, it was changed after delivery. On the Superduty, F350 you can order one.
Jim

#3 ·
Welcome to TheDieselStop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Take a look at the build sticker on the driver's door post. You'll see on the bottom the word "axle" with a code underneath

Here's the list from the 99 Service CD.

31 — 3.73 non-limited slip, F-250, single rear wheels
32 — 4.10 non-limited slip, F-250, single rear wheels
33 — 4.30 non-limited slip, F-250, single rear wheels
36 — 4.56 non-limited slip, F-250, single rear wheels
C1 — 3.73 limited slip, F-250, single rear wheels
C2 — 4.10 limited slip, F-250, single rear wheels
C3 — 4.30 limited slip, F-250, single rear wheels
C6 — 4.56 limited slip, F-250, single rear wheels

Not all may have been available. Mostly you see the 3.73, either open or limited slip.

#4 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to TheDieselStop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Take a look at the build sticker on the driver's door post. You'll see on the bottom the word "axle" with a code underneath

Here's the list from the 99 Service CD.

31 — 3.73 non-limited slip, F-250, single rear wheels
32 — 4.10 non-limited slip, F-250, single rear wheels
33 — 4.30 non-limited slip, F-250, single rear wheels
36 — 4.56 non-limited slip, F-250, single rear wheels
C1 — 3.73 limited slip, F-250, single rear wheels
C2 — 4.10 limited slip, F-250, single rear wheels
C3 — 4.30 limited slip, F-250, single rear wheels
C6 — 4.56 limited slip, F-250, single rear wheels

Not all may have been available. Mostly you see the 3.73, either open or limited slip.

[/ QUOTE ]
What year did they quit giving the 4.10 as an option on the F250 diesel? I assumed he was asking about a diesel because of the forum he was in. I know the gassers had different ratios offered but in the 250 only the 3.73 has been offered for some time now.
Jim

#5 ·
I just rechecked the original sales brochure for my '99. The 3.73 was exclusive with the SRW configuration and the 4.10 with the DRW diesel package.

#6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I LOOKED AT THE REAR DIFF. AND IT HAD A TAG ON IT THAT SAID 409E
DOES THAT MEANT IT HAS A 410 ??

[/ QUOTE ]
NCFIREFIGHTER -- Howdy and welcome to TheDieselStop!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The 409E is more than likey a manufacturing code for when your rear axle was manucatured.

Cheers from Orlando, FL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Dave

#7 ·
[ QUOTE ]
What year did they quit giving the 4.10 as an option on the F250 diesel? I assumed he was asking about a diesel because of the forum he was in. I know the gassers had different ratios offered but in the 250 only the 3.73 has been offered for some time now.
Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they ever offered anything but 3.73's in the F250 w/PSD, but just posted the whole shebang just in case he was talking about a gasser. The Service CD cover's all models and engines, so it was probably a bit of overkill. Sorry if I confused anyone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

#9 ·
NCFIREFIGHTER,

I just bought my off Ebay. 99 F250.
I have changed all the fliuds except antifreeze.
I checked the rear end and had metal flakes in it. Decided to
change fluid. While taking off the rear cover, I found two metal tags
(one on the left and one on the right bolted to the cover). One tag gave the gear info the other have 75w140 synthetic ONLY!

I plan on another fluid change after a couple 1000 miles. Flush out some more flakes. 223,000 miles and acts new.

When I went to Advanced Auto, the guy helping me had a f150. They did not have a gasket for my truck (I had the cover w/ me). So he went and got a f150 gasket, said it should be the some. It was.

#10 ·
You just put silicone sealant on, there is no oem replacement gasket. Make sure you clean both surfaces before applying sealant.

-Dan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.