The Diesel Stop banner

new to me 2001 7.3 wanting advice on preventive measures

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ReefBlue 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have been driving my new 2001 ccsb f250 165xxx miles for about a month now and I love it. It replaced a Nissan frontier I used to tow boats for my company and eventualy just blew up. The title may be a bit misleading, I am anal about fluid changes and filters and the likes, but what Im more interested in, is having some piece of mind my trucks in good shape. I checked the obvious things when I bought it, and Ill note, at idle, when I removed the crankcase oil fill, no smoke, pressure, no puffing, perfect neutral pressure. Im pretty sure that's damn good at 165k right? No obvious oil leaks under hood other than the leaky looking blue seals on the airways, should I even worry about it? starts and drives perfectly, other than I notice on days less than 30f, when I first pull out of the drive way, it has extremely limited power for maybe 50 yards. feels like an electronic saftey maybe. I also feel like my 4r100 is a ticking time bomb although it seems to operate fine.

Any vital things I should check for a little peace of mind that Im not ignoring an issue somewhere? Thanks for any help

#2 ·
Sounds pretty sweet. When you open the oil cap you should see at least a slight blowby puff coming out, perfectly normal. Leave it alone if it aint broke. Your morning hesitancy is just as it should be,and the tranny doesnt have to be a bomb unless you feel the need to chip your truck. In that case ,budget for a tranny. Your best bet for longevity and reliability is to follow the Ford owners manual, and take it seriously. Inspect it once a week and check fluids. I found a missing lug nut yesterday. My own 250 has 287k on it and except for a squealing idler 4 months ago, not one failure ever. Stay on top of fluids filters and belts and you can drive that thing for years. for further help go to FORD.com/support for the latest service bulletins and diesel owners supplement.
Now let the circus begin as you are assailed to chip it,jack it up, pipes, and sundry mods that will cost more than money.

#3 ·
like he said

let the assaile begin . if you keep it simple , do like the man said , go by the book , you will be a happy trucker . also , theres a veritable wealth of knowledge on this site , no trucker should be without . good luck with the truck .

#4 ·
theres a veritable wealth of knowledge on this site , no trucker should be without . good luck with the truck .
+1000
Love my 2001 more every time I drive it.

#7 ·
Yes.

They're not just oily, but you're losing boost through them. The oil isn't leaking through the boots, the oil is being pushed out by air pressure.

www.dieselsite.com has the best boots. I could barely ever get my truck over 10psi before I replaced all of them. Now I can get over 15 if I stand on it and all I did was replace the boots.

#6 ·
Mine are dirty too. I found on my last truck I pulled all the couplers and cleaned them then re tightened them. After a good bath the leaks stopped. From the amount of dirt I cleaned out I am surprised it didn't leak more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.