No 4WD and no dash light - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tykesplace View Post
I called a tech to make sure I was looking at the right one. I also asked about the 4WD functions. He confirmed that the t-case motor only engages/disengages 4L. Moving between 2WD and 4WD is engaged inside the t-case and is controlled directly by the GEM. He said this is why you don't feel anything when engaging 4H. Almost like a clutch. However 4L is a mechanical engagement triggered by the motor and therefore the clunk when going to 4L.
That guy is WRONG. The motor (or single shift lever on the manual t-case) controls all the functions. The manual shifter is all the way forward for 2L, middle is 4H, and all the way back is 4L, (with neutral in between 4H and 4L), all done with the same lever. The motor works the same way.

The position switch controls the motor operation thru the GEM, by activating or de-activating the relays. The switch tells the GEM to engage the relay to start the motor and the switch tells the GEM when it's in the position selected and opens the relay to stop the motor.

And the switch does use different resistances to talk to the GEM.

I wouldn't change out the GEM till you confirm that all your wiring matches the diagram. It's possible that you didn't get everything reconnected right, or still have an open circuit somewhere.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here

Last edited by klhansen; 11-19-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: corrected manual t-case shift pattern
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
So the shift motor has three positions? Looking at the diagram I don't see how that happens. On page 1 I see the L2H Relay and the H2L Relay both go to the transfer case shift motor. I don't see the t-case shift motor anywhere else on the diagram. The only wires going to the shift motor are the Orange and Yellow and they come from the L2H and H2L relays. Is there more inside that I can't see or that aren't on the diagram?

On page 3 it shows the switch going to the GEM, which in turn goes to the t-case contact plates A, B, C, D, and VCC. I don't know what those are. It also has leads to the brake pedal position and trans range sensor so you can only go in 4L with the brake depressed and trans in neutral.

Am I missing something? I will be testing wires tonight after work. Not sure I can get a GEM right now anyway. Every place I looked is out of stock.
tykesplace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrencher View Post
Attachment 15589Here's the one I fixed. Sorry kind of blurry when enlarged.
Thanks Wrencher. What did you do to repair it? Hard to see.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
So the shift motor has three positions?
The shift motor doesn't really have "positions". It just runs forward or backward. The position switch tells the GEM when to turn the motor off. Say you're in 2H, and flip the switch to 4H - The GEM starts the motor going toward LOW position, and the position switch tells the GEM to stop the motor as it gets to 4H. Same thing going in the opposite direction.

A, B, C, & D are the position switch outputs to the GEM, The VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) input is for going to 4L, telling the GEM that the vehicle is stopped, and it's OK to move to/from 4L. Similarly, the brake and tranny shift on position inputs restrict the motor from moving unless in neutral and brake is on, as you already figured out.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

So the relays aren't just for H2L and L2H. They move the motor along all three positions. One relay moves the motor one direction, the other relay moves the motor in the other direction. The GEM reads the outputs from the transfer case and stops the motor in the correct position based on the switch position.
So I'm still left with confirming integrity of the wires, relays, and fuses. If those are good then the GEM is the only thing left. Correct? If so I might be up a creek. The factory is out on those until March and all of the places online are saying out of stock until then. Not really keen on getting one from a junkyard.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #21 (permalink)

Yes, if you can confirm that everything is wired correctly and you check the actual function of the position switch (they can go bad also), then that pretty much narrows it down to the GEM.

I don't think that a wrecking yard GEM would be a giant risk, but that's up to you. You do have to get one that matches your year and trim level, and they need to be programmed to exactly match your truck. So I'd exahust all other possibilities first.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #22 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Thanks Wrencher. What did you do to repair it? Hard to see.
Soldered it (acid free). Then put super glue over to seal it.
2002 F-350 CC Shortbed, Rebuilt 7.3 Powerstroke, 192K, head studs, Adrenalin HPOP, DIY BHAF, EBV brake mod, New motor, New trans both @ 170K, 4" Lift, 35" BFG KM2, GEAR HEAD 6 Position, Banks Big Head Wastegate, 4" Duals, Superlift Air Bags, B&W Hide a ball W/ 5th Wheel Companion, Marinco mod

LOCAL 3 OPERATORS UNION UTAH
LOCAL 140 PIPE WELDERS/ FITTERS UNION UTAH
Wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

Well I've tested as best I could. The wires I tested have continuity. I hope I tested all the necessary ones. So I searched again for a GEM. The Ford factory parts are non-existant until March. I ended up ordering an A1Cardone unit. 30 day money back guarantee so I can return it if it's not the problem. If that doesn't do it I guess I have some more diagnostics, though I don't know what else I can check.

As an aside, while pulling the 7 pin connector from the t-case I broke the retaining clip. So I have the plug held tight with wire. Anyone know of source where I can purchase those types of plugs to patch in?

Also, the GEM matches my trim. ESOF, power windows, no keyless. Am I going to need it programmed by the dealer anyway?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #24 (permalink)

I believe it's the GEM that takes care of speedo calibration, but I'll check that for sure later. You'll at least need to get that checked. Were you able to check the condition of the position switch? To do that, you'd have to remove it from the t-case and run it thru all positions while checking continuity thru the switch contacts at the terminals.

On the wiring connector, you can check with Ford for a matching pigtail. Here's the catalog:
http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...torcatalog.pdf

Old 11-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Ford Engine Wiring Harness - Wiring Harness - MSD - PartsGeek.com - Ranger F150 F350 Bronco II E250 Econoline Mustang

This site has plugs, harnesses ect.
2002 F-350 CC Shortbed, Rebuilt 7.3 Powerstroke, 192K, head studs, Adrenalin HPOP, DIY BHAF, EBV brake mod, New motor, New trans both @ 170K, 4" Lift, 35" BFG KM2, GEAR HEAD 6 Position, Banks Big Head Wastegate, 4" Duals, Superlift Air Bags, B&W Hide a ball W/ 5th Wheel Companion, Marinco mod

LOCAL 3 OPERATORS UNION UTAH
LOCAL 140 PIPE WELDERS/ FITTERS UNION UTAH
Wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:26 AM   #26 (permalink)

Here's the stuff the GEM needs to be programmed for (from the Ford service manual):
4WD ESOF
Overspeed Warning
Beltminder
Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)
Transmission Type
One Touch Down
Delayed Accessory
Brake System Configuration

Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #27 (permalink)

Thanks for that. Dealer says it could take up to an hour at $100 per to program it.

Is the position switch what the larger harness connects to? I pulled the harness but didn't remove the switch.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #28 (permalink)

The position switch has the 6-pin connector. You shouldn't have to remove the switch to test it if you can get your meter into the connector to probe individual terminals.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #29 (permalink)

What am I checking them for? Voltage? Continuity to something else?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #30 (permalink)

Continuity between pins as you move the switch. I think pin 4 ground on the diagram I posted would be common for your meter, and the other lead to each of the lettered terminals (1-D, 3-B, 6-C, and 5-A). Not sure about the VCC contact. I thought that was VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) previously. I'll have to dig a bit deeper and will post what I find out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.