No power under load/tow - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No power under load/tow

I have a 2000 F350 with 7.3 diesel. It drives normal around town and on highway...but put a small trailer behind it and it is struggling to go 70mph and pulling moderate hills at 45mph in 2nd gear. (2000lb trailer). I replaced fuel filter, air filter, cleaned a little soot out of the EBP tube. I took it to a shop and no codes come up and boost and turbo are OK. This truck use to pull a big enclosed trailer at any speed and no problem. Any input would be appreciated! (All stock engine, no chip/exhaust/intake)
stealth motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth motorsports View Post
I have a 2000 F350 with 7.3 diesel. It drives normal around town and on highway...but put a small trailer behind it and it is struggling to go 70mph and pulling moderate hills at 45mph in 2nd gear. (2000lb trailer). I replaced fuel filter, air filter, cleaned a little soot out of the EBP tube. I took it to a shop and no codes come up and boost and turbo are OK. This truck use to pull a big enclosed trailer at any speed and no problem. Any input would be appreciated! (All stock engine, no chip/exhaust/intake)
You say boost is ok, what kind of numbers are you seeing? I can't imagine a 2000# trailer is causing that much of a difference. I would think it is probably not pulling to capacity even when unloaded. It is probably just more noticeable when towing. Are you seeing higher or lower RPM's? If your trans is slipping it will limit you towing and may not be as noticeable unloaded. Also the shop you took it to, what kind of scanner did they use? A shop should have a full capability scanner but some of the generic ones will not read codes on our trucks.

Some things to look for are;
1) Soot on the up-pipes to the turbo, if they are leaking you are not getting full exaust pressure to build boost.
2) Look at the EBPV to make sure it is fully open, creates a restriction in the exhaust.
3) Check your intercooler tube boots to make sure none of them have blown off or are split.
4) Check the Wastegate actuator to make sure it is hooked up correctly.
5) Check fuel pressure (requires a gauge and a adapter)
6) Make sure the oil is not excessively over due for a change
7) You may also need to run some diagnostics on the High Pressure Oil System to make sure you are getting full oil pressure. (will require hook-up to a scanner by a dealer or shop with a quality scanner)
2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
woodnthings8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

I went to the shop today and they found I had 15lbs of boost, turbo tight and good, no leaks on the intercooler or turbo hoses. The y did a cylinder contribution test and said #8injector may be clogged or bad. They flushed the injectors and put some stuff in my fuel. I read that the grey CPS may throw a code falsely blaming #8. I don't know my fuel pressure at the bowl. What do you think? What do I do now? (no change in power)
Any info or suggestions welcome....I need to fix this truck!
stealth motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth motorsports View Post
I went to the shop today and they found I had 15lbs of boost, turbo tight and good, no leaks on the intercooler or turbo hoses. The y did a cylinder contribution test and said #8injector may be clogged or bad. They flushed the injectors and put some stuff in my fuel. I read that the grey CPS may throw a code falsely blaming #8. I don't know my fuel pressure at the bowl. What do you think? What do I do now? (no change in power)
Any info or suggestions welcome....I need to fix this truck!
You can get a fuel pressure tester at most auto parts stores for around $50 you will need an adapter like this Ford 7.3L Powerstroke Fuel Pressure Gauge Adapter Fitting You can probably get an adapter like this locally too, just look around. I think if your truck is running fine unloaded going up hills you are getting enough fuel though. Does your trailer have brakes? There is a chance that the brakes on the trailer could be dragging and causing the extra load.....just a thought!

15-17 psi on a stock truck is about right, maybe a little low but not a huge amount. You could try disconnecting the line to your wastegate actuator and plug it, See if that helps you any. Some guys disconnect it all the time to get the actuator closed longer. You could have a bad wastegate solenoid allowing pressure to the wastegate actuator all the time.
2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
woodnthings8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would drop the tank and check the screens in the mixing chamber or do a pre pump filter mod.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.