noise from torque converter area? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
noise from torque converter area?

since i got my 99 f350 it has made a noise from the torque converter area. it was taken into ford when it was new and they said it was supposed to sound like that. i have seen alot of 99s out there with the same motor and they do not sound like that at all. it really makes me mad when a lady working at a local drug store tells me my truck needs some major work when ford told me it was perfectly fine and not to worry about it. it has been good and still strong after 140k but i would like to get stop the noise seeing that it is very loud. im sure someone here has had or has this problem and i would like to know what i should to or need to do inorder for this thing to sound like a real power stroke. please help wiht whatever feedback you can.

thanks

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Re: noise from torque converter area?

A rattling torque converter is not uncommon on the 99-2000 trucks.

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/trimmed Snorkel; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED; Auto Magic Heater Bypass; 2W Low Switch.
Cool_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

why is that was wrong with it?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

The torque converter should have been replaced under warrany years back. But more than likely someone/previous owner took Fords word, it's normal, and took the truck back thinking so, so they didn't change it out. The rattleing your hearing is the converter clutch. The noise dissappears when the clutch is locked up(hwy spped) and then will come back once your speed has dropped below 40mph or there about. I'm surprised it has lasted this long, but the only fix would be to drop the trans and replace the converter. There is/was TSB(technical service bulletin) out on this issue many years ago, back in 12-98 and should/could have been fixed on Fords dime. The truck is so much quieter with the rattling gone. Rich
Early 99 F250 XLT,White/Silver,4x4,SC,SB,A/T,PMT1,ARE LSII tonneau,Amp Research power steps,MB Razor's,295-60-20 Nitto Trail Grapplers,Rhino Liner,Rancho9000's,Bushwacker Street Flares,DP-Tuner F5,True-Cool Max,AFE modified-W.D.RamAir,5"Hypermax exhaust,Hypermax DP,Firestone Ride-Rites,2.5" front leveling leafs,AutoMeter-ProComps/triple pillar,heated TTT mirrors,DEI remote start,Amsoil enhanced.
Rich D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2006, 12:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Do you think even now I could go to Ford and if it wasnt done previously could I atleast get a new torque convertor... not installed but atleast get the part for free? Mine is a 4/98 model and its loud as a hell.

Kwik Filter
Marks 5" exhaust
DP-Tuner F5 Stock, Hi-Idle,60hp Tow, 80hp Econo,120 Smoke
Paint Matched A Pillar Gauges
Boost, Pyro, Trans Temp
bimrpwr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2006, 06:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

You're joking right? Sorry not a chance. The time to get it replaced was several years ago now it will be on your dime. PM a member named Richter69 he knows a lot about our trannies and recommends a good converter for around $400 if I remember. You can spend up to $1500 on one of these, so listen to what Richter tells you.
Good Luck.
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

White Stroker
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2006, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (38)

John's converter is 595 delivered last time I checked.
I know a good source for Suncoast converters at a good price too.

We had this discussion a while ago and I'm at the conclusion that I would not buy an expensive aftermarket converter and put it in a stock transmission.

If you're planning on making big power, you need a built tranny anyway, if not, a NEW stock unit is designed to work with the stock internals of the tranny and will do so just fine.

I don't know about the UCC one's Richter uses or Suncoast, but a the Precision Industries converter used in BTS applications has a greater torque multiplication than the stock converter. This can and will kill the rest of the stock tranny, especially at higher than stock hp levels.
So then you have a $1200 converter that just destroyed your tranny, and you can't reuse it cause it's most likely junk because of the tranny dying.

I know Richter should be able to set you up with something that is good for a near stock application, and I can check on Suncoast specs if you're interested.
I guess my point is, choose your converter carefully.

gregrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2006, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

thx alot. do u guys think i should replace the converter now or just wait for the tranny to go out. it has 140k
Old 09-08-2006, 07:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Im in the same boat I am 100% sure its the t/c and now that I know that's my problem I am saving my $ for a t/c. I will be interested in how it turns out for you. I am just having a hard time finding someone in the va. beach va. area to do good work on my 99.5.
99.5 F-350 c/c AFE stage 2, 4" Magna Flow turbo-back,SCT-programmer w/ elite diesel tunes by tadd,triple gauges, foil removal,clear headlights and corners, new 05 emblems,,tv/dvd, 4" lift on 35" atz's with 20x10 moto metal wheels,
trav685 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
thx alot. do u guys think i should replace the converter now or just wait for the tranny to go out. it has 140k

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a tough one. I just replaced mine last year for the same reasons but I only have 70k on my truck. I just got tired of everyone telling me there was something wrong with my truck. Since I changed it is like a new truck and I love driving it again. I can go through drive thrus without shutting down.
I just went with a stock converter from powerstrokeshop.com and had a local shop change it for $300. I think it cost me total of $650 inlcuding all new synthetic fluid.
99 F250 SD 4x4, Bilstein, Mag HyTech Diff. cover and trans. cover, BFG AT KO, Husky mats, LoJack, AFE air intake, Jardine 4" Exhaust/Magnaflow muffler, Pillar mount with Autometer gauges, Wet Okole, SCMT. HX mod, Pre-pump mod.
2000 Excursion V10, Mag Hi-Tech covers
John H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.