New Batteries and Alternator...still not charging. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Batteries and Alternator...still not charging.

Recently replaced both batteries. They gradually went dead after a couple of days of use. Then I replaced the alternator, but it is still not charging. To top it off my code reader is not working for some mysterious reason. Help! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2006, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Re: New Batteries and Alternator...still not charging.

Did you recharge the dead batteries with a dedicated battery charger or attempt to charge them with the new alternator? The latter procedure is not recommended and frequently will burn out the voltage regulator in the alternator. There is a fuse link in the wire to the battery (goes to the passenger side battery). If this fuse link blew, the alternator may be putting out the juice but it is not getting to the batteries. Use a continuity tester to make sure this connection is intact. If the connection is intact, charge the batteries, and take to your local autoparts store to test in the truck or remove the alternator and have it tested where you purchased it. It must be in warranty.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2006, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

The reason I thought that the new alternator was not charging is because the batteries didn't charge after running a while with the new alternator. Now I've charged the batteries with a battery charger and did some checking with the multimeter.

Battery Voltage without engine running: 13V
Battery Voltage with engine running: 13.7 - 14 V
Current from alternator to battery: 2.9 - 3.5 amps

Seems like the charging voltage is still low?
Old 08-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Those numbers sound reasonable to me.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Does it seem reasonable that the new alternator did not charge the batteries, but after charging them with a battery charger the alternator is now working?
Old 08-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

It may not have been able to put out enough current to charge the batteries. How many amps is the alternator rated for. My alternator (WranglerNW) is rated for 200 amps. So I know that it will keep up with the demands I place on it. You might simulate a load test by turning on a bunch of circuits ie. lights, wipers, stereo etc and se if the voltage drops and what the current is from the alternator?
Old 08-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Don't know about amps. I'll check.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

good way to check amp output is put amp meter on hot wire of alt and put a load tester on batts and load them and monitor the amps
2002 F-350 4wd psd. hx 48 turbo, single shot injectors, dual stage nitrous, 4 inch duals, 3 pos custom tuned dp chip,ccv mod, aih delete mod,itp regulated return, oil crossover line, sp diesel 10 level kit, afe stage 2 cold air kit, and many other mods and inventions made to engine. monstorbox tranny,triple disc tq, ladder bars, 4 inch susp lift, dick cepek tires on american racing rims and beadlocks, Ford AIC, Auto Enguinity.Billet Badges, custom badges.F-444 Gettin' Stroked

White 2-180 3208 cat
Massey Ferguson 35 3 cyl perkins
Massey Ferguson 6180 6 cyl perkins
Massey Ferguson 255 4 cyl perkins
Massey Ferguson 65 4 cyl perkins
Agco LT-75 4 cyl Cummins
Case 1845C Skid Steer 4 cyl cummins
Case 580 construction King Backhoe 4 cyl case
1986 F-250 6.9 IDI 4x4 265,000 miles *sold*
1994 4wd f-250 ext cab psd
2180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

The alternator requires voltage from the batteries to create a field in the alternator. If the batteries were dead the alternator will not charge. even if the engine is running.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

An alternator will not completely charge dead batteries. You need to charge your batteries w/ a actual battery charger if they were dead. It's best to trickle charge them overnight if they were really low.

Truck Pic's
QtrHorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

[ QUOTE ]
The alternator requires voltage from the batteries to create a field in the alternator. If the batteries were dead the alternator will not charge. even if the engine is running.

[/ QUOTE ]

The engine won't run if the batteries are dead and the alternator is not charging.
03 F250 SD PSD Lariat 7.3, FX4 Crew Cab Short Box, 3.73 Gears, Auto Tranny, Jody Tipton 80 HP Econo Tune, Turbo Back 4" Exhaust W/5" Tip, Home Made Tymar, Isspro Gauges, T/C Lock Up Switch, 203 Degree Thermostat, Coolant Filter, Upgraded Headlight Wiring Harness, Diode Mod for Dims, Bilstein Shocks, Kenwood Head Unit, Sirius Radio, Valentine 1
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2006, 02:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
An alternator will not completely charge dead batteries. You need to charge your batteries w/ a actual battery charger if they were dead. It's best to trickle charge them overnight if they were really low.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is what happened. I haven't had any problems since, and I have driven at least 1000 miles with my headlights on.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Read all the posts. Thanks for all the info. Still living on org. batteries 2000 F-250 SD. Spins OK.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Make sure your Ground wire is connected to the frame

Your gound wire that runs from the smaller nut on the case of your alternator needs to be grounded to battery of frame or your unit will not work.
Tap case if brushes are carboned up this will allow the spring in the brush holder to push on brushes to slip ring. the 1991 are very good and easy to rebuild ;the stator wires ocassionally suffer from the sodder breaking off.
I have rebuild starters and alternators for years.
You can trigger your alternator by using a short wire clip to one of the brush holders to the battery larger terminal on the alternator. These apply to the 70 and 90 amp larger case ford alternator. You can hear a sound as you trigger the field.
Alternators need a certain RPM from engine to excite ;unless it is a marine excites with special 900 RPM's Normally alternators need RPM of about 1200 to excite the unit.
Rmartel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

You replied to a 6 year old thread.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.