Noise in driver's side front end of '02 F250 4X4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2005, 01:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noise in driver's side front end of '02 F250 4X4

Does anyone out there know what may be causing a "clunk" noise in the Driver's side front suspension on my '02 F250 4X4? I am not the only one that I know with this problem and we can't seem to find it. I have had two local shops check the bearrings for movement, but everything looks tight. Put all new shocks on to no avail. Clunking noise is only noticible at lower speeds when the driver's side suspension is compressed due to a bump and can be felt through the floor board. If any one out there has any ideas, we would really appreciate the feed back. Thanks, Todh
todh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2005, 01:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Noise in driver's side front end of '02 F250 4X4

i have an 02 f250 4x4 with an 8" fabtech lift. i would routinely have to retighten my front sway bar links to keep them from making popping noises when i hit bumps. more recently i got stuck in a ditch and had to be pulled out by a tractor. ever since then when i turn to the right and hit a bump(like a driveway, etc.) i get a big thump that i hear and feel through the floorboard. it only happens when turned to the right. i thought it might be the tie rod hitting the lower track bar mount. i had my wife duplicate while i stood by to watch and that wasnt it so now i have no clue. probably gonna take it in.
2002 F250, 8" Fabtech Lift, 37" Goodyear Wrangler GSA tires, Hypertech III Programmer, Triple Pillar Autometer Gauges, Front & Rear Mag-Hytech Diff Covers, Billet Grill, Fumoto Drain Valve, 1600 watt JL Audio Stereo System.
ohtueftufiftee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2005, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Endlinks, Endlinks, Endlinks. The bushings have gone bad and need replaced. You can get polyurethane replacements from Energy Suspension for $36. That includes everything you need for the whole swaybar. One other possible source for the noise could be track bar bushings. Either way, it is a pretty easy fix.
Early 99 F-350 PSD XL, 4x4,6spd, SPA Digital Gauges, A Pillar install, Swamp's F*ME Injectors, Modified H2E Turbo, Dual HPOP's, 4" Exhaust, Chrome Single Stack, Upgraded PCM (DAC 3), 6pos Chip w/ Swamp's Custom Programming, High Flow Fuel system, Regulated Return Fuel System and Upgraded Fuel Feed Lines, South Bend FE Clutch, Turbo Temp Minder, ESP Performance Pre Luber, PSC Delphi Steering Pump, Fabtech 3.5" Hanger Kit, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Dynatrac Superduty Hub Conversion, Warn Premium Locking Hubs, Daystar Polyurethane Bushings, 315/75 BFG All Terrains on Alcoa Wheels, CCV Mod, AMSOIL Synthetic Everywhere, FS2500 Bypass Filter, MAG-HYTEC diff covers, Firestone Air Spings w/leveling valve, On Board Air, Harpooned Tank, Aux Batt on Isolator, Espar Hydronic 5 Coolant Heater, 110 gal Custom Inbed Tank, Stainless Braided Brake Lines, LineX Bed Liner, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller, B&W Turnover Gooseneck Ball, B&W Tow&Stow Hitch
eng211ine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2005, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

its not the sway bars. i disconnected both sway bar links and truck still clunks when turning right and hitting a driveway, etc. i checked the track bar mounts. both were tight and looked fine but i wasnt really sure what i was looking for. i noticed that i could pivot my drag link pretty easily with one hand and it would make a clunk. is that normal? could being pulled out of a ditch(it was a hard pull with a tractor, not straight but to the left) damage the ball joints or leaf springs? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
2002 F250, 8" Fabtech Lift, 37" Goodyear Wrangler GSA tires, Hypertech III Programmer, Triple Pillar Autometer Gauges, Front & Rear Mag-Hytech Diff Covers, Billet Grill, Fumoto Drain Valve, 1600 watt JL Audio Stereo System.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Todh,

If you can feel the "clunk" with your feet, I'd be for checking the spring bushings, namely, the rear ones on the front springs. They have a nasty habit of wobblin' out and letting that spring come up.

Sure doesn't sound right with that new of a truck, but somewhere the sprung and un-sprung weight of your truck is crossing paths.

Allan
AllanInNE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2005, 07:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (17)

I dont know if you have a lift or not, but if you do, or you had any anything done up front, I would check the trac arm. You said it was tight but it needs to be torqued correctly, or it will make a "clunk" sound as you described, especially in turns. They ar often too tight and that could be the problem.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mine was doing the same thing, I could feel it on the floor board. I felt pretty stupid when I found out it was the shock bushings. Cheap fix though. Good luck.
2001 f250 platinum, gauges, 5" exhaust no muffler w/ 6" tip, 6.0 intercooler, regulated return no C/Vs, in-tank mod, AIH mod, 203 degree thermostat, 10k, overboost kit, HX, heater bypass, electric fans, zoodad, tripplelock converter, tricumulator/sonnax valve, T/C lockup switch, 4pos. DP Tuner chip!, huge intake, ccv mod, tru-cool tranny cooler, oilguard bypass, etc. ect.
2001platinum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2005, 08:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Wasn't there also an issue with the body to cab mount causing a clunk under the floorboard?
Old 10-07-2005, 08:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

i disconected the shocks entirely to test for that but it still clunks. as for a body mount issue, i did notice that the two body mounts under the driver and passenger look like they might move a little because the undercoating surrounding them is a little scraped away and when i checked the other body mounts none of the frame undercoating was disturbed. they look like theyre tightened from the inside of the truck. any help is appreciated.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey Guys, Good News!!!! After trying several of the suggestions made to this post, I ordered and installed new end link bushings from Energy Suspensions. The new bushings helped but did not solve the problem entirely. I replaced the upper and lower end link bolts with newer snugger fitting bolts and the noise is gone as well as the occasional popping sound. I have an aftermarket leveling kit on my truck, so your bolt and endlink sizes may be different then mine, but don't stop at the bushings themselves if the noise continues after replacement. The fellows at Energy Suspension were great. They went above and beyond the call of duty when it came to getting me the correct sized bushings for my application. A big thanks to all of you for your helpful advice.
todh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2005, 11:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

I had a clunk whenever I hit the brakes. The balljoints were toast.
Early 99' F250 PSD CC shorty 4x4 Lariat. A-pillar gages. Trans,boost,and EGTs. 4" Magnaflow exhaust, Pypes 8" tip, AFE stage 2 w/ Proguard 7. intank & prepump mod. Pooned tank, DP tuner F6, econo, 6.5" Procomp all-spring slightly modified running 5100 Bilsteins, 18" Max Helos on 35" Toyo MTs, hybrid 250/100 GTP38R w1.15 nonwastegated exhaust housing, Bellowed uppipes, Terminator pumps, EBV delete, 180 terminator stat with alum housing. H11 head studs, 910 vs, regulated return, coolant filter, Zoodad mod, and fumoto valve. 102k on the clock, BTS trans, 6.0L trans cooler, and 08 tailgate.
hymark800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2005, 11:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

check your sway bar links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.