The Diesel Stop banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NO GO REAR BEARINGS

988 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Maryland dieselnick 
#1 ·
This guy had been in his rear hub messing with his parking brakes.

In this photo, you will see the inner race has been spinning on spindle.

Note lateral scoring accompanied by heat discoloration.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
When in this situation pay close attention to the spindle surface.
Ford saved money by specing this bad boy out. The spindle is not replaceable nor is there a removeable seal ring.

Locktite green flange locker can be used on inside of bearing race that rides on the spindle.

Note: If you are not very well experienced in this field and you have a situation that is marginal, please stop and have somebody experienced look at what you have. These trucks can be used to carry tremendous loads. You go and use things that are not new or beyond marginal, things get get extremely hot, start tearing things up and then things can go deadly from there.
When I was a child my father had the bearings and brakes replaced on the old family truckster befor taking us up to Maine for vacation. We made it to NJ on I95. Going over a bridge the wheel, hub and axle flew off up and over to the wall and into the air of the other side of I95. While in the air, it and a motorcyclist collided. Motorcyclist did not win that battle, neither did the service station after its insurance company also lost.

You never know the service a truck may see and as explained, lives are in the balance.

Attachments

#4 ·
Now that will leave an impression on a young mind!

#6 ·
You need to cut those finger nails Nick, when your wrenching, is that Hot Pink.>:)

#7 ·
I don't know how he does it. I can't keep my nails that clean when I'm doing hubs...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Maryland dieselnick
#11 ·
Nick

Been here working out bugs. Learned about liquid tape as my main harness decided to rub on bracket over valve cover. Gettin a new degas bottle ordered as mine finally cracked and trying to find a good way to figure out which injector is leaking fuel at idle. Normal woes lol. Also posted in general about checking for cracks in our aging wheels. Nice wake up call especially when you have no spare.

#12 · (Edited)
I'll have to check that out. Do you have AAA? It's a good deal but if in a diesel truck, it's good to upgrade from base plan. I don't recall specifics.
Buy a thermometer and point it at the manifold where each cylinder comes out to manifold.
You can put them in a box, send to Arundel Diesel to be sonically cleaned( coking on tip will de atomize part of the spray pattern making it seem as a leaker), poppet clearance checked and then flow tested into graduated cylinders to observe spray pattern and flow for $200. They have next day turn around.
It's a good deal. It's a lot of work. First gen mechanical injectors are $10 a pop to pop test, so in my opinion $25 a pop is fair. Just changing orings flairs my arthritis for 3 days. Sometimes it's best just to sacrifice the money and have it done right.

#13 ·
No AAA for me lol. Hard to find dually parts local or diesel parts for that matter. Ill try the thermometer thing again. last time the all seemed to be the same temp. Ive run liquidmolly diesel purge and always run diesel kleen. Plus injectors should be not coked up since my rering job. Flow test would be best but i wish i didnt have to send them off to do it. I hate other people touching my vehicles. If it flows bad then what?

#14 ·
Visit their site. They are straight up.
You can buy a Dremel engraver and number them to cylinder numbers and your name on the side of hold down plate.
Give Bill Sr. over there and tell him what you have and he will tell you your options.
They are awesome, honest, a family owned and run business, do great work at a fair price and you will get back YOUR injectors. Rebuilds you don't know the history of.
Food for thought
Bill SR. will spend time with you on phone before you send them.
I think upon visiting site and speaking with Bill Sr. will help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.