Originally Posted by stealth motorsports
I have a 2000 F350 with 7.3 diesel. It drives normal around town and on highway...but put a small trailer behind it and it is struggling to go 70mph and pulling moderate hills at 45mph in 2nd gear. (2000lb trailer). I replaced fuel filter, air filter, cleaned a little soot out of the EBP tube. I took it to a shop and no codes come up and boost and turbo are OK. This truck use to pull a big enclosed trailer at any speed and no problem. Any input would be appreciated! (All stock engine, no chip/exhaust/intake)
You say boost is ok, what kind of numbers are you seeing? I can't imagine a 2000# trailer is causing that much of a difference. I would think it is probably not pulling to capacity even when unloaded. It is probably just more noticeable when towing. Are you seeing higher or lower RPM's? If your trans is slipping it will limit you towing and may not be as noticeable unloaded. Also the shop you took it to, what kind of scanner did they use? A shop should have a full capability scanner but some of the generic ones will not read codes on our trucks.
Some things to look for are;
1) Soot on the up-pipes to the turbo, if they are leaking you are not getting full exaust pressure to build boost.
2) Look at the EBPV to make sure it is fully open, creates a restriction in the exhaust.
3) Check your intercooler tube boots to make sure none of them have blown off or are split.
4) Check the Wastegate actuator to make sure it is hooked up correctly.
5) Check fuel pressure (requires a gauge and a adapter)
6) Make sure the oil is not excessively over due for a change
7) You may also need to run some diagnostics on the High Pressure Oil System to make sure you are getting full oil pressure. (will require hook-up to a scanner by a dealer or shop with a quality scanner)
2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing
, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket,
Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....